Shoe recommendations?

lukacseven

Original Poster
I just purchased a pair of the Newton Gravitas Trainers - my third pair of Newtons. I've tried about a dozen other running shoes, but I always come back to Newton. My key to running shoes is a low, zero, or negative heel to toe ratio and a less than 10 oz. weight. Saucony is marketing the Kinvara as a minimalist shoe, and although light, they have quite a heel and alot of heel cushioning which I don't need. Can anyone recommend a good running shoe to try that meets my above mentioned criteria and is not loaded with heel cushioning for under $175 (price of a pair of Newtons)???

I've been training in the Nike Free 3.0 and I like them for shorter distances and for indoors. I need something for racing - half marathon to marathon.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I just purchased a pair of the Newton Gravitas Trainers - my third pair of Newtons. I've tried about a dozen other running shoes, but I always come back to Newton. My key to running shoes is a low, zero, or negative heel to toe ratio and a less than 10 oz. weight. Saucony is marketing the Kinvara as a minimalist shoe, and although light, they have quite a heel and alot of heel cushioning which I don't need. Can anyone recommend a good running shoe to try that meets my above mentioned criteria and is not loaded with heel cushioning for under $175 (price of a pair of Newtons)???

I've been training in the Nike Free 3.0 and I like them for shorter distances and for indoors. I need something for racing - half marathon to marathon.

You could try the following:

-Saucony A3 or A4
-Brooks Green Silence
-Terra Plana Evo

Hope that helps.

Phonedave

Sorry, I just switched from lower profile shoes (Saucony Ride series) to a shoes with a higher heel (Asics Gel Kayano) mainly because I got sick of my feet going numb and my right knee falling apart when I run.

I don't know your weight, but you might be able to get away with Saucony Grid Type A4's. I know that there is no way I would run a marathon in them, but then I am big (6'4" 205 lbs) - I beat the heck out of shoes. The A4's are very low with almost no heel at all. For lighter runners or shorter distances they may work out. They are around $100.

Hah, I see DD suggested A4's as well. :)

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sorry, I just switched from lower profile shoes (Saucony Ride series) to a shoes with a higher heel (Asics Gel Kayano) mainly because I got sick of my feet going numb and my right knee falling apart when I run.

I don't know your weight, but you might be able to get away with Saucony Grid Type A4's. I know that there is no way I would run a marathon in them, but then I am big (6'4" 205 lbs) - I beat the heck out of shoes. The A4's are very low with almost no heel at all. For lighter runners or shorter distances they may work out. They are around $100.

Hah, I see DD suggested A4's as well. :)

-dave

Sorry I beat ya to it! I had a pair of A4 that I wanted to do half marathons in...but I could hardly get through a 5k with them. They were super light and fast, but seeing how injury prone my feet are, they KILLED.

To lukacseven: Also, check out Mizuno. I think they just came out with a very minimal shoe.

WishIwasThere

What I would recommend is going to a place that speciallizes in running shoes, like Fleet Feet. They are all around the country, but there are only like 50 or so stores so one might not be near you.

They carry a wide variety of shoes, perform a gait analysis, find out what kind of runner you are and what you are looking for in a shoe. They let you take them home a try them. You don't like them after a couple runs...bring them back. The store is probably a little more expensive then other places like Nike or New Balance but the extra mile they go make it worth it. Also it seems like every employee is an avid runner.

WishIwasThere

Just checked the store locator, there are Fleet Feet stores in North Wales and Pittsburgh, PA...Not sure where in PA you are located. I drive a little over a 1/2 hour to my Fleet Feet, but its totally worth it.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Sorry I beat ya to it! I had a pair of A4 that I wanted to do half marathons in...but I could hardly get through a 5k with them. They were super light and fast, but seeing how injury prone my feet are, they KILLED.

To lukacseven: Also, check out Mizuno. I think they just came out with a very minimal shoe.
I wear Mizunos and love them. They have a minimal shoe now as you stated.

I had a pair of the Wave Rider 13's. They were semi minimal. Might want to try those on if you are looking for something that is half way between a cushion and a flat.

Phonedave

:lookaroun

I cant imagine how ergonomically bad these are for you.

I had to go look at the website, because I just could not imagine them.

They don't make running shoes

They make a 'sneaker' - along the same lines that a Chuck Taylor is a sneaker

They make 'recovery shoes' that are supposed to ease your feet and cushion you after a workout (and also are impregnated with silver to reduce bacteria) - I am not sold on that whole idea either

They do make a 'work shoe' - I would not go so far as to call it a dress shoe.

I wouldn't try to run in any of them.

-dave

joel_maxwell

They make 'recovery shoes' that are supposed to ease your feet and cushion you after a workout (and also are impregnated with silver to reduce bacteria) - I am not sold on that whole idea either

-dave
I am a proud member of the FB site (paraphrased off the top of my head), "I dont care how comfortable they are, you look like an idiot in those Crocs."

:lol: All in good humor and fun.

I worn my dads for about 3 hours at the beach one time and I could never wear any again.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

-dave

I second Dave.

lukacseven

Original Poster
Just checked the store locator, there are Fleet Feet stores in North Wales and Pittsburgh, PA...Not sure where in PA you are located. I drive a little over a 1/2 hour to my Fleet Feet, but its totally worth it.

I've been to the North Wales store, but they have a very limited selection. It seems most running stores cater to heel strikers who need stability shoes.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
No way. I have a few pair of the different casual shoes Crocs make, but I don't think they will ever put out a feasible competitive running shoe. They are comfortable and flat - great for work the day after a race.

I suppose I am being biased and passing negative judgment on a product's "pop-culture" status. But, somehow I equate it to UGGS coming out with a running shoe...and let's hope that never sees the light of day.

lukacseven

Original Poster
I suppose I am being biased and passing negative judgment on a product's "pop-culture" status. But, somehow I equate it to UGGS coming out with a running shoe...and let's hope that never sees the light of day.

Agreed. I still don't acknowledge Under Armour running shoes as being a legit running shoe. I will say, although crocs aren't the most attractive shoes, they are good for walking around Epcot the Monday after doing the Goofy Challenge.

joel_maxwell

Agreed. I still don't acknowledge Under Armour running shoes as being a legit running shoe. I will say, although crocs aren't the most attractive shoes, they are good for walking around Epcot the Monday after doing the Goofy Challenge.
:lol:

Same boat here. Regardless of the "technology" they put in their product, I just dont think they have the years behind them as a company to make a good product yet (running shoe). Does that make sense?

lukacseven

Original Poster
:lol:

Same boat here. Regardless of the "technology" they put in their product, I just dont think they have the years behind them as a company to make a good product yet (running shoe). Does that make sense?

What doesn't make sense is it seems the less technology and cushioning in a running shoe, the more expensive it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom