Shipping packages tax free?

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
Hi - just wondering if anyone has heard of this.

A good friend of mine that travels to Disney from PA several times a year and spends a small fortune on souvenoirs said she always ships her packages directly to her home and doesn't have to pay tax on them. Depending on what she spends, the shipping can even be less then the tax, not to mention the convenience of not having to get it on the plane and the surprise package when you are home and missing the mouse!

I've been thinking about it - any Merchandise CMs care to comment?

phlydude

Absolutely true. Tax is 6.5% in all places except some of the All-Stars (7% - Osceola Cnty). Figure out $6.50 tax on each $100 and determine whether or not it's worth it to ship. I live in DE and we don't have sales tax anyway (which makes it hard to figure when at the register you ask yourself why is it $4.26 when it was listed as $4.00? SALES TAX!, DUH!) and was told by the CM at World of Disney that there is no sales tax on items shipped from WDW.

That used to be the scam when I lived in Philly. We would go to the appliance stores in NJ and have them deliver the appliance to PA. Since you normally paid the delivery charge anyway, it was no big deal. But the kicker was that NJ stores were not required to collect sales tax on items purchased in the state that we to be shipped out of state. On a $1000 refrigerator, you saved yourself $70 in sales tax and only paid $29 for delivery!

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
TAC said:
In the great state of NJ, our wonderful, honest, and trustworthy governor, Jimmy "Thief" McGreedy actually wants us to report purchases made in other states so that we can be taxed on them. :fork:

Yea, sure! :lookaroun

O, that's a good one - was he drunk when he made the request?

phlydude

My brother-in-law accountant fears buying things in other states for fear of losing his CPA license. He won't come to DE and buy furniture and appliances but would rather pay the 6% upcharge for tax!

Gail Hayden

TAC said:
In the great state of NJ, our wonderful, honest, and trustworthy governor, Jimmy "Thief" McGreedy actually wants us to report purchases made in other states so that we can be taxed on them. :fork:

that is the same in CT. I truly wonder if anyone reports this.

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
TAC said:
Not sure, but it could have been when he was meeting with certain members of organized crime. :lookaroun

O my - sounds like a movie of the week in the making!

Who would it get reported to? It must be alright to do if the stores offer to do it. Do they expect you to report your purchases in Florida when you get home so we can give New York state even more tax? We're already at 8.25% and they are reporting it may go up another percent. :brick:

We've done this as well. There's alot of paperwork involved so we don't have many things shipped but if it's a larger or more expensive item then it's worth the trouble. Well, not much trouble for me really. My wife is a CM at the Disney Store so she has to make the purchase and fill out all the paperwork but it can be tiring waiting for her to hurry up lol ;)

jeffs854

TAC said:

Here in Ohio, we have a section on our state income tax where you are supposed to report any Internet or out of state purchases that you did not pay tax on so you can pay Ohio sales tax on it.

phlydude

Bought and shipped again this last trip. Picked up some prints and frames in MGM and didn't have room to put them in our suitcases so we shipped them home. It was $1 more than the sales tax cost on $235 worth of stuff.

phlydude

Not true. I paid $22 to the UPS store on 535 to ship home 2 boxes of Tony Roma's BBQ sauces via UPS ground. This included packing, the box, bubble wrap and insurance with the shipping. Disney charges a flat $13.99 I believe.

disneymoc

MsSnuzi said:
O my - sounds like a movie of the week in the making!

Who would it get reported to? It must be alright to do if the stores offer to do it. Do they expect you to report your purchases in Florida when you get home so we can give New York state even more tax? We're already at 8.25% and they are reporting it may go up another percent. :brick:
We're at 9.25 now. Tennessee is a wonderful state to live in.

disneymoc

phlydude said:
Not true. I paid $22 to the UPS store on 535 to ship home 2 boxes of Tony Roma's BBQ sauces via UPS ground. This included packing, the box, bubble wrap and insurance with the shipping. Disney charges a flat $13.99 I believe.
Or you can find those special items that are out of stock. Disney will ship them to you for free once they have them again. Ahhh--- no taxes --- no shipping

Gail Hayden

TAC said:
That's because you are paying for the "Disney convenience." If you took them to a Mailboxes Inc or other UPS shipping store, I'm sure the shipping cost would be cheaper, even with full replacement insurance. Of course, if you don't have a car to get there, it wouldn't be worth the aggraviation to find one.

:wave:
And, you would have to pay the sales tax on the purchase. That would not be cost effective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom