Shipping home from Disney....

Todd L

Has anyone had any experience shipping things from wdw? Can you ship from your hotel? We are planning on doing some xmas shopping and thought it might be easier to ship everything how instead of taking it on the plane. thanks

TheDisneyMagic

I have actually had the Art of Disney over at the Market Place ship a number of posters for me both to destinations within the United States and Internationally, all the got me to do was fill in a little slip with the shipping details, and that was it. Never got charged for this service either.

Upvote 0

Mystic

World of Disney at DTD may be an exception.

We had to ship something home on our last trip and we actually shipped it via FedEx from the front desk at the Wilderness Lodge. It was ten times cheaper to ship it from the front desk than it was from the Mercantile. If we had shipped it from the Mercantile, they were going to charge us $50 to ship it because that was the cost of the purchase. The stores tend to ship based on cost, not weight, whereas the hotel front desks ship via weight. So the lighter the object, the less the cost of shipping, unlike the stores where the lower the cost of the item means lower shipping costs.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
I have actually had the Art of Disney over at the Market Place ship a number of posters for me both to destinations within the United States and Internationally, all the got me to do was fill in a little slip with the shipping details, and that was it. Never got charged for this service either.
Great. Thank you. Dw wants to buy some Xmas ornaments for gifts this year and im sure ill break them all before we get home.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

We had several ornaments personalized at Disney's Days of Christmas, Downtown Disney and them shipped home. Arrived in about two weeks and intact!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I have not shipped anything recently but I never had an issue. It was always home within 2 weeks and in perfect condition, so i would use it again.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

World of Disney at DTD may be an exception.

We had to ship something home on our last trip and we actually shipped it via FedEx from the front desk at the Wilderness Lodge. It was ten times cheaper to ship it from the front desk than it was from the Mercantile. If we had shipped it from the Mercantile, they were going to charge us $50 to ship it because that was the cost of the purchase. The stores tend to ship based on cost, not weight, whereas the hotel front desks ship via weight. So the lighter the object, the less the cost of shipping, unlike the stores where the lower the cost of the item means lower shipping costs.

Mystic (or anyone),

So, say we purchase clothes or plush and want to ship it all home, where do you get the box(es)?

Thanks in advance. I'd hate to tell our boys we can't buy something because of space issues.

Jennifer

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Original Poster
We had several ornaments personalized at Disney's Days of Christmas, Downtown Disney and them shipped home. Arrived in about two weeks and intact!

Thats sound exactly right. we are having dinner at Capt jacks sunday night so I think we will walk over and get that done. thank you.

Upvote 0

michelemily

when we were there in june, we purchased the big cinderella toy castle in our hotel store, and had it shipped home...it arrived within 4 days of us getting home and we purchased it on our last day there...

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

I shipped a lot of things from DD and the parks last year and the cost was minimal. Everything arrived a couple of days after I arrived back at home. It takes about 2 weeks for delivery but well worth it!!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Another alternative, if you know generally about what you're going to buy and what size box it will fit in, would be to get a couple Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes from the US Post Office. You can pre-pay the postage and leave the boxes folded flat in your suitcase. When you're ready, just pop them together, pack them full and then drop them off at the Front Desk asn ask them to put it in with their outgoing mail.

The boxes are available in 2 or 3 sizes, and are free when you get them from your local Post Office, and postage is $9.80 regardless of weight.

-Rob

Upvote 0

marcriss

We've shipped a lot home. Ornaments we always ship from the store because we've gotten several broken ones in the past. If they break in transit disney replaces them. If you pack and ship yourself, I don't believe that's covered. That said, we've found shipping to NY can be rather pricey. And shipping at xmas time is unpredictable. We're going the 6th -16th and we're going to try to do our ornaments on the 6th, and hope we can get them in time for xmas. We've found in December, personalization can take several days and that can really delay things.

We generally do UPS ground because it's less expensive, sometimes it gets there before xmas and sometimes it doesn't. If the CM tells you it probably won't, they're probably right.

But it is the best way to get things home. Particularly if it's breakable. They also have signs on the shelves reminding you that snowglobes can't be put in carry-on bags, no matter what size.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

It's a toss up to me

Disney Shipping - super easy, and insured

UPS / FedEx at the desk - a lot cheaper.

There were some very good suggestions about how to ship from resort front desk. If you want to use Disney shipping, as was said they charge based on cost of product, not weight. I shipped a bigfig home from Art of Disney in Epcot once. It was not cheap to ship, but I didn't want to take it back to the resort in its gigantic box either.

-dave

Upvote 0

WDW 3

When we were there at the end of October, personalization was taking about 5 days. We placed our order on the 21st (posted completion date was the 27th) and got them at home on November 10th.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Mystic (or anyone),

So, say we purchase clothes or plush and want to ship it all home, where do you get the box(es)?

Thanks in advance. I'd hate to tell our boys we can't buy something because of space issues.

Jennifer

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Just take it down to the front desk and they'll have FedEx boxes available. We were shipping a poster and they had a FedEx Tube available for us.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Another alternative, if you know generally about what you're going to buy and what size box it will fit in, would be to get a couple Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes from the US Post Office. You can pre-pay the postage and leave the boxes folded flat in your suitcase. When you're ready, just pop them together, pack them full and then drop them off at the Front Desk asn ask them to put it in with their outgoing mail.

The boxes are available in 2 or 3 sizes, and are free when you get them from your local Post Office, and postage is $9.80 regardless of weight.

-Rob

Just take it down to the front desk and they'll have FedEx boxes available. We were shipping a poster and they had a FedEx Tube available for us.

Thanks a lot. I guess I've got to "explain" to the hubby we can shop and not have to worry about how it'll all get home.

Upvote 0

TinkRBell427

It's a toss up to me

Disney Shipping - super easy, and insured

UPS / FedEx at the desk - a lot cheaper.

There were some very good suggestions about how to ship from resort front desk. If you want to use Disney shipping, as was said they charge based on cost of product, not weight. I shipped a bigfig home from Art of Disney in Epcot once. It was not cheap to ship, but I didn't want to take it back to the resort in its gigantic box either.

-dave

Hey, when was that? I may have been the castmember to ship it, haha. I was FT for 2007. I'm seasonal now and will be back to hopefully work in AOD during Christmas.

Anyway, since I have a lot of experience in shipping items from the parks. We have you fill out a shipping form and yes the price of shipping is determined by the price of the merchandise. But one good thing is, is that if you ship out of Florida, the sales tax is removed! So if an item is marked $200, you pay $200 and the shipping cost. FL residents still pay the tax. As for boxes, the castmembers in the shop wrap the item as best as they can, (I'm a good wrapper come see me!) and then (in AOD in Epcot at least) we put them on a pallet and they go to shipping. From there, the castmembers in the store have heard, they put them in a another box for shipping to your homes!
This information though is from Feb. 2008, it is possible something has changed. I will find out next month. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

TinkRBell427

Also, on the shipping forms there is a # to call mail order if there are any problems or damages:animwink:. The castmember should point that out when they hand you your copy of the shipping form.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

We always ship home, get a box from the merch shop at the resort, they will find one in the back room, put your stuff in, pack it yourself with newspapers, etc., and bring it to the front desk, and they will tape it up for you and they have the capability to send it UPS. Magic!

Upvote 0

TinkRBell427

I found the shipping rates at wdw for domestic shipping, international is a bit more.
Domestic Shipping Rates:
Retail
Shipping Cost

Up to $50.00 - price of item
$9.95 - shipping price

$50.01 - $75.00
$14.95

$75.01 - 100.00
$19.95

$100.01 - $150.00
$24.95

$150.01 - $250.00
$29.95

$250.01 - $500.00
$34.95

$500.01 - $1000.00
$39.95

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom