Sharing a meal @Table Serving Restaurants w/ Dining Plan

FrecklesFreeze

Original Poster
Hi all!
I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up already...

My husband and I got free dining plan for our trip in December.
I was wondering if it is possible to share a meal at table serving restaurant. If yes, how much the meal plan cost in this case? Is it still going to be 1 table serving per guest, or can we just pay 1 table serving for two of us?
Whenever we eat out my husband and I usually buy a meal and share, so we don't have much leftover and pay less than buying two meals.

If it would be possible for us to share dishes and pay for one table serving, that would help us a lot and maybe we can even try 2 table serving restaurants a day...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
No I dont believe you can do that on the Dining Plan at a table service location. If two of you eat there, its going to cost you two credits.

RiversideBunny

You use one credit when you order one meal.
Think in terms of using up your credits.

They really don't care who's eating it.

The base question, I think, is if they will let you take up 2 seats with only one person ordering.
Or it's a question similar to when there are 2 people at the table and one is using the dining plan and the other is paying cash.

Tks.
:)

Lucky

You can't share with someone who's not on the DDP. That's pretty clear. Also you obviously can't share one buffet or other all-you-can-eat meal and be charged only one TS credit (unless you're sharing with a child under 3).

Otherwise it's up to the restaurants and the servers. We've split meals at quite a few places, using 2 TS credits for the 4 of us. Sometimes we order extra items we pay for separately.

We've never been told we can't split a meal on the DDP. I've heard from some people that Beaches and Cream doesn't allow it. But we've done it at Coral Reef, San Angel, Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Marrakesh, Rose & Crown, and Tony's.

FrecklesFreeze

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input!

I understand that there's no sharing at buffet style restaurants, just like other buffet restaurants outside WDW parks & resorts. I was just wondering if we can do it in normal table sitting restaurants like California Grill, Chef de France, Mama Melrose, Tokyo Dining, etc etc...
Anyway, I think we will ask the server whether we could share a meal and pay 1 Table Service meal at each restaurant we eat :)

Thanks again for your help!

Rob562

You'll obviously have to pay for an additional beverage for the second guest. I'm sure they would really frown on one cup with two straws at the table... :lookaroun

Also as a courtesy to the server, throw in a couple extra dollars on the tip, especially if they go the extra mile and split the meal onto two plates before they serve it to you. (Sometimes they'll do that, sometimes they'll bring an extra empty plate and let you split it up yourself)
You may only be "paying" for one meal, but the server is doing the work of waiting on two people.

-Rob
(who is hoping this doesn't devolve into a "how much do I tip" debate...)

Tiggerfanatic

DD and I did this 3 years ago at the Rose & Crown. It was like in the middle of the week, and back when the dessert & appetizer were included, and there was just so much food!! We asked our server about splitting one entree, and she said it was no problem, people did it all the time. We got the steak & fish dinner, split an appetizer, then ordered an extra dessert - I just had to pay for the 2nd dessert and my beer. Tips were also included in the plan, then, too, but I left an extra $10.00 because there were 2 of us eating, and our server was so nice.

LarryStoken

Hi all!
I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up already...

My husband and I got free dining plan for our trip in December.
I was wondering if it is possible to share a meal at table serving restaurant. If yes, how much the meal plan cost in this case? Is it still going to be 1 table serving per guest, or can we just pay 1 table serving for two of us?
Whenever we eat out my husband and I usually buy a meal and share, so we don't have much leftover and pay less than buying two meals.

If it would be possible for us to share dishes and pay for one table serving, that would help us a lot and maybe we can even try 2 table serving restaurants a day...
That is fine but just make sure you base your tip on what the tab would be if both of you got meals. After all the waiter is still taking care of two people and shouldn't be tipped as if they were just serving one.

kungfoosally

yep you can do this. obviously not with buffets or something like the hoop dee doo, but if you go to a sit-down place and order one meal to share, they will bring you one plate of food and charge you one credit (as long as it's a 1 credit place you are at). and as everyone else has said, tip as if you ordered 2 meals though. We have done this in the past and got to try sooo many different restaurants.. and we were not STUFFED all day feeling like crap.

Phonedave

Think of it this way

What if you had your own room and had the DDP

Your friend had their own room and opted not to get it.

You meet up and decide to eat together.

They would let you use your DDP and your friend pay out of pocket. Well what if your friend only wants to get a drink, and is there just for company. Unless the restaruant specificaly has a no-sharing policy, or an extra plate charge (some do) it is the exact same scenario.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom