Shanghai Tomorrowland

odmichael

http://www./2015/07/shanghai-disney...er-the-horizon-all-new-lands-and-attractions/

Already looks like one of, if not the coolest and most ambitious theme park in the world.

kap91

Not liking the exposed track portion of tron and the lack of smaller less e ticket attractions. Seems like more of a universal strategy. But everything else looks bloody amazing.

prberk

Makes you wonder why they canceled the next Tron movie; and why they haven't gone full-steam-ahead with the Tomorrowland movie promos (which, I think, were lacking) and park upgrades. (Yes, I know the movie underperformed, but was still somewhat popular despite their lack of serious promotion; and would obviously fit in with worldwide park promotion and "have legs" -- long shelf-life).

Although I do see very clearly Mr. Iger's well-known insistence that everything be related to a "franchise" or "brand." They have some innovation here, but still seem to insist that everything be related to an existing movie "franchise," rather than anything truly new. (Remember, most of the iconic attractions in original parks were not from movies, even though movies might have been made from them in later years.)

But it does look like they allowed themselves to take Tomorrowland architecture to a new level. Only thing missing is a monorail or PeopleMover of some sort. Would be nice to see what "the next generation" of monorail might look like. (Yes, I know, "expense" -- but hey, they seemed to have a good budget here.)

Robbiemoo

I'm in two minds about this ride. The loading and indoor ride look great but the section outdoors looks like it spoils it a bit.

I'm also not sure how comfortable the ride would be, but that could be a sign I'm getting old.

Won't be able to say for sure until I ride it of course so I'd better start saving now

kap91

Yeah I'm not sure what they were thinking with the outdoor section either - must have been the same people behind the test track redo lol. Outside of being a tad short it looks great though!

dweezil78

Not sure why people seem to be turned off by the outdoor section. IMO it serves two purposes 1) It's primarily weenie technique, meant to draw in guests (it's going to look especially sick at night!!!) and 2) It's meant to disorient riders as they go from outdoors and then plunge back into darkness/fancy Tron lighting.

It does what it's supposed to and seems to do it well.

Rich T

Not sure why people seem to be turned off by the outdoor section. IMO it serves two purposes 1) It's primarily weenie technique, meant to draw in guests (it's going to look especially sick at night!!!) and 2) It's meant to disorient riders as they go from outdoors and then plunge back into darkness/fancy Tron lighting.

It does what it's supposed to and seems to do it well.
Mixed emotions. I agree with what you said about its purpose, but (just reacting to the video), for me it went from "I'm in Tron's World" to "I'm at Six Flags" to "I'm back in Tron's world...and this looks AWESOME!" Totally agree it's probably amazing after dark; looking forward to a POV video of that.

begood524

IMO the outdoor part looks absolutely great, and does more good than harm; it potentially attracts people to the attraction, allows for a high-up outdoor thrill section for people on the ride, it's just plain awesome to watch the Lightcycles go by, and it necessitates the beautiful canopy structure that acts as Tomorrowland's backdrop.

dweezil78

Mixed emotions. I agree with what you said about its purpose, but (just reacting to the video), for me it went from "I'm in Tron's World" to "I'm at Six Flags" to "I'm back in Tron's world...and this looks AWESOME!" Totally agree it's probably amazing after dark; looking forward to a POV video of that.

Lol, c'mon... people throw around the 'looks like Six Flags' comparison line way too freely around these parts! Nothing at Six Flags looks even remotely as slick as that 10 second long outdoor section. It provides kinetic energy to the area which has always been a key component of Tomorrowland.

Robbiemoo

That's what I don't get. I could undestand if you started in the 'real world' then entered the grid but not the flip from one to the other and back. Does anyone know how the rides story covers this?

begood524

I'm in two minds about this ride. The loading and indoor ride look great but the section outdoors looks like it spoils it a bit.

I'm also not sure how comfortable the ride would be, but that could be a sign I'm getting old.

Won't be able to say for sure until I ride it of course so I'd better start saving now
Apparently there is a special vehicle on one of the trains that seats like a traditional roller coaster car

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom