Shanghai Park gets serious!

WeLComeHomE OKW

Original Poster
Shanghai ready to build US$3.75b Disney theme park

SHANGHAI : Shanghai has begun to prepare for a US$3.75 billion Disney theme park, an official said, signalling the city is confident it can win the central government's approval for the complex.

"Everything is in the stages of early preparation," said an official with the city's planning and construction department surnamed Tang.

"We are awaiting for the approval from the State Council (cabinet)."

Asked to confirm media reports that the project was expected to cost 30 billion yuan (US$3.75 billion), Tang replied: "Yes."

Tang refused to provided more details but media reports have said authorities had identified a 14.25-square-kilometre site that was four times the size of the Disneyland opened last year in Hong Kong.

Officials have a detailed plan that includes the construction of a subway line, expressways and a link to Pudong international airport, the China Daily said.

It also said that the government had begun relocating residents in the area, a claim which city officials vigorously denied.

"The relocation report is nonsense," said Ma Xuejie, vice director of the press office with the Pudong government.

In March, the mayor of the city of 17 million people acknowledged for the first time it was seeking to build a Disney park.

Hong Kong and mainland media have repeatedly reported that Shanghai hoped to start construction of the theme park in 2008 but Disney has insisted that any potential deal would not come before 2010.

This was just in the news yesterday! Interesting, very interesting. I knew Shanghai was rumored, and at times almost guarenteed. But this is starting to sound like official business. Your thoughts?

SirNim

I hate to see the Disney Parks® brand diluted with the creation of entire new resorts.

I know, I know, it's China (developing economy) and that's good for the bottom line, good for the shareholders (like myself)... but still, building all these new resorts sort of conveys an impression that a Disney park is not an art but a science, built simply to maximize company profit. Not built for any grandiose purpose...simply built to take advantage of billions of people with expanding wallets in a burgeoning nation.

I dunno, I'd just personally hate to see the day when the Chinese mainland has more Disney resorts than the United States. They already have Hong Kong (SAR)...

DisneyRoxMySox

Bob Iger said they were no closer to buildinga resort in Shangai as they were 3 yers ago. China is jsut getting really exicted. :D

Persoanlly, I think it's a mistake, they should really let HKDL develop first. DL was in business for about 12 years until ground broke for WDW.

LilRoo714

Bob Iger said they were no closer to buildinga resort in Shangai as they were 3 yers ago. China is jsut getting really exicted. :D

Persoanlly, I think it's a mistake, they should really let HKDL develop first. DL was in business for about 12 years until ground broke for WDW.

I agree. I also believe that although it's selfish I don't want there to be more parks around the world until the ones we've already got see a little attention and improvement! :veryconfu

Epcot82Guy

I normally fully agree with the dilution factor. However, having spoken with some people that live in China, I think our perspective is a bit different. Over there, many people are aware of Disney World, but would never go. THerefore, the population is not necessarily crossing over. Same here, the majority of people do not know there are as many resorts as there are with the exception of "Euro-Disney" and that is merely because of the failures there early on.

What I do think is a problem is the national branding going on. If they are going to open these resorts, I really think they need to promote the individuality of each of them. Six Flags ran into huge problems because of the "assumption of the same." I think it is a big mistake to market all the parks as "Disney Parks." That's great for an internal division, not for an external advertising scheme, IMHO.

Scar Junior

I'm torn on this.

I think it's a potentially good way for the company to increase their revenue. Money and ideas that could help other worldwide parks. The country has a billion people... it should have two parks. The distance of the cities is big enough to support this as well. The attractions that go into these parks may serve as testing grounds for potential WDW and DL parks. Chances are very good that I'll never be able to experience these theme parks, so I don't fear similar/carbon copied attractions.

Part of me feels that this is the company shunning us, the domestic traveler. Is there any info that suggests these billions of dollars would be used to improve current parks across the world? If so, then the greedy American in me would be more for improvements to their current properties than new ventures.

ctwhalerman

China, with it's huge population and increasing economic clout, is fully deserving of more than one Disney park. Both Hong Kong and Shanghai have populations that rival that of the Chicago metro area (about 10 million people), and thus Disney is simply tapping into a virgin market. If 6 Disney parks can survive on 330 million Americans and Canadians, 1.3 billion Chinese, of whom probably 300 million are middle or upper class, can easily support two parks. I just hope Disney doesn't underbuild or build crappy clones all over, and allows each park to be unique in its own right.

ctwhalerman

I wouldn't go that far. True, China is the up and coming superpower, but the average per capita income is still only the equivalent of U.S. $2,000.

I think I was stretching it farther. Last I read the per capita income in China was a measly $500, but I just guessed that if 20% of the Chinese population was middle- or upper-class, compared to 90% of the U.S. population thats middle- of upper-class, then its about 300 million, or if I was able to do math, 260 million.

Interruption?

I think I was stretching it farther. Last I read the per capita income in China was a measly $500, but I just guessed that if 20% of the Chinese population was middle- or upper-class, compared to 90% of the U.S. population thats middle- of upper-class, then its about 300 million, or if I was able to do math, 260 million.

Ohh, okay. Well, all i know is, US middle class is first class in China. I remember reading an article entitled "India Inc." in Time Magazine a couple months ago, and it compared the growth of China and India, the world's two up and coming economic and military superpowers by comparing the GDP per capita of India (roughly $1000) to China (roughly $2000)

DisneyRoxMySox

Nope... just build there... something... anything... before somebody else does...

Are you insinutaing that other companies are looking to build in Shanghi? I know that MGM would like to build a park in South Korea.

I am sure you know a little bit more than me on this subject with some research on the region. :eek: I am just worried that the markets will interfere with each other, but I keep hearing that it will not.

Legacy

Are you insinutaing that other companies are looking to build in Shanghi? I know that MGM would like to build a park in South Korea.

I am sure you know a little bit more than me on this subject with some research on the region. :eek: I am just worried that the markets will interfere with each other, but I keep hearing that it will not.

MGM IS building in South Korea... Pusan to be exact. Ground has already been broken on the complex and it is expected to open in 2009.

Rumors have been circulating for years of Universal and Six Flags looking to build in China, specifically the Hong Kong and Shangai regions. It's not financially possible for either company right now... but that doesn't mean everybody can't.

Tim G

MGM IS building in South Korea... Pusan to be exact. Ground has already been broken on the complex and it is expected to open in 2009.

Rumors have been circulating for years of Universal and Six Flags looking to build in China, specifically the Hong Kong and Shangai regions. It's not financially possible for either company right now... but that doesn't mean everybody can't.
There you go...

DisneyRoxMySox

Hmm....I still really don't like the idea. But if it returns lots of money to investors and if it doesn't go almost bankrupt, such as Disneyland Paris. I'm game. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom