Trip Report Shanghai (K)nights (and days) - A Max Trip Report - COMPLETE

Hello to All
Welcome to my Trip Report to Japan and China!!
06496314-22C7-45A5-9126-A94BE927D5DB.jpeg

As per previous trips to the Orient this is a business trip with a few leisure detours along the way

The trip was from Nov 16 - Dec 9

It will include a visit of Shanghai Disneyland, and two weekend adventures to Hiroshima and Osaka.

I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did.

Max

PS
I am really struggling with my pictures for this TR. (this is one of many reasons why it has taken my so long to start it)
All pictures are from my iPhone 7 and my work phone (also a 7)
Every since I updated my iOS I cannot extract pictures from it.
I am trying to email them to myself and they are too big to download.
If anyone has advice please send it.
AE129E32-A955-429C-99E8-77B7AE259B30.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you click the Attach Files box, you should get a “Photo Library” option. Click on it and it will bring up your photos. Then click the photos you want to add to your post (each post can have a maximum of 10 photos) and click “Done.” The photos will download to the bottom of the text box.

You can use the Airdrop feature on your phones to transfer pictures from one device to the other.

However this means you must use the phone (or an iPad) to do your trip reporting.

Hope this helps.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you click the Attach Files box, you should get a “Photo Library” option. Click on it and it will bring up your photos. Then click the photos you want to add to your post (each post can have a maximum of 10 photos) and click “Done.” The photos will download to the bottom of the text box.

You can use the Airdrop feature on your phones to transfer pictures from one device to the other.

However this means you must use the phone (or an iPad) to do your trip reporting.

Hope this helps.
Thanks @Tuvalu
I will have to go direct from phone to this report
When I try to get my phone pics to my laptop it only “sees”about 2% of them
I prefer to type on my laptop so I will probably type up a post and then add the pics afterfrom the phone
Twice as much work

If you think I have spelling and grammar errors now you do not want me to use my phone only!!

Max

Kiwiduck

Thanks @Tuvalu
I will have to go direct from phone to this report
When I try to get my phone pics to my laptop it only “sees”about 2% of them
I prefer to type on my laptop so I will probably type up a post and then add the pics afterfrom the phone
Twice as much work

If you think I have spelling and grammar errors now you do not want me to use my phone only!!

Max
Do you have a macbook? I have only recently discovered that you can airdrop to a mac as well after it took almost two weeks for my photos to get from my iPad to my computer through the cloud. I hate doing trip reports on my iDevices.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am so happy you started this trip report!:) I can't wait to read about your adventures.
I'm sorry but I know nothing about IPhones so can't help.
Adventure details to follow (at a slower than usual pace)
I’m in for this trip!
Looking forward to reading your report.
Yay! Can't wait to hear about your trip!!
Thank you to all of you for joining in!
Hope you get the picture issue sorted - I am no good with technology!!

But I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip! :joyfull:
I am usually okay with tech but this one has me stumped how I can see all the pics on the phone but the transfer to the laptop cuts out almost all of them.
Thank you for following
With this new format, it takes me twice as long to compose a post on my iPad. I totally get your frustration.
I am not digging this new format
I tried to copy my Tag All post from my other report and the formatting went haywire.
Not cool

I'm looking forward to this!
I figured you would want to follow along!
Do you have a macbook? I have only recently discovered that you can airdrop to a mac as well after it took almost two weeks for my photos to get from my iPad to my computer through the cloud. I hate doing trip reports on my iDevices.
I do not have a MacBook or ipad so I am struggling

So if you see a post with just text just give it a few minutes
I will edit it on my phone and attach the pictures.

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 - Thursday Nov 16
So for those that do not know me I am a resident of Waterloo, Ontario Canada.
A 3 hour drive to Detroit, 2 hours to Buffalo and 1.5 hours to downtown Toronto.

My flight left just after noon so my pickup was around 9am (1 hour drive to Toronto Pearson Airport)
Good news was a direct flight to Shanghai on Air Canada
(and better news was Business Class the whole way - thank you Toyota!!)
1515943698682.png

After a few movies and attempt at sleep I woke up to see the mountains over Russia.
8AC06602-3D7F-4490-B52D-F0C338656894.jpeg

Flight path was almost over the top of the world.
9B1BC0F6-458E-4AF7-A47E-5BAB2F12F293.jpeg

Landed around 4:30pm local time (13 hour time difference) so the flight worked out to approx. 14 hours.

Immigration at Shanghai was as to be expected (slow)

Travelling to Shanghai can be done without a Travel Visa if you stay in the city for less than 6 days and that you have a connecting flight to a foreign country after staying.
So for me I stayed for about 46 hours and flew to Japan so it worked.
You cannot fly from Canada, stay for 6 days and fly back to Canada.
It works for US, British and quite a few other countries in the world.

So I got in the wrong line, then waited for almost an hour to talk to the person at the window, then they had to check all flight info.
Total time was about 75 min.
In the big picture it was better than spending around 160 Cdn for a visa

Next step : Find a cab to SDL!!

Attachments

• 54A99C55-32D1-4114-93D5-8C1833BF25B4.jpeg
    54A99C55-32D1-4114-93D5-8C1833BF25B4.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was wondering if you got a visa, thanks for explaining it.

This is the information I used to confirm my ability to travel without a visa
It states 72 hours which is the rule for Beijing but Shanghai has opened it up to 144 hours.

Near the bottom it states which countries are able to use this exemption program

1) You must be a Citizens from one of the 45 countries (including Canada) in the 72-hour Transit Visa Exemption Program;
2) You must be a Canadian national / foreign national with a valid Canadian passport / international traveling document, and air ticket for a connecting flight with confirmed date of flight and seat for a third country or region traveling within 72 hours; and
3) You must be flying into and out of the Capital Airport of Beijing, or Pudong or Hongqiao Airports of Shanghai, or others, (see complete list above) to a third country.
This applies to Canadians and the following nationalities: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland; Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine; United States, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile; Australia, and New Zealand; Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Hope this helps anyone out there considering a short trip to the main cities in China.

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 1 cont'd
So after getting through customs and baggage I found myself a taxi service to get to the hotel
I realized later in the weekend that I overpaid for what I got.
Arrival at my hotel was after dark so I took a view pictures checking into the Toy Story hotel
More pictures will follow as I go through the phone
Since the park only opened in July 2016 the hotel is new and in good shape.
Check in was easy and I headed up to my room.
The theming was great - I was in the Woody section (the other side was Buzz)
BA4C6673-42ED-47E9-8836-3DEFAF3BC5C0.jpeg
D9297F9B-EEBA-4FB6-BA48-6922FA5809CE.jpeg

Room was decent size for me on my own (I place this one in the Value category based on room and grounds/services)
D5040AE7-DD25-4199-B96D-F8E79F2FEFFF.jpeg
15D85AFD-0668-46BF-9B4E-EEAA85D7EA0E.jpeg
7D953FB0-D793-47C6-9FEC-6A53279D79CB.jpeg

Similar to HKDL they had a metal kit for toiletries (I got one for each day that I was there!)
17A47163-6371-43D1-BE43-F09B2260D2F5.jpeg
EE6B0051-6DA0-4E8C-A756-42A7C59B8BC1.jpeg

More shots of the room
370DAF47-2C24-4A4D-AFB8-01DE3550AFA8.jpeg
D5A3FAFA-9893-4027-96EA-0FC70957A818.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom