Shanghai is getting a new castle...why not give each resort it's own unique castle?

cheezbat

Original Poster
I was just thinking about this earlier today...Disneyland Paris has its own unique castle, Shanghai is getting a unique castle, how come Disneyland has to share it's Sleeping Beauty castle design with Hong Kong, and the Magic Kingdom has to share their Cinderella castle with Tokyo? I know it would be costly and highly unnecessary, but how cool would it be if in the coming years Hong Kong and Tokyo's castles got a new layover to differenciate them from the American resorts?

I know when I first saw photos of Tokyo Disneyland, it really confused me as a child, and when i saw the plans for Hong Kong, I was quite disappointed as well. I think it would be really cool to sort of allow each resort to stand out on their own with their own castle icons.

I know when i see pictures of Cinderella castle, I automatically think of Walt Disney World. Tokyo having the same icon just never sat well with me.

Mansion Butler

I definitely think Tokyo and Hong Kong should have gotten unique castles.

I even think they should have been different princesses. France's looks awesome, but it could have easily been Belle's.

Neverland

Well, Tokyo has got a copy of Orlando's castle because TDL is essentially a mashup of things picked and chosen from both DL and MK. They also have a clone of WDW's original SWSA, a very close copy of WDW's Haunted Mansion, a mirrored copy of WDW's Splash Mountain, a near mirror copy of WDW's Jungle Cruise, a Tomorrowland that looks like WDW's old version, etc. Quite a few things in TDL are not original. (DisneySea, whoo boy, that's a different story. ♥)

lazyboy97o

Well, Tokyo has got a copy of Orlando's castle because TDL is essentially a mashup of things picked and chosen from both DL and MK. They also have a clone of WDW's original SWSA, a very close copy of WDW's Haunted Mansion, a mirrored copy of WDW's Splash Mountain, a near mirror copy of WDW's Jungle Cruise, a Tomorrowland that looks like WDW's old version, etc. Quite a few things in TDL are not original.
All at the request of the Oriental Land Company, which wanted an authentic American experience and did not believe that could really be provided by being unique.

jumblue

Any word on who's castle is going into Shanghai?

I was watching Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland recently and the thought struck me that the Red Queen's castle in that would be AMAZING to see at the end of a Main Street...

zooey

Any word on who's castle is going into Shanghai?

I was watching Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland recently and the thought struck me that the Red Queen's castle in that would be AMAZING to see at the end of a Main Street...

Except that she's evil and that isn't very inviting.

Captain Neo

Paris has the same castle as Disneyland (the one from Sleeping Beauty) its just designed differently. Paris should have gotten the castle from Beauty & the Beast.

elisatonks

Disneyland Paris (DLP) would never had Belle's castle anyway, it was under construction well before beauty and the beast was released (DLP opened april 12th 1992, Beauty and the Beast was released in late 1991 in the US and after DLP opened in Europe.) Disney did not know at the time they were building the castle, how beauty and the beast was going to be recieved by the public, and it just doesn't not make sense to build a castle that could have potentially never been easily recognized or associated with the character belonged to. Back then they didn't realise how popular Belle was going to be.

Slowjack

Disneyland Paris (DLP) would never had Belle's castle anyway, it was under construction well before beauty and the beast was released (DLP opened april 12th 1992, Beauty and the Beast was released in late 1991 in the US and after DLP opened in Europe.) Disney did not know at the time they were building the castle, how beauty and the beast was going to be recieved by the public, and it just doesn't not make sense to build a castle that could have potentially never been easily recognized or associated with the character belonged to. Back then they didn't realise how popular Belle was going to be.
Ah, but the original Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland opened four years before the film of the same name...

WDW1974

Correct. OLC asked for a copy of Cindy's castle. So thats what they got.

Hmm ... actually, TDL's looks a whole lot better in person that MK's does these days. Maybe it's the trees and the larger Hub ... maybe it's the darker paint scheme ... or the fact it still has a nice themed shop inside and no Jon Benet Boutique instead. Or the fact you can walk through it most of the time unlike MK.

And it used to feature a unique attraction based on the Black Cauldron in the basement, and will soon feature a more typical Cinderella experience (like the one planned and pulled from WDW of late).

When I was a kid I actually thought that DLP's castle was Beauty and the Beast, did a whole project on Isle de France for my french class junior year, including a section about DLP and thought that "Château de Belle au bois dormant" meant "The Castle of Beauty and the Beast"......not a very good french class I guess cause my teacher didn't correct me lol

darthspielberg

Where is it being stated that Shanghai is getting it's own castle design? I am very interested to see this, as I think each park having it's own unique icon is a great idea.

Skipper Dan

I always thought that the castles where kind of dissjointed anyway. Some are Sleeping Beauty's, but look completely different, and the Cinderella's Castles, I know without a doubt in my mind where actually designed as a newer, and more accurate to the film, version of Sleeping Beauty's. Watch Sleeping Beauty. When the fairies fly out onto the balcony, of the tower that she's put to sleep in, before they put the kingdom to sleep, notice that... IT'S "CINDY'S," CASTLE'S TOWER! At the last minute, some Imagineer ahead of the Florida Project went, "Hey guys, we can't call this Sleepin' Beauty's castle, that's in Disneyland, let's just call this one Cinderellla's. Nobody will ever know." But the tower in the film gives it away. The castle in Walt Disney World, was originally intended to be Sleepy Gorgeous's.

cookiee_munster

i think what the imagineers should have done, a long long time ago was not actually give "the castle" a specific label to a certain character from one of their films...

i think it would have been better off if the castle was simply called "fantasyland castle" or "magic kingdom castle" etc

im not talking about one specific Disney castle here, but all the castles in general.

JustInTime

I always thought that the castles where kind of dissjointed anyway. Some are Sleeping Beauty's, but look completely different, and the Cinderella's Castles, I know without a doubt in my mind where actually designed as a newer, and more accurate to the film, version of Sleeping Beauty's. Watch Sleeping Beauty. When the fairies fly out onto the balcony, of the tower that she's put to sleep in, before they put the kingdom to sleep, notice that... IT'S "CINDY'S," CASTLE'S TOWER! At the last minute, some Imagineer ahead of the Florida Project went, "Hey guys, we can't call this Sleepin' Beauty's castle, that's in Disneyland, let's just call this one Cinderellla's. Nobody will ever know." But the tower in the film gives it away. The castle in Walt Disney World, was originally intended to be Sleepy Gorgeous's.

People say the same thing about DL's. Except for it begin Snow White's. But I don't buy your theory. lol

_Scar

What? No.

No castle is accurate to their animation. And Cinderella's was 100% meant to be Cinderella's. It's not like WDI had no idea Disneyland's castle was Aurora's and they were halfway done with Cinderella's when they realized they were for the same person. :ROFLOL:

And aren't we just assuming the new castle will be original since nothing is official?

Kamikaze

i think what the imagineers should have done, a long long time ago was not actually give "the castle" a specific label to a certain character from one of their films...

They gave the original castle an owner to tie it in with the soon to be released movie.

Yes, Walt did character tie ins. He originated them.

But don't let facts get in the way of the opinions around Disney fan sites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom