Shanghai Disneyland closes due to outbreak of a pneumonia-like illness in China

Robbiem

here’s the official announcement on the website - does anyone know if something like this has happened before I can only think of the parks closing from natural disasters

In response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety of our guests and Cast, Shanghai Disney Resort is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, Disneytown including Walt Disney Grand Theatre and Wishing Star Park, starting January 25, 2020. We will continue to carefully monitor the situation and be in close contact with the local government, and we will announce the reopening date upon confirmation.
Shanghai Disney Resort will assist in the refund for guests who have purchased tickets for admission to Shanghai Disneyland, have booked a resort hotel, or have booked tickets for Beauty and the Beast Mandarin Production through the original ticket purchase channel, and we will introduce the detailed procedure and guidelines via the resort’s official platforms as soon as possible.
We wish our guests a healthy and happy Spring Festival!

Shanghai Disney Resort
January 24, 2020

TP2000

here’s the official announcement on the website - does anyone know if something like this has happened before I can only think of the parks closing from natural disasters

No, nothing like this has ever happened before to a Disney theme park. (I can't think of anytime in the last 75 years any amusement park in America has closed due to a flu or virus like this, but I have no idea about Chinese history.)

Closing Shanghai Disneyland indefinitely during the massive New Year vacation period has got to hurt badly. On top of the near collapse in attendance and hotel occupancy at Hong Kong Disneyland over the government crackdown in Hong Kong. This is going to really impact Disney's bottom line very badly.

matt9112

No, nothing like this has ever happened before to a Disney theme park. (I can't think of anytime in the last 75 years any amusement park in America has closed due to a flu or virus like this, but I have no idea about Chinese history.)

Closing Shanghai Disneyland indefinitely during the massive New Year vacation period has got to hurt badly. On top of the near collapse in attendance and hotel occupancy at Hong Kong Disneyland over the government crackdown in Hong Kong. This is going to really impact Disney's bottom line very badly.

Risk vs reward. I dont think the asian parks were a good move. Your doing business in a place where the people in charge can tell you to do anything they want up to and including legitimately seizing everything you claim to own. It is a shame though. Hope
they find a vaccine soon.

Asa

Chimelong are also closing their parks in Guangzhou and Zhuhai as well. Interestingly Chimelong are allowing all park tickets and hotel bookings up to 15 Feb to be re-booked to another date all the way before 31 July.

BrianLo

Disney should have really expected 9/11 before doing business in the United States. /sarcarsm.

Closures are certainly not unprecedented. WDW engages in it all the time for Hurricanes, Tokyo certainly had its far share closure for a month in 2011.

Natural disasters, Terrorism, Disease outbreaks. All unfortunate, but they are all equally unpredictable and the correct measures were taken. Disney remains in constant fear of bad press and the closure extending far beyond a day... but affecting tourism for months - years as seen in the US.

SARs also plagued early HKDL, I'm sure they are reeling.

Last edited:

shernernum

Disney should have really expected 9/11 before doing business in the United States. /sarcarsm.

Closures are certainly not unprecedented. WDW engages in it all the time for Hurricanes, Tokyo certainly had its far share closure for a month in 2011.

Natural disasters, Terrorism, Disease outbreaks. All unfortunate, but they are all equally unpredictable and the correct measures were taken. Disney remains in constant fear of bad press and the closure extending far beyond a day... but affecting tourism for months - years as seen in the US.
I think your definition of all the time for WDW is a little hyperbolic...including 9/11 I think its been 8 times total since the parks opened nearly 50 years ago and at least two if not three of those were in the same year (2004)

BrianLo

I think your definition of all the time for WDW is a little hyperbolic...including 9/11 I think its been 8 times total since the parks opened nearly 50 years ago and at least two if not three of those were in the same year (2004)

Sorry, I know it has happened with a bit more frequency, but didn't have a count. The closures have really only been the last two decades apparently (all between 1999-2019)

Certainly not unprecedented, was more the point. Tokyo takes the record.

brb1006

Shanghai's statement

“In response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety of our guests and Cast, Shanghai Disney Resort is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, Disneytown including Walt Disney Grand Theatre and Wishing Star Park, starting January 25, 2020. We will continue to carefully monitor the situation and be in close contact with the local government, and we will announce the reopening date upon confirmation.

Shanghai Disney Resort will assist in the refund for guests who have purchased tickets for admission to Shanghai Disneyland, have booked a resort hotel, or have booked tickets for Beauty and the Beast Mandarin Production through the original ticket purchase channel, and we will introduce the detailed procedure and guidelines via the resort’s official platforms as soon as possible.

We wish our guests a healthy and happy Spring Festival!”

Last edited:

HKDLer

Hong Kong Disneyland closed starting from today, Jan 26.
4E8B119E-228F-49B2-8BE2-11C53F42A4E3.jpeg

Message to cast members:
As a precautionary measure in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, we are temporarily closing Hong Kong Disneyland Park starting from today (January 26) out of consideration for the health and safety of our Guests and Cast Members. The resort hotels and Inspiration Lake Recreation Centre will remain open. We are in close contact with health authorities and the government about the situation and will announce a reopening date once they determine it is advisable.

Please report duty per your original schedule and contact your leader if you have any questions.

pierrecanal75

I planned to go to shanghai Disney early march (just got the plane tickey for me and my GF as of todayà i don't know if it is still a good idea and if it will be even possible

Lilofan

I planned to go to shanghai Disney early march (just got the plane tickey for me and my GF as of todayà i don't know if it is still a good idea and if it will be even possible
Might want to consider getting a refund or explaining to airlines and they may make an exception and give you a refund or credit.

cheezbat

I feel your pain. My wife and I were planning our honeymoon in Hong Kong, Shanghai, then Tokyo...looks like plans are changing...

msboyd89

I feel your pain too, I currently have a trip planned to Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong in mid-April but it's starting to look like this may take at least a few months to be at a point where tourist attractions/internal travel are open properly. I think it's best to wait until mid-Feb onwards to start making decisions on whether to travel or not as it seems there's a shut down on a lot of businesses/schools etc until then so I think after then we'll know if they are going to phase down the closures or increase them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom