Shanghai Disneyland closes due to outbreak of a pneumonia-like illness in China

GimpYancIent

I don’t think Disney could do a lot to stop them operating it still with the Disney name and IPs etc
Within China, sure. Pirating I.P.'s from anyone that does business there is customary. Outside of the country Disney can disavow any connection to SD and make clear it is no longer a Disney Park, most importantly stop the flow of Disney money to the park. Of course, there will be legal documentation at nauseum.

Rush

Rest easy Disney will not do that
😁
They love their money, and China's economy (despite being stagnant in growth recently) is an attractive capital market for mega corporations like Disney Company. And it's not only the park and the huge market. It's the fact that the majority of Disney's merch is made there, and made CHEAPLY. Disney is a capitalist machine that does not care about any human rights issues in places it does great business with.

Sir_Cliff

I don’t disagree but who could have foreseen Covid?

A fast growing economy and hundreds of millions of new middle class people had to look like a gold mine.

I thought they were crazy for building in a country where the government could simply claim ownership whenever they wanted but prior to 2020 who would have ever guessed they’d be closed for years due to a pandemic?
I agree, though I would have thought Disney was more cautious about the potential for political instability. Not that the CCP will fall or anything like that, but the potential for some international conflict that would see the park close or be seized by the Chinese government.

That said, they probably made a reasonable wager that the US government won't put sanctions on China the likes of which we are seeing on Russia and that China will try to stop short of doing anything that would cause US & other Western companies in the country to leave en mass anytime soon. The damage to both sides would like just be too great in either scenario. The other calculation is probably that if they ever do have to abandon the resort, Disney can afford to take the hit so it was worth the risk.

BrianLo

Since the park originally opened to guests has it been closed more than opened?

Disney would be better off just pulling out and scrapping it.

Disneyland Resort has actually (as of this time) been closed longer for the pandemic in totality than SHDL.

The recurrence of course is more unique. It could change if this keeps happening, but this resort wasn't really the biggest financial problem during the pandemic.

Lilofan

I agree, though I would have thought Disney was more cautious about the potential for political instability. Not that the CCP will fall or anything like that, but the potential for some international conflict that would see the park close or be seized by the Chinese government.

That said, they probably made a reasonable wager that the US government won't put sanctions on China the likes of which we are seeing on Russia and that China will try to stop short of doing anything that would cause US & other Western companies in the country to leave en mass anytime soon. The damage to both sides would like just be too great in either scenario. The other calculation is probably that if they ever do have to abandon the resort, Disney can afford to take the hit so it was worth the risk.
Sanctions, won't happen. Approx 70% of our meds come from there. We are dependent on them.

IanDLBZF

And they closed again.
In order to follow the requirement of pandemic prevention and control, Shanghai Disneyland will be temporarily closed starting Tuesday, November 29, 2022. We will notify guests as soon as we have a confirmed date to resume operations.
Disneytown, Wishing Star Park and the two resort hotels will continue to operate normally.
We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide refund or exchanges for all guests impacted during this period.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Shanghai Disney Resort

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom