mf1972

B87A5E39-71BD-44C9-A569-CC5E4287CB8B.gif

everybody was king fu fighting…
those cats were fast as lightning…

Magenta Panther

That was just one "happy" ghost that said that. :p

Um, well...

From Variety:

Marvel’s superhero epics “Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings” and “Eternals,” as well as “The Suicide Squad” and Christopher Nolan’s mind-bender “Tenet” all stand to finish in the red with losses in the tens of millions.

Not that I give a darn one way or the other...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Um, well...

From Variety:

Marvel’s superhero epics “Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings” and “Eternals,” as well as “The Suicide Squad” and Christopher Nolan’s mind-bender “Tenet” all stand to finish in the red with losses in the tens of millions.

To be clear the article doesn't call it a flop, just that it and other movies lost money overall due to a global pandemic. During normal times its very likely Shang-Chi (and maybe even Eternals) would likely have made a lot more. But unfortunately we'll never find out.

Archie123

Um, well...

From Variety:

Obviously you give some type of darn since you looked for the article and took time to write your post. But don’t let a little pandemic change how to judge a movies‘ success.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Even if the movie "lost" money, and I put that in quotes because Hollywood has famously downplayed the profitability of movies, it's not the end of the world.

First off, it only looks at theatrical grosses. There's also merchandise. There's also home video.

There's also the Disney+ factor. Did it drive new subscriptions? Is it a factor in keeping people subscribed? They specifically didn't do a VOD release for this movie, something No Time to Die made a lot of money from according to the MSN article. As Disney said, it was a bit of an experiment and will help them determine the best release pattern moving forward.

Black Widow made less money theatrically but was competing with itself as a Disney+ early access title. I'm sure Disney is comparing the two releases to determine how to best maximize revenue moving forward. I suspect the No Time to Die approach will become common. Theatrical release followed by premium rental period 30-45 days later followed by traditional home release.

It made enough money under the circumstances to show positive audience response and shows the character should make more money with future installments and play a factor in the next big Avengers event movie(s).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed for franchise movies, a post - theatrical window or two can move it from the red to the black. Depends how much it lost at the B. O.

Jedijax719

Shang Chi, as a character and a movie, has been one of THE shining stars since the meh post-pandemic MCU phases. I would MUCH rather see a new Shang Chi movie than most of the movies we've seen (except BP-I love BP). Quantumania left me uninspired and confused. Strange2 destroyed Wanda's character arc. Forget Thor. Guardians are finished. Shang Chi made a great first impression and had a simple but compelling enough story to catch on.

doctornick

The circumstances being "nobody cares."

Which is a bummer because the first one was really good.
It did fairly well at the box office considering the post-pandemic time frame when it was released. Generally people who saw it seemed to like it in my experience and based on online commentary.

No idea how a sequel will do, but I don't think I'd put it in the box of "nobody cares" (unlike say Eternals)

Phroobar

iu

Last I checked there is still unsold Shang-chi, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid, Black Widow, Wakanda Forever, Indiana Jones toys clogging the toy aisles. Most of it is Wakanda Forever stuff doesn't even sell at clearance.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
iu

Last I checked there is still unsold Shang-chi, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid, Black Widow, Wakanda Forever, Indiana Jones toys clogging the toy aisles. Most of it is Wakanda Forever stuff doesn't even sell at clearance.

Sounds like the Inventory Clerk at the stores you go do aren't doing their job about clearing inventory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom