Shake up in imagineering=alot of new rides?

WeLComeHomE OKW

Original Poster
Straight from the sources (blue sky disney blog) mouth:

"Much has happened since I posted out Anaheim report. The most important of course being the shake up at WDI. While this is a good thing, it also puts several projects into limbo. Most of these proposals are making it through the design or approval phase anyway and with a new regime it calls into question everything. The new leaders will want to look at most of these proposals before going ahead... so I don't want anyone e-mailing me about "creating from thin air" what is mentioned in this article. If what is mentioned doesn't happen... don't blame the messenger. Things change fast at WDI...

That being said, I like what is happening with the restructuring within the walls of 1401 Flower Street. As some of you may have already heard, former Research and Development Vice President Bruce Vaughn is now in the position that Chief Creative Executive Tom Fitzgerald. Vaughn is well liked within the company and a strong advocate of the creative process over the bureacratic process that has built up under Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald will still be working at WDI focusing on the oversight of show development, story integration and uh, um "blue sky" brainstorming process.

Craig Russell, former Vice President of Environmental Design and Show Engineering is now Chief Design and Delivery Executive at WDI. The former WDI President Don Goodman moves out of WDI and into his new role as executive Vice President for resort development. His position is something akin to recreating the Disney Development Company that designed the hotels for the company in the 80's before Eisner combined it with the rest of Imagineering. It appears that it will still be part of the company, but a seperate unit ran by Goodman and the very well liked, Wing Chao. The role Goodman had as President will not be refilled. Some people think that John Lasseter will partially take over this job in an unofficial capacity.

The new structure is great because it will do for WDI what Lasseter and Catmull have done for WDAS, with is to eliminate the layers of bureacracy and middle management that the creatives have to go through to get something done. From now on, Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde and Joe Lanzisero along with other Creative Executives will report directly to Vaughn. As Jim Hill reported, one of Vaughn's comments were "we are no longer going to design rides we don't build". This could be great news since WDI literally designs hundreds upon hundreds of attractions that literally never see the light of day. Unless the Oriental Land Company builds them, of course. This offers a light of hope on projects that got stuck in the approval process over the years because of political back stabbing, but the road ahead is not yet clear so we'll have to wait and let the dust settle. A whole new world may have opened up for Walt Disney Imagineering though...

A lot is going on at the Reedy Creek Improvement District, aka: Walt Disney World. The Walt Disney Company is trying to maximize it's profits without having to put a great deal more expense which is why we heard the announcement of those two projects that would be on the property, but not created by the property. With the Four Seasons at WDW and the Westward Way expansion, they intend on getting as much out of partnering with others while not having to incure the expense associated with the new hotels, shopping centers and developed co-ops.

As for what Disney themselves are doing, we have the progression of the DVC units being build near the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the new addition to the Contemporary that some have dubbed: the Watergate Tower. While I may not be estatic about the look of the tower, I don't take as much offense as other to the design. The Animal Kingdom DVC expansion is something I absolutely love, on the other hand.

There are two other properties being looked at for DVC opportunities, but it's in the early phase and will likely not see any announcements until late 2009.

A new, third themed water park is making its way through the approval process. It still has a long ways to go but the plans right now will have it tie the park in with some of Disney's cinematic properties if all is approved. Don't expect to hear anything publicly about this till sometime in mid 2008 at the earliest.

Despite everyone being depressed about the company announcing no current plans for a "Fifth Gate" in the current future, that doesn't mean ideas aren't being discussed. There is plenty of land for future use. Enough in the southern section for at least two full size parks if they are ever approved. There are "blue sky" proposals for a new park. Actually, three have been seen in the halls of WDI. These projects that are in the embryonic proposal phase and could wind up as a fifth park or serve as inspiration for Hong Kong's second gate or even Tokyo. Should the economy keep firing on all cylinders, the proposals will be narrowed down and one could look for an announcement near the beginning of the next decade. That puts the completion of a fifth park somewhere in the ball park of 2014-2015. Just in time for the preperations for the 45th anniversary of the park. How coincidental? Hmmm...

MAGIC KINGDOM

The Magic Kingdom is the park with the least going on. At least from my sources at WDI. This could all be thrown around now that the new structure is being put in place over on Flower Street, but the full effect of the reorganization won't be clear until summer is over. As for now, there are proposals for a new parade that would corrispond with some additional entertainment, but otherwise the next "E" ticket isn't planned for at least 2009. Lasseter and crew have a couple propsals that are being pitched about but nothing is concrete at the moment. As far as it being a Pixar ride, I'm sure some of you are thinking of asking... well, as of now the proposal's don't involve creations from Disney's Emeryville branch. In fact, of the two proposals my sources know of, one involves a "classic" Disney character and the other is something entirely different. Hopefully, if Disneyland's new Christmas overlay works out well it will be applied to Orlando's castle as well, but we won't know for sure till early next year.

EPCOT

By now, everyone knows that Epcot's Spaceship Earth will open next year with a brand new interior and from what people have seen so far it's a great redo. From one of my sources, the new attraction will really entertain guest in the best "Epcot" way. Talk continues about "THE WAND" coming down. The decision hasn't been made official, but signs are good that it could come down by next year... so cross your fingers. There are a couple prominent ideas for Epcot's next "E" ticket, but within departments, it won't see daylight till 2010 probably.

Over in World Showcase, there is a faction within WDI that wants to address some of the eyesores that disrupt the view of the lands. No, I'm not talking about the Dolphin and Swan... that requires more radical surgery. But there is momentum from a group of Imagineers to reintroduce a proposal to retheme the back of Soarin' to the Canadian Rockies which would hide the show building and give the area another "E" ticket ride simular to DCA's GRR. Other areas are supposed to be addressed if the plan goes through, again... these are "blue sky" proposal's so it'll all depend on the new management and how much they desire to fix the mistakes of the past.

DISNEY-PIXAR STUDIOS

Disney-MGM Studios, or as we will be calling it soon, Disney-Pixar Studios has the most promising future ahead of it. With the park meandering as to what it's identity has been over the last few years it is slated to get a good deal of attention over the next couple years. The name will not be the only rebranding of the park. A direction as to what kind of park it is will begin in the fall with the expected announcement of the name change. Once that is done there will be some major changes in theme and design in various parts of the studio. Lasseter himself has expressed an interest in refocusing the park towards a much more family friendly movie experience. Expect at least one and possibly two "E" tickets and two to four "C" or "D" tickets to be approved in the next year or so that will focus on making the experience one has when entering the former MGM park, a truly memorable one. Some of these projects will have a direct impact on WDW's sister park in Anaheim. What projects am I talking about. Well let me just give you their innitials... ST 2.0 and IJ4. How's that for a tease? These will be a huge draw for the studio when all this is said and done around... 2011. There's that year again. Sorry, my lips are sealed. There'll be nothing else for now...

The results of Epedition Everest are a great sign for Animal Kingdom. However, the high expense of the ride itself has been an inhibitor in bringing forward that most holy grail of DAK projects: Beastly Kingdom. There is still a small group within WDI that wants to do BK, but the amount of money it will cost has many managers hesitant to put that much capital into such an attraction. The wildcard in this is Lasseter. While it is not known if he will champion BK, he is much in favor of creating rides that immerse the guest and doesn't seem interested in throwing out mediocre attractions to simply have WDI keep busy. There are Imagineers who have been trying to get one of several small scale theming proposals for Dinoland approved, but under the old management the approval was moving at a snails pace. Perhaps the new leadership will allow these blue sky proposals which would take away the gharish, carnival atmosphere and give the area a more atmospheric touch to move forward? Clearly the days of Paul Pressler are over. The recent changes in WDI and the rising stock of Joe Rohde could bring BK out of the shadows and onto the fast track. At the very least, Joe's position means DAK will be receiving a disproportional amount of attention over the next few years.

Well, that's all I can relate without getting caught in Disney's dragnet or having my friends shot. Hope you enjoyed it and have a great Memorial Day weekend. Stay tuned for more updates later in June..."

the actual link is blueskydisney.blogspot.com

i was hoping someone would have already posted this, but i guess ill do it! let the talkbacks begin!

-Garrett

P.S. Im workin at Great movie Ride over the summer. come visit!

SDav10495

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful post! Thanks very much for this info! :D

OK, so I admit that a big reason for my grin is the wand rumor. But I'm equally as thrilled about everything else that seems to be changing already at WDI. This is a pretty exciting report.

Champion

two other properties being looked at for DVC

Probably GF and the Poly.
third themed water park

Obviously referring to the Pirates waterpark.

fifth park somewhere in the ball park of 2014-2015.

That would be about right when talking about the point where they would have the crowd numbers to sustain it.

MK

the next "E" ticket isn't planned for at least 2009

MK needs the least in terms of a new big ticket and most TLC, so this is a good thing.

Epcot

"THE WAND"
coming down. The decision hasn't been made official, but signs are good that it could come down by next year

I still see this as doubtful, unless they are planning on putting some sort of Epcot sign in the entrance plaza.

DISNEY-PIXAR STUDIOS

some major changes in theme and design in various parts of the studio.

That much should be clear, the old theme needs to be updated since they aren't working studios.

Expect at least one and possibly two "E" tickets and two to four "C" or "D" tickets to be approved in the next year or so that will focus on making the experience one has when entering the former MGM park,

Three new attractions should help the park immensely. It badly needs it.

ST 2.0 and IJ4.

Obviously Star Tours 2.0 and Indiana Jones 4. Knowing Lucas, he would make sure he got both done if they wanted to do one.

WDI that wants to do BK,

BK won't ever be built in the way it was originally planned. I can see a 'new' BK being built, with an area where they can have a nighttime show and a couple attractions to completely turn AK into a full day park.

ToTBellHop

definitely an interesting read. We'll have to see how much actually happens, though. Many of these rumors have been around for years, so I'm not at all surprised that they are still blue sky projects for WDI. WDI being dysfunctional, however, was not the only reason that these projects gathered mothballs. We'll have to see if everyone involved is amenable to new developments. These rumors would be exciting, if true, however--another great period for WDW like the early to mid 90s.

What is the Blue Sky Disney Blog, anyway? Is it written by some joe schmoe? Honor Hunter says he's a writer.

mitchk

Very interesting. I would love to see a new water park, and Disney Studios needs help, besides all that, I'd like to see most of these things happen

Enigma

Account Suspended
All of these projects were in the works before the new WDI came into place and there are rumors that every project...even ones greenlit like Spaceship Earth are getting reevaluated by the new team (Vaughn/Russell/Lasseter). We have no idea what projects will survive, which new projects will emerge and what plans get altered by the new team.

The matter is only complicated by Universal announcing a massive Harry Potter project and snatching the robotic arm technology.

JimboJones123

Info about the WAND makes me think it just fan wishes more than anything else. I can't believe that the WAND would be a top priority. But maybe it's just because it doesn't bother me.

wickedfan07

Very interesting article. I like that the Studios and world Showcase are rumored to be getting some attention. (I'm also happy about the possible demise of that infamous steel structure we all love...) Hopefully all goes according to plan and we have some new, amazing attractions coming our way in a few years.

About the water park...is it really supposed to be Pirates-themed? I know Pirates is popular right now, but will it be popular enough to draw crowds 15 years from now?

I'm also slightly troubled by the fact that the article makes no emtnion of continued refurbishments for our favorite aging Magic Kingdom attractions...

In light of today's Universal-Harry Potter marriage announcement, I wonder what Disney will counter Universal's expansion with? Does WDI has one big-whopper project (much like the Potter project), or several projects across all four parks? I'm interested to see how this plays out. Either way, competition is good for us as consumers. We'll get to enjoy more at the parks (hopefully, at least).

Thanks for posting this article. Very neat stuff. :wave:

EDIT:
Info about the WAND makes me think it just fan wishes more than anything else. I can't believe that the WAND would be a top priority. But maybe it's just because it doesn't bother me.
Maybe the wand was a product of WDI's former buracracy, adn now that the buracracy is going away, so will the wand? Or maybe John Lasseter just noticed it and decided he hates it...

P.S. I wonder what Corrus or Lee have to say about this article...:lookaroun

HandyAndy

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

When you mentioned Indie for the Studios, are you referring to a Disneylan Indie style ride or an upgrade to the stunt show or something completely different?? Love my Indy :D

Figment571

"Mr. Blue Sky,
Please tell us why,
You had to hide away for so long, let it drift along"

This is awesome! I wonder what all of this means in the hiring and requirements of new Imagineers. I need to learn how to draw......
I can write though! Actually getting ideas for a western story.

But I hope this all is true. Maybe MGM will once again become the Hollywood that never was.

AEfx

If they put the Indy ride into MGM, I'd be a happy camper. That's the only blue-sky attraction I really care about seeing. MGM really needs a ride like that. Star Tours 2.0 is great and all, as long as it's not pod-racing garbage as was rumored awhile back. Nothing says Star Wars like...ground racing...

AEfx

Champion

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

When you mentioned Indie for the Studios, are you referring to a Disneylan Indie style ride or an upgrade to the stunt show or something completely different?? Love my Indy :D

He didn't write the article, it was on an Imagineering blog.

This is awesome! I wonder what all of this means in the hiring and requirements of new Imagineers. I need to learn how to draw......
I can write though! Actually getting ideas for a western story.

There are a lot more jobs at WDI then writing and drawing. Tons of different disciplines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom