Shadowboxes

Bug715

Its not exactly the same but my mom made me one for my college program.

HPIM0565.jpg

Since then I've added a glow cube and a few special pins. Its haning in my room and I have some Disney Glasses sitting on it and a pair of mickey ears on the corner.

Its nowhere near the offical disney ones but I love it.

tigsmom

I made a shadow box for Princess #2 this Christmas. I put all of the Jack Skellington pins in it that I got off of ebay for her. I bought a shadow box from Michaels ( it had a black velvet background), mounted some foam on it and attached the pins. I don't have a pic though, sorry. This is the box I used Click here .

Bug715

O yea, I have one from a friend of stuff from high school. She got it at Target and it wasn't too expensive. I think my mom got the one she made at Pottery Barn which would cost more but depends on size also.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Richard that's adorable!!!
Thanks.

To the OP....I took a quick look at the shadowboxes in the link. They are not super hard to make but to do them at that level of quality you will need some specialized equipment to produce a reasonable facsimile with unlimited creativity. There are some shortcuts you can take but you be regulated to what you can find premade in a craft store.

First and foremost you will need to find some pre-made shadow boxes at someplace like Hobby Lobby, Michale's, etc. Look for one of their half off frames sales for the best deal. Second you will need a decent mat cutter (about $100 and up) or find some precut mats that will fit your shadow boxes with some minor edge trimming that can be done with a photo trimmer. ($50 or less) Next you will need to look at getting a circut machine or buying premade scrap booking letters, shapes, etc. After that it is simply a matter of assembly. Wood dowels are great for suspending the letters to give that 3D look. They are cheep, readily available and very easy to work with.

As with anything start cheep until you get a hang of it. Don't be afraid to buy some stuff knowing that it will just be a learning experience and you will not be able to produce anything you would hang on a wall. Find a shadow box that is slightly damaged and you can get for next to nothing and grab some scrap book stuff that is on clearance, and start experimenting.

Jebiford29

Thanks.

To the OP....I took a quick look at the shadowboxes in the link. They are not super hard to make but to do them at that level of quality you will need some specialized equipment to produce a reasonable facsimile with unlimited creativity. There are some shortcuts you can take but you be regulated to what you can find premade in a craft store.

First and foremost you will need to find some pre-made shadow boxes at someplace like Hobby Lobby, Michale's, etc. Look for one of their half off frames sales for the best deal. Second you will need a decent mat cutter (about $100 and up) or find some precut mats that will fit your shadow boxes with some minor edge trimming that can be done with a photo trimmer. ($50 or less) Next you will need to look at getting a circut machine or buying premade scrap booking letters, shapes, etc. After that it is simply a matter of assembly. Wood dowels are great for suspending the letters to give that 3D look. They are cheep, readily available and very easy to work with.

As with anything start cheep until you get a hang of it. Don't be afraid to buy some stuff knowing that it will just be a learning experience and you will not be able to produce anything you would hang on a wall. Find a shadow box that is slightly damaged and you can get for next to nothing and grab some scrap book stuff that is on clearance, and start experimenting.

Richard,

You, sir, are truly a jack of all trades. A True Renaissance Man.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom