Seven Day Press Event Scheduled for May 21st

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
WDWMagic's very own @Rteetz has informed me that Disney has a seven day press event scheduled beginning May 21st. Details on what will be discussed have not been given, but the assumption is obviously Pandora: The World of AVATAR.

These events occasionally announce new information but are often used to introduce a new attraction or entertainment offering. Other possibilities include:

• Rivers of Light
  • Toy Story Land details
  • Star Wars Land details
  • Caribbean Beach expansion
  • Epcot additions

Less than two months after this event, Disney will be running the D23 Expo in Anaheim, CA (July 14-16, 2017). That event is typically where announcements of new attractions are made. Link.

Unplugged

Oh please have some sort of Epcot announcement. Idk if I can wait until D23. :oops:
From the way Disney has always made (or NOT made) announcements in the past, I have a bad feeling we are not going to see anything about EPCOT. Reason is it will detract from Avatar, and people know TSL & SWL are in the works and looking for more details. They were very quiet about the DHS plans until the last possible minute, even though it had leaked as a 95% likely project (as big as it was rumored to be).

Only speculation, so place your bets everyone. Doesn't matter what the odds are, they're against you and will change.

Rteetz

I think you could also include a Wishes replacement and/or a new light parade (PTN, if it were decided to come to WDW) as possibilities on the table.

Edit: There almost certainly will be details on the Wilderness Lodge DVC units that will open/sell soon after that time and other changes to that resort.
Yep. Each day will probably have a different theme. Pandora could be 1-2 days. WL DVC another part, nighttime entertainment, maybe an announcement we haven't thought about yet. Miss Adventure falls will already be open but maybe a look a that too.

flyerjab

Yep. Each day will probably have a different theme. Pandora could be 1-2 days. WL DVC another part, nighttime entertainment, maybe an announcement we haven't thought about yet. Miss Adventure falls will already be open but maybe a look a that too.

Isn't there usually some marketing scheme each year? Last year's Awakenings obviously was a shallow effort thanks to RoL not having woken up (yet).

Maybe the work being done at CBR will be detailed. I would think that Miss Adventure Falls will also be trumpeted, especially considering the fact that Volcano Bay will be stealing people away from Disney's water parks starting this year.

But obviously, Pandora and RoL I would imagine, will be highlights. I wouldn't even be surprised if the ToL awakenings, Sunset Safaris, and evening entertainment throughout DAK is highlighted again now that an evening at DAK will be more of a complete package.

Rteetz

Isn't there usually some marketing scheme each year? Last year's Awakenings obviously was a shallow effort thanks to RoL not having woken up (yet).

Maybe the work being done at CBR will be detailed. I would think that Miss Adventure Falls will also be trumpeted, especially considering the fact that Volcano Bay will be stealing people away from Disney's water parks starting this year.

But obviously, Pandora and RoL I would imagine, will be highlights. I wouldn't even be surprised if the ToL awakenings, Sunset Safaris, and evening entertainment throughout DAK is highlighted again now that an evening at DAK will be more of a complete package.
Yes there usually is a big theme. I think last year was awaken summer or something. My guess is it will focus around Pandora with other pieces added in. Maybe the theme will be Adventure? I think they might have a press presentation with people like Kalogridis and Chapek where they announce sales for WL DVC but then mention oh we're doing something at CBR too.

Maybe even another water park announcement? They've are going to try and steal that thunder from universal like you said.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I wouldn't get all that interested in the length - it isn't going to be 7 days of announcements. These events serve as resort showcases to educate the much wider audience around the world. Of course Pandora will be part of it, but I wouldn't expect a ton of detail on either Toy Story or Star Wars. Disney will want all of the attention of DAK, and not giving the impression to potential guests that they would hold off a trip until Star Wars is done.

7 days is longer than usual, but the scale of these events is growing each year. Throw in print, online, tv, radio and travel agencies, and you have a lot of people to move around.

Disneyhead'71

I wouldn't get all that interested in the length - it isn't going to be 7 days of announcements. These events serve as resort showcases to educate the much wider audience around the world. Of course Pandora will be part of it, but I wouldn't expect a ton of detail on either Toy Story or Star Wars. Disney will want all of the attention of DAK, and not giving the impression to potential guests that they would hold off a trip until Star Wars is done.

7 days is longer than usual, but the scale of these events is growing each year. Throw in print, online, tv, radio and travel agencies, and you have a lot of people to move around.
Bingo! They do this every year. It is the marketing/media event for the kick off of summer.

That said, Avatar will be the theme and the bulk of info.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Seems like this is an expanded version of "What's New, What's Next", which typically has involved showing off recent changes and talking more about the status of already announced things. Maybe a small announcement (new restaurant, e.g.) here and there, but typically not any big surprises. I'd bet on:
  • Show off Rivers of Light
  • Show off Muppets Liberty Square
  • Highlight the upcoming summer promotional events, including special parade/fireworks/concerts or whatever they do
  • New restaurants at Disney Springs, with a highlight on PH Observatory, Paddlefish, and the Edison, and to a lesser extent the other new offerings recently, such as STK, Morimoto, and Al Smith's Homecoming
  • New slide at Typhoon Lagoon
  • New rooms at WLV and/or Poly overwater bungalows
  • Pizzerizzo and construction walls at DHS
  • Parking garages and new stores at Springs
Lots to highlight, I suspect, but I don't think there will be any major announcements.

RobbinsDad

Someone mentioned it, but I imagine all the new offerings at Disney Springs will also be highlighted - specifically the new Planet Hollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom