Sesame Street Land

CJR

Original Poster
Not "new news", but Sea World is moving forward with the Sesame Street land. I'm assuming they're going to call it Sesame Place, like their other stand alone parks. The land is expected to be ready for guests summer of 2019.

You can see some concept art in the article from the Orlando Business Journal.

My opinion: It looks nice and should be a fun experience for families with younger kids. While it doesn't necessarily fit with the "sea" theme, I think it'll be a solid revamp of the current Happy Harbor area. I'm not sure this will solve all of Sea World's problems, but it's a solid move that should help make the park more attractive to guests and potential buyers/investors, should they eventually go that route.

lazyboy97o

I'm assuming they're going to call it Sesame Place, like their other stand alone parks.
I don’t know why it isn’t being reported widely, but it’ll be Sesame Street at SeaWorld. It’s even up on the SeaWorld Orlando website.
https://seaworld.com/orlando/rides/sesame-street/

This is going to have a hell of a time competing against Star Wars and Harry Potter. SeaWorld needs a stellar, must-see attraction.

Animaniac93-98

This is going to have a hell of a time competing against Star Wars and Harry Potter. SeaWorld needs a stellar, must-see attraction.

Do they even have the money or IP to try? Could they get, say, DC comics if they wanted (yes I know they're with Six Flags)?

Their biggest selling point is now their most controversial. I can't think of a historical comparison with another amusement park, or how they are going to survive long term. A 3rd UNI park might be the final nail in the coffin for them.

lazyboy97o

Do they even have the money or IP to try? Could they get, say, DC comics if they wanted (yes I know they're with Six Flags)?
I don’t think IP is the issue, but I do think they’re shy about spending so much on a single attraction after Antartica. New parks aren’t exactly cheap and they’ve got the money for that.

CJR

Original Poster
SeaWorld needs a stellar, must-see attraction.

Hopefully that's the next plan after this. I think this was good, just because it's something they already had the rights to and have not yet taken much advantage of. Really though, I think they could do something really cool with that "Sea Rescue" concept they were looking at before. There's quite a bit they could do with the rescue theme.

The Empress Lilly

This year's Infinity Wars...erm...Falls?

https://seaworld.com/orlando/rides/infinity-falls/

Frankly, my Potter quota was filled with Hogsmeade already. With the closure of my beloved dragons I am back to SEA this year and will skip UNI.
Odd as it may sound, neither Disney nor UNI seem to be in the business currently of building thrilling coasters, so I might find the Busch / Sea World combination quite irrresitable the next few years.

Big Bang

Is Sesame Street still a major IP?

Depressing. Someone buy this park.
Overall, yes I think Sesame Street is a major IP with a lot of value to young kids. That said, pairing up with SeaWorld probably wasn't the best option for them. Then again, with Universal pressed for space and still ramping up for their expansion at the new site, they probably couldn't accommodate them in a timely manner. Maybe the same with Disney World.

I have been curious for some time though, if Sesame Workshop's non-profit business model is going to be sustainable in the long term.

lazyboy97o

Overall, yes I think Sesame Street is a major IP with a lot of value to young kids. That said, pairing up with SeaWorld probably wasn't the best option for them. Then again, with Universal pressed for space and still ramping up for their expansion at the new site, they probably couldn't accommodate them in a timely manner. Maybe the same with Disney World.

I have been curious for some time though, if Sesame Workshop's non-profit business model is going to be sustainable in the long term.
Anheuser-Busch built Sesame Place, so the relationship predates Busch Entertainment's 1989 acquisition of SeaWorld by a decade.

SuperStretccch

This will be a nice addition for the young'uns. I preferred the Shamu theme, but it seems like they're now trying to phase out the Shamu name anywhere they can, what with the show closing next year.

I noticed yesterday that they moved the Seven Seas Railway train ride next to Wild Arctic. It must be temporary while they construct Sesame Street, because I can't imagine it staying over there permanently.

No Name

Damn this makes Galaxy's Edge look like a godly fit for DHS. What the hell does Sesame Street have to do with sea life and will there be any attempt to make that work? I think not. I think this one will leave the most regular guests scratching their heads.

joanna71985

Damn this makes Galaxy's Edge look like a godly fit for DHS. What the hell does Sesame Street have to do with sea life and will there be any attempt to make that work? I think not. I think this one will leave the most regular guests scratching their heads.

Sesame Street has been part of the SeaWorld company for awhile. There have been multiple shows at SWO throughout the year (as well as the characters out for photos), and there is a section at BG with them too. I think the new section will do just fine

lazyboy97o

Sesame Street has been with HBO since 2015. I highly doubt it’s still considered a “not-profit”
Sesame Street is still owned and produced by Sesame Workshop, which is still a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Non-profit does not mean non-revenue. Sesame Workshop posts financial statements on their website.

aladdin2007

lol couldn't agree more, have been questioning this it since it was announced, I dont care if its part of the family of companies or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom