"Service" your Transmission

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I'll post this link relating to : "Honda Accord Maintenance Schedule" and then I'll ask some questions....
My wife's Honda has an Oil Change Appointment tomorrow at the Honda Dealership ( SHE requested that )
The mileage on her car is about 61,000 right now. I am taking it to its 9:30am appt. She is staying home.
After opening the link it is suggested that the vehicle's owner should "Service your Transmission" at 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles, 90,000 miles.
So what "service" should I authorize? I don't want to be taken advantage of so any specific responses would be appreciated.
She got a new battery last winter so that should be fine.
She's had new FRONT brake pads but nothing has ever been done with the rear brakes.
6,000 miles ago I was told the should be serviced "next time" but as I back up the car....or just drive it in general I don't notice anything.
OK I'll stop for now and see what anyone has to say.
Sure I'd enjoy people commenting on what I have mentioned but it would be great if posters also made suggestions or comments on anything that I did not cover.
Steve

Lilofan

I'll post this link relating to : "Honda Accord Maintenance Schedule" and then I'll ask some questions....
My wife's Honda has an Oil Change Appointment tomorrow at the Honda Dealership ( SHE requested that )
The mileage on her car is about 61,000 right now. I am taking it to its 9:30am appt. She is staying home.
After opening the link it is suggested that the vehicle's owner should "Service your Transmission" at 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles, 90,000 miles.
So what "service" should I authorize? I don't want to be taken advantage of so any specific responses would be appreciated.
She got a new battery last winter so that should be fine.
She's had new FRONT brake pads but nothing has ever been done with the rear brakes.
6,000 miles ago I was told the should be serviced "next time" but as I back up the car....or just drive it in general I don't notice anything.
OK I'll stop for now and see what anyone has to say.
Sure I'd enjoy people commenting on what I have mentioned but it would be great if posters also made suggestions or comments on anything that I did not cover.
Steve
Its a transmission flush and fill. Its a cash grab for dealers. I have read flush and fill in severe conditions every 37.5K, normal conditions every 120K. My dealer I got to put up then shut up . Service was trying to sell me on coolant flush and fill , I have 60K miles. I showed them in the inside part of the hood, factory recommend every 10 years or 100K On the sticker in my hood. . Service writers can really up sell on services you do not need. I would go to Mavis . They have free brake inspection. They can tell you the life expectancy of the rear pads.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Looked at my notes.
Front brakes were done at 49,673 miles
Air Filter was replaced at 30,691 miles and 55,248 miles
New Cabin Filter was installed at 37,070 miles.
IMPORTANT UPDATE.....I SEE I AGREED TO A TRANSMISSION SERVICE AT 37,070 MILES.
SO IF I FOLLOWED THE IDEA YOU NEED THAT EVERY 30,000 MILES I WOULD CONSENT TO THAT NEXT TIME....I am at 61,000...next time at 67,000 miles I would agree to that. Correct?

FoodRockz

Looked at my notes.
SO IF I FOLLOWED THE IDEA YOU NEED THAT EVERY 30,000 MILES I WOULD CONSENT TO THAT NEXT TIME....I am at 61,000...next time at 67,000 miles I would agree to that. Correct?
What year is your Accord? I can find you the actual manual from Honda. Dealer page is probably lying.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Its a transmission flush and fill. Its a cash grab for dealers. I have read flush and fill in severe conditions every 37.5K, normal conditions every 120K. My dealer I got to put up then shut up . Service was trying to sell me on coolant flush and fill , I have 60K miles. I showed them in the inside part of the hood, factory recommend every 10 years or 100K On the sticker in my hood. . Service writers can really up sell on services you do not need. I would go to Mavis . They have free brake inspection. They can tell you the life expectancy of the rear pads.
I'm going to a different Honda Dealership than in the past. I will make it clear that I left the other one for a reason and I am giving this different one a chance. Treat me properly and I will return. If not, it will be one and done.
I take my Mazda to Mr. Tire but MY WIFE WANTS the Honda Dealership. Kind of non negotiable.
Anyway, @Lilofan or anyone else...please look over Post #3 and quote me with any feedback. Thanks! :)

Lilofan

Looked at my notes.
Yes but every 30K for transmission flush and fill is more profit for dealers for unnecessary services. I disagree on new cabin air filter. Minimum it should be changed every 15K. That filter the tech changed must be filthy black at 37K. It is easy to do. The more clogged the cabin filter is the harder your AC to work and your family breathe dirty air. It is located generally behind glove box. $30 filter, dealer charges $99 part and labor. It takes about 30 sec to change cabin air filter DIY. I learned on You Tube. A tech said one of the moat overlooked simplest filters to change is the cabin air filter . Lots of AC repair he advised when filters don't get changed and AC needs repair.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
@FoodRockz
I am taking my wife's 2016 Honda Accord with 61,000 miles for an oil change.
Kindly look at Post #3 for some of the maintenance history I've authorized.
Keeping that in mind, what should I request? ....or what should I expect the Service manager to suggest?

FoodRockz

I'm working on opening the document, but my phone is evidently blocking it. I can assure you, no modern automatic transmission needs to be "serviced" that often.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Yes but every 30K for transmission flush and fill is more profit for dealers for unnecessary services. I disagree on new cabin air filter. Minimum it should be changed every 15K. That filter the tech changed must be filthy black at 37K. It is easy to do. The more clogged the cabin filter is the harder your AC to work and your family breathe dirty air. It is located generally behind glove box. $30 filter, dealer charges $99 part and labor. It takes about 30 sec to change cabin air filter DIY. I learned on You Tube. A tech said one of the moat overlooked simplest filters to change is the cabin air filter . Lots of AC repair he advised when filters don't get changed and AC needs repair.
In my maintenance history notes I wrote "CVT"
I found this...
Does that make any difference?

Lilofan

In my maintenance history notes I wrote "CVT"
I found this...
Does that make any difference?
Sorry I did not read- CVT. Yes it needs more frequent flushes and it fails around 100K miles, Regular automatic trans last 2x as long. That's why I stay away from buying a car with a CVT.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Sorry I did not read- CVT. Yes it needs more frequent flushes and it fails around 100K miles, Regular automatic trans last 2x as long. That's why I stay away from buying a car with a CVT.
So if her car last had a CVT flush at 37,070 miles should I get one tomorrow at 61,090 miles? ......or since I take her car for an oil change every 6,000 miles, should I wait and get the CVT flushed NEXT TIME when we will be around 67,000 miles?

Lilofan

So if her car last had a CVT flush at 37,070 miles should I get one tomorrow at 61,090 miles? ......or since I take her car for an oil change every 6,000 miles, should I wait and get the CVT flushed NEXT TIME when we will be around 67,000 miles?
I'd go 67K, get both services done in one visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom