Seriously Considering Joining DVC Based on Article

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
My husband recently read an article written with some information from Bob Iger regarding discounts at resorts. I think everyone knows he said the discounts will be scaled back. I just did a search looking for the article and saw a blog with some information regarding the future of discounts from CMs.
I know that a lot of the info passed down the grapevine from CMs can be questionable for several reasons. However, this particular CM pointed out some true trends and facts. The biggest change seems to be more catches like shorter windows and fewer rooms or resort exclusions. This has encouraged us to do some serious considertion of DVC.
took the tour last December and really disliked our tour guide. He was very pushy and impatient. We didn't buy largely because of personal reasons, but his attitude really discouraged us.
So, when resort prices cames out this year, we booked hoping for a discount. I started looking at renting points. After I did the math, 18 days on rental points would cost us half of what two weeks at rack rate price is at the WL. We looked at the possible tiers of discounts and still came out ahead renting.
I used to think DVC owners got the shaft when offers like 4/3 came along because points don't get the same benefit. However, even with fees and points cost, it's almost impossible to come out ahead even in the best discount situations. Plus, discounts are a far cry from a sure thing.

What are your thoughts on DVC vs the future of discounts?

Phonedave

Discounts are cyclical. They come and go as the economy moves. Your DVC "rate" is locked in.

Sometimes you will be sitting there saying "I wish I was a cash customer, they are getting such great discounts" other times you will be smug in your satisfaction of having bought into the DVC,

This is why they tell you that DVC makes sense if you plan to vacation year after year. It is sort of like dollar cost averaging in investing. Over the long haul, you tend to come out ahead with DVC.

Renting DVC points can be dicey as well. The rental costs are what the market will bear. If cash room rates go up and discounts are scarce, then rental rates on DVC points are going to go up too (or the rental points will become scarce)

-dave

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
We go at least twice a year. That will continue until DS is older. (He's 2 right now.) When he starts middle school, we are going to do other things, but at least take one trip a year to the World. I really think DVC is a good thing for us. We prefer deluxes so that makes it even better I suppose.

Thanks for being a sounding board. LOL.

Pioneer Hall

Like Dave said, discounts will come and go but the price I paid for my DVC will continue to be fairly constant (dues will increase, but so will room prices). Sometimes is stinks to see a great offer out there for a room, but there is nothing stopping me from taking advantage of it if I think it is good and either banking or renting my points out. For me, DVC has provided me a very nice savings since I got it last year and will continue to do so until the contract is up. I would hope that in the next 45 or so years that I have my contract the economy will improve at some point (wishful thinking? :ROFLOL:) and when that happens discounts won't be what they have been recently. However, my price on my room will be locked in and I will be saving even more. It doesn't work for everyone, but for me it has been good.

PineapplePrincess

We just took the plunge and bought an OKW resale through The Timeshare Store.
We haven't closed yet, but we have made it through ROFR. The process has been painless thus far.
It made sense for us because we go at least once per year, and we prefer Deluxes as well.
It might benefit you to look into the resale market.

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
We just took the plunge and bought an OKW resale through The Timeshare Store.
We haven't closed yet, but we have made it through ROFR. The process has been painless thus far.
It made sense for us because we go at least once per year, and we prefer Deluxes as well.
It might benefit you to look into the resale market.

That's what we are looking into right now. I don't think we're going to buy OKW. We are thinking Bay Lake. There are quite a few listings for it. Maybe when we are ready to buy in a year there will be more listings at lower prices.

bgraham34

I enjoy staying at OKW and the low points enables me to stay an extra day on our trips. Wherever you choose to purchase just make sure it is your favorite resort.

tjkraz

If you're comparing apples-to-apples, I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm sure there are many people who stay at Value resorts on "free dining" and pay less than even DVC members. But I've never seen an incentive for a deluxe resort which comes close to the prices paid by DVC owners over the long haul.

Meeko's Mom

We joined DVC in June 2006 and it has been the best decision we have made!! We have used it 8 times since buying into it and it has paid for itself already. Also when my kids have their own families they will be able to enjoy it as well. Our home is at Saratoga Springs and we have our contract unitl 2054. There are still many vacations ahead whether it's Disney or elsewhere that we can use our DVC at. I say go for it!!!:)

dizzney

We bought in '99 at BWV and did two add-ons there before we added BLT, it has paid for itself over and over, best decision we ever made,

Good luck!

Coach81

We bought in back in 2007, it has proven to be the best investment we have ever made on our family...

Good luck with you decision..

MagicKat103

My husband works in Finance and when it came down to buying into DVC he all but came home with a pie graph as to it being worth it or not worth it. For us, it was completely worth it, and will always be completely worth it. We LOVE disney. I am fairly certain that we have brainwashed our two daughters to love it as much as we do, but in the event that they don't want to go to Disney when they get older, that's no problem, because we still will. Plus it will be great to go with our grandchildren. We get discounts on annual passes with DVC, plus we like the Delux resorts, and that's where the villas are.

disneyeater

Um, actually, the amount of the "yearly fee" depends on what resort you own and how many points. And comparing DVC resorts to a value hotel isn't a fair comparison... it's apples and oranges.

I have to agree with this. To get closer to an apples to apples calculation, you would have to at least estimate the points for a week in a studio which in adventure season would be 76 at Old Key West. At a rough $5 per point that is less than $400 in maintenance fees.

And that doesn't include the fact that for that many points you are staying in Old Key West, or Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Boardwalk Villas, all of which I would prefer to value resorts.

Not saying that DVC works for everyone, but you need to take a closer look at what you are talking about before you say that maintenence fees are higher than a week at a value resort.

Phonedave

I have to agree with this. To get closer to an apples to apples calculation, you would have to at least estimate the points for a week in a studio which in adventure season would be 76 at Old Key West. At a rough $5 per point that is less than $400 in maintenance fees.

And that doesn't include the fact that for that many points you are staying in Old Key West, or Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Boardwalk Villas, all of which I would prefer to value resorts.

Not saying that DVC works for everyone, but you need to take a closer look at what you are talking about before you say that maintenence fees are higher than a week at a value resort.

But they are, and that is part of what you have to look at.

If you stay in values, like values, and have no desire to ever stay in anything but a value, then the DVC is not for you. You will be in a deluxe room, and not enjoying it because even though it is a bargin, it is still more than a value.

On the other hand, if you like deluxe, or always wanted to stay in deluxe, then yes, the DVC is a good deal.

My points cost me +/- $830 a year ($83 a month for 10 months)

For that I can get a studio in a deluxe for about 10 nights, or I can get a 1BR for just about a week, give or take a few points.

-dave

disneyeater

But they are, and that is part of what you have to look at.

I agree with the rest of what you said, but just showed you that the maintenence fees are not higher than a week at a value resort.

January points to stay at OKW (or BWV or AKV) = 76.
Maintenance fees at approx. $5/point x points = $380

Price to stay in a Disney value resort for 1 week in January = $721

However when you consider the purchase price and time value of money, yes one would probably be better off in a value resort if that is what they wanted to do.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
B
For that I can get a studio in a deluxe for about 10 nights, or I can get a 1BR for just about a week, give or take a few points.

-dave

I have enough points to do ~8/9 nights IIRC in December at AKLKV bleeding out of the low point timeframe. My annual dues are about $450 annually. For the same studio it would be $370 a night before CM discount. Your statement perplexes me unless I have misread it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom