September Myth or Fact

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Ok I have heard that September is a great time to go to WDW b/c it is the slowest time of the year there. I have booked a trip for 22-25 with my wife as an anniversary trip. We are hoping to have a good time not having to swim through crowds to enjoy ourselves. I have noticed that everyone else on this forum seems to have booked trips in Sept also. So was I misled or are we all being smart by booking then?

draybook

We've only been once in Sept, in 08, but it's what we measure our other trips by. We're going back this Sept and we can't wait. Almost every ride is between a walk on and 10 minutes. The big ones we use Fastpasses on and still ride a ton of times.

Upvote 0

ml123_9

We went in Sept. 09 and you could practically walk on all the rides. The longest lines we encountered were Peter Pan and Test Track. Although we didn't do Soarin nor TSMM. Plus the weather is pretty good too. Not too hot but definately not cold.

Upvote 0

Rob562

So many people on here go then because they know it's (generally) uncrowded and there are special offers. This forum is also not a good cross-section of the general population. The general American tourist population is pretty predictable in going to WDW when U.S. schools are not in session, making summer vacation, Christmas Week and spring breaks the most-crowded times of the year.

In September, restaurants will be full and ADRs will be hard to come by because of Free Dining.

Hotels (especially the Values and Moderates) will be full because of Free Dining and other promotions, but because on-property rooms are only a small percentage of all hotel rooms in the Disney area, it doesn't translate to the parks being full.

I've been in September in '08 and '09, and apart from the summer heat still lingering around, it was a great time to go.

-Rob

Upvote 0

menutia

I'd have to agree...

I've been at WDW the past 3 years in September. I've met up with friends from across the country and we usually pick the 2nd or 3rd week leaving right before the Food and Wine Fest kicks off. Those F&W booths usually open a few days early to do a "test run" so I've been able to participate in that as well, and not be there with the increased guest load.

In the past few years, the weather was fine (sans hurricanes - we had one nearby in 2008) but the temps are perfect not too hot not too cold. Wet... can be an issue. Afternoon rain is cooling and helps to keep the locals away!

I've only been able to go because of the tremendous offers Disney has made for rooms and meals. Each year it gets a little more crowded as more people discover these benefits and it seems that the benefits are getting fewer and fewer. I did note last year that the foreign customer base was much higher than any previous visit. (Based on the locations picked by those riding Spaceship Earth, Disney must have marketed heavily in places like Brazil & Chile.)

The best part of going this time of year is that most attractions are still operating at full capacity and there are few attractions in a "Seasonal" or renovation mode. Extra Magic hours and the Not So Scary Halloween are usually EMPTY and walk on's are almost always available.

Go and have fun.. (just make sure you leave a few rooms for my group!)

Upvote 0

kdjf4

I have been to WDW in September 5 times(different years). It is not as crowded as the summer, weather is usually warm enough to enjoy the water parks if you have time. The deals are great and if you go the last two weeks in September you may attend MNSSHP if you plan ahead. You will run into some crowds, usually of students from abroad, and others who are there for the great deals. But I think it is the best time of the year to visit.

Upvote 0

BeanSz

We have been several times in Sept. Great time for us to take young children. Early in the week we almost always walk onto things and the crowds pick up as you get closer to the weekend. Disney use to advertise as best time to bring your pre-schooler to WDW. I believe this true. We are headed there again Sept 23 to Oct. 1. Counting down the days. One year, they offered an early opening of Fantasyland for families with kids under 5. It was awesome. All the characters were out, and crowds were very light. My son played for 20 minutes with Tigger and Piglet, Duck-Duck-Goose with Mickey -- then Goofey came and sat that horse next to him on the Carrousel. It was very cool for all of us and almost no one was there -- felt like we just won some sweepstakes or something. I don't think they offer this any more. I heard the same thing about early December. Last time we went the first week of December --- did not like as much. Parks were a bit more crowded (but still light), weather was colder and more up and down, we love the MNSSHP over the MVMCP. Weather is September is awesome. Always relatively warm (but do plan a light jacket in case). Many times very HOT and Humid still especially if early in September. We are back to September this year. Kids start school will go for about 2 or 3 weeks, then we are pulling them out for our trip.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Based on the Touring Plan numbers September is an AWESOME month to go...my week the numbers are 1's and 2's out of 10's - can't wait!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Based on the Touring Plan numbers September is an AWESOME month to go...my week the numbers are 1's and 2's out of 10's - can't wait!

Wow I wish I can make another trip this year. It is great when the crowds are that low. You can really relax and enjoy the rides a lot more.

Upvote 0
The free dining attracts so many people! DH and I went in Sept. 09 and we stayed at Pop Century. The buses were always packed and dining was very difficult. On the positive side, I have to agree that the weather is gorgeous and the wait time for rides was very low. We practically walked on to every attraction. I would reccomend having dinner early in order to get reservations and using your snacks for later in the day. I sure do wish we were going this September!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Wow I wish I can make another trip this year. It is great when the crowds are that low. You can really relax and enjoy the rides a lot more.

I totally agree although I've never experienced it! lol I usually go Thanksgiving week so everything is packed and you are waiting 1-2 hours to get on most attractions...THIS is going to be a treat I'm sure! :lol:

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

We usually go in mid May which works really well with both crowds and weather. Last year we went the first week of Sept and thought we were both goinng to die from the heat. I don't think it was out of the ordinary hot last year and it really didn't cool off much at night. We found it very hard to deal with compaired to May. Now we also would never think about going in mid summer because of the heat. We spend most all day at the parks and the temp is a big factor for us because neither of us deal with it very well. But I will say the Sept crowds aren't bad. Just the two cents of a guy who usually sweats thru two shirts a day during the summer.

Upvote 0

Korfar

We have been twice in September. I think it depends on what part of September you go. Labor day weekend is packed. The last week of September starts to get busier since the Halloween party is going on. Still not nearly as bad as summer crowds though. I think you will be pleased with your dates. I think the longest lines we had last year were at Peter Pan and Toy Story. Other than those 2 all other rides were 30 minutes max and you really didn't wait that long. In the morning you can walk on anything you want.

Upvote 0

draybook

We usually go in mid May which works really well with both crowds and weather. Last year we went the first week of Sept and thought we were both goinng to die from the heat. I don't think it was out of the ordinary hot last year and it really didn't cool off much at night. We found it very hard to deal with compaired to May. Now we also would never think about going in mid summer because of the heat. We spend most all day at the parks and the temp is a big factor for us because neither of us deal with it very well. But I will say the Sept crowds aren't bad. Just the two cents of a guy who usually sweats thru two shirts a day during the summer.

I have the same problem. I sweat easy and September is ROUGH on me down there. It's worth it though to us to be able to pretty much walk on a ride.

Upvote 0

MMCoffman

Great Month

We were there last September Labor Day weekend and the following week. We walked right on rides, lines were non existent. It was warm, we enjoyed the pool at the hottest part of the day. Dining reservations were a must though, we had the free dining plan.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Went in Sept 07 .. it was hot hot hot, and I'm used to the heat. Lines were pretty good. As long as you're okay with the weather I think you'll enjoy yourselves. Pack the water bottles!

Upvote 0

Wchutch

I have to say September is a great time to go. The summer heat is still there, however, crowds are not to bad. Been to WDW almost all of our trips during August and September. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom