Sentinel writes article on broken yeti!

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
The Sentinel finally covered the topic of the broken yeti!

There's not necessarily new info in it, but at least it's on record now, and Disney commented. As I said in another thread, hopefully some exec is drinking his coffee reading this article this morning.

I'm just glad someone other than a fan site has acknowledged the issue now. Here's to hoping it helps.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/07/disney-fans-dismayed-with-disco-yeti/

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't see how that's false advertising at all. They don't show you the Yeti moving and say "this is what to expect". :shrug:
Monty,
I guess you could consider it false if they have covered the yeti and it is nowhere in site. My sister got back a few weeks ago and said she couldnt even see him.

It wasnt even in Disco mode. :D

I understand the frustration. I see the Discovery channel special and they have shown the yeti in A-mode since that special aired years ago. I would say that is false advertising. I just hate for people that dont know the real story.

wizards8507

That's not false advertising. It's a Discovery Channel special. It's not false advertising unless the goal is deception, i.e. if Disney said "Come see the Yeti swipe at your car blah blah." It wouldn't even be false advertising if the DID say that but believed in good faith that the yeti would be working again.

Fizbain32

The article mentions some people feel it has not been fixed due to the number of people it can eat up. 2k/hr. Is there a boycott the yeti group yet? If no-one rides it they would have plenty of time to fix it :) But, then i guess the argument would be, why fix it if no one is riding it. sigh

stlbobby

As I often think there is too much nit-picking and unwarranted criticism of WDW, I think their reaction to issues like this just feeds the problem. Rather than come clean and talk openly with the fans about what went wrong and when or if it will be fixed They just play games giving silly non-answers, which only exacerbates the problem and leads to more speculation.

I understand not making a statement before, then they would be admitting to the general public what had been relegated to hardcore enthusiasts, but once they know the paper is writing the article they should have used the opportunity to clear up some questions and answer some questions.

harveyt0206

As I often think there is too much nit-picking and unwarranted criticism of WDW, I think their reaction to issues like this just feeds the problem. Rather than come clean and talk openly with the fans about what went wrong and when or if it will be fixed They just play games giving silly non-answers, which only exacerbates the problem and leads to more speculation.

I understand not making a statement before, then they would be admitting to the general public what had been relegated to hardcore enthusiasts, but once they know the paper is writing the article they should have used the opportunity to clear up some questions and answer some questions.

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. Some insight into whether or not disco yeti is permanent might help calm some of the negativity expressed by some fans. I think it is the "hope" that it will ever be restored to it's former A mode glory that keeps everyone so up in arms about this issue. Instead of simply saying " we do not have a solution for this particular problem", the hope that it may someday leave disco yeti mode is still encouraged.

mtomkins

Exactly. The last time I was at Disney was when they were building everest. I can remember being so excited to come back and ride. This trip (7 days!!) will be my first time back since then and I am so disappointed it's not going to be the experience I've heard people talk so fondly of. My brother went and may and said he had a blast on the ride itself but that indeed the Yeti was disappointing.

Technically on a legal basis its not false advertisement .. However they don't seem to be honest about the fact that it's perpetually broken. Poor animal kingdom needs help and has such great potential and then they let the e-ticket ride that brings so much attention go without it's signature animatronic working properly. Hopefully this article will be a bit of a wake up for them. ::crosses fingers::

djkidkaz

Well heres hoping that this article atleast gets them discussing a possible rehab. Maybe it'll be like a secondary gift to us for the 40th?? :D If they do one thing at AK for the 40th celebration, just make it this.

blm07

As I said in another thread, hopefully some exec is drinking his coffee reading this article this morning.

And then puts down the drink, stands up and says "That's it! Let's remove some of the theming in the gift shop and sell a Disco Yeti with accessories like an afro and light up floor!"

Well heres hoping that this article atleast gets them discussing a possible rehab. Maybe it'll be like a secondary gift to us for the 40th?? If they do one thing at AK for the 40th celebration, just make it this.

If by secondary gift, you mean gift shop, then sure, they are all for it!

pax_65

If you read that article today, knowing nothing about the Yeti or anything, wouldn't you still scratch your head and say "If the thing is broken, why would it take Disney 2 years to fix it?"

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
That's not false advertising. It's a Discovery Channel special. It's not false advertising unless the goal is deception, i.e. if Disney said "Come see the Yeti swipe at your car blah blah." It wouldn't even be false advertising if the DID say that but believed in good faith that the yeti would be working again.
Ok, Ill give you the not false advertising. I agree... but it is misleading.

Example: you see an advertisement for the Toy Story movie at your local theater. They show the crowd wearing 3D glasses. You go to the movie and think it is in 3D since they showed that on the TV ad. Same principle here. The yeti in A-mode is being shown, the visitor assumes it would have been in A-mode sometime in the last 3 years.

Does it ruin the movie/Everest. No. But you had your hopes up for something that wasn't there.

Lee

Adventurer
I would encourge everyone to post a comment on the article's web page. It would seem to make sense that the more supportive comments we get over there, the more TDO might be inclined to take notice.:wave:

pax_65

Doesn't the "Top Things to do in Disneyworld" video also show the Yeti swatting at the train?

I know it used to... my son became tall enough to ride EE in the past two years. I told him how cool it was when the Yeti swats at the train. We rode the ride together and he was like, "Where is the Yeti?" to which I replied, "I don't know, I didn't see him either!" Then we watched the "Top Things To Do" and said, "Oh, is that what it's supposed to be like?"

When I learned all the details about the Yeti I was annoyed but I figured Disney would have it fixed ASAP. I am still waiting. And two years later, my son has yet to see the Yeti and has yet to ride the ride in the way in which it was designed.

Hopefully this article gets things moving.

SOLISIMO

Did anyone notice in the first video when the shadow of the yeti is being projected, right at the end a "windows computer screen" opens on the rocks kinda like when you right click on your computer:ROFLOL:wow!

ERich2010

Did anyone notice in the first video when the shadow of the yeti is being projected, right at the end a "windows computer screen" opens on the rocks kinda like when you right click on your computer:ROFLOL:wow!

haha thats happened to me before too. that bugged me a lot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom