Selling Disney photos...sort of...

JS514

Original Poster
Okay, so I feel like I know the answer to this, but couldn’t find anything really online that helped too much.

As a hobby, I take photos at Disney. I do have a small Disney blog (along with 1893927192 other people) that I really just started for my friends and family to keep up with our Disney outings and such, and I of course use the photos there.

However, for Christmas this past year, several indicated they’d like calendars with some of my photos in there. So, that’s what I did.

Over the course of the past few months, some of their friends and such have seen them and asked for one as well. I had them made in bulk (20) and had some left over and gave the rest away just last month.

A few people just slipped me some cash for my troubles, which was nice.

Now to my real question, it’s not legal for me sell calendars with my own personal photos say...on my website or whatever...right? I posted a few pictures of my personal one on my site and some people messaged me asking me for some and wanted to know how much, but....I don’t want to get in deep doodoo with Disney if they ever were to find out somehow (I’m not some famous blogger so I doubt they ever would. Just want to do things right.)

Anyways, I wasn’t really sure who or where to call to find out for sure, so I figured I’d come here first.

I see things like the WDW Magazine as well as other popular unofficial Disney sites selling things with Disney photos. I just wasn’t sure if there were like a way to gain compliance with disney to do that or what. Just needed a little direction.

Thank you!

thomas998

Technically Disney could sue you if you started making money off photos you took of their parks.... but unless you decide to start selling thousands of calendars it isn't something I would ever worry about.

BoarderPhreak

Welcome to the club. 😉

Disney won't like you making a profit off of their IP... But as @thomas998 points out, unless you're making enough money to catch their attention, you're probably safe selling some prints here and there.

Elfinko

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe they'll just issue a DMCA notice, which is basically them demanding you remove the material. I don't believe they start suing right off the bat. Try to avoid Disney keywords on the page and images or they'll find ya. They are rabid copyright protectors.

thomas998

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe they'll just issue a DMCA notice, which is basically them demanding you remove the material. I don't believe they start suing right off the bat. Try to avoid Disney keywords on the page and images or they'll find ya. They are rabid copyright protectors.
The DMCA takedown notice would be what they would send if you had material on your website that was protected, if you were making actual calendars and selling them they would send you a cease and desist letter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom