Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

note2001

Will anyone be banned for using their Selfie sticks in general, in a Disney park? I can't see it happening.

Will anyone be banned from using them on rides (repeatedly)? Yes. Can't wait for the first report.

Will they be banned for taking an attitude with Security when told not to use their sticks? Oh yeah. You don't mess with the mouse. It doesn't matter how big that stick you carry is, speak softly and politely. :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But there's a distinction there. Someone waving something around and accidentally striking someone is different than causing an automobile accident. If you inadvertently run into someone in a hallway and knock them down causing an injury should I arrest you? I am not defending selfie stick users. Just pointing out why she was not hauled in front of a judge. ;) In a perfect world they would shove the stick where the sun doesn't shine.
To me it is the waving a stick around part. If you inadvertently run into someone in the hallway, you will probably not seriously injure them, and you are not considered a weapon. A stick can be a weapon, so needs to be treated differently. If cops started arresting all of the idiots that do wave these around and hit someone, you can bet that usage would go way down, or at least people "might" be a smidge more careful with them. Of course, the narcissistic idiots that think these are a good idea probably don't care about anyone but themselves anyway.

ABQ

<Sarcasm> I'm planning to push around my baby Bengal kitten in a stroller with a selfie stick mounted to it. Running everyone up the calf with the stroller, smacking them in the back of the head with the stick and if they give me lip, the kitten will scratch them. </Sarcasm>

Nemo14

while enjoying their selfie toast:

Selfie-Toaster.jpg

dstrawn9889

Agreed, however it only takes a few bad people to ruin it for everybody. The inevitable few who will think they are "beating the system" by bringing a mono/tripod and using it as a selfie stick will cause concern.

If its of any consolation however, the only things I am hearing in regards to a change in policy regarding tri/mono pods is where they can be used during parades/fireworks.
most monopods do not have an adjustable joint on top, so they cannot be used as a 'selfie stick' no way to position the camera properly... this is the one i have
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunpak-...lack/1802024.p?id=1219064873958&skuId=1802024

NowInc

most monopods do not have an adjustable joint on top, so they cannot be used as a 'selfie stick' no way to position the camera properly... this is the one i have
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunpak-...lack/1802024.p?id=1219064873958&skuId=1802024

By default, most monopods do not have adjustable heads that can be used, correct. However they are easily removed and replaced (in fact there are a lot of cell phone adapters to attach to the mounting screw of a standard tri/monopod). Extreme measures? Yes. Unheard of? Never.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Have you ever tried to get help from a CM in general, never mind security. They're never where you need them to be. The only backup you have if assaulted in any manner is the video surveillance, and hopefully some other guests who don't mind taking a few moments out of their vacation to help.

I wiped out last summer on the ramp descending from the train platform (my poor choice of footwear, it was all on me)... everyone walked around me as I was unable to straighten up and be on with it.

Not a single person getting off the train stopped to see if you were okay and needed help?! Geez, have we become that self absorbed, entitled and uncaring towards another that we wouldn't check to make sure you were okay?

I was on a Disney bus going to MK for dinner one evening. Just before we pulled into the bus depot, the boy standing across from us passed out - eyes rolling into his head and everything. Fortunately, his father caught him before he fell face first onto the bus floor. And that kid was out cold. Those of us around the family (the kid looked about 9-10) jumped up and ran over (as much as you can "run over" to someone on a crowded Disney bus) to offer help and assistance to the parents. The people in the seats where the family was standing jumped up so the father could lay his son out on the seat, I jumped up and told the bus driver he needed to radio for an EMT and stop the bus as soon as he could since a passenger had a medical emergency. Folks towards the back of the bus were curious but couldn't do anything because the bus was crowded. And they all followed the driver's attention when told to exit by the other door. The family spoke Spanish and very little English so my daughter's BF (who is bilingual) acted as interpreter between them, the driver and the CM (not sure if he was a paramedic or a senior CM at the park, but he was waiting when the bus was finally able to stop). I jumped off the bus, told the guy what had happened and he took over. The other couples who offered assistance and comfort got off too and we all keep saying "I hope the boy is okay. His poor family. Isn't if fortunate that your daughter's BF also speaks Spanish." Then my daughter told me the poor boy had relieved himself and I was standing it while talking to the bus driver and waiting for him to stop the bus. I spent the first hour at the MK thinking about the kid and hoping he was okay - his parents looked very scared. And finding a puddle to walk through to rinse off my shoes. It was nice to see that several couples (mostly grandparents age) besides the three of us were right there to offer help and comfort.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I keep hoping that there will be a post on this thread saying "Disney bans selfie sticks and iPads. Anyone caught filming or photographing with a selfie stick or using an iPad to film parades/fireworks or general annoying other guests photography will have said device(s) confiscated. You can pick up your electronic device at Will Call when you leave the park. Oh, and we put a BIG note on your record so that when you touch your ticket card/MB to the turnstile, a CM will stop you and re-search your bags, since you've been tagged as an electronic device offender. Have a Magical Day!"

:D

My wish has partially come true. :D

Foolish Mortal

We just had a small marathon in Louisville and one of the bike team EMT's (my sister's partner) got smacked in the face by one of these things as they were riding through the crowd. He got hit hard. The little twit that hit him laughed and said "My phone better not be broke!" and "Well, you got bandaids don't ya?" and tried walking away before the police that were handling the event and riding along side the EMT's grabbed her. She didn't get arrested, but they ripped her a new one and told her that she needs to keep the "potential weapon" stowed in large crowds. She walked away still giggling. THIS is the attitude we have to contend with and it is exactly why Disney will never be able to cease the use of these things at their parks. The people are entitled.

not to hijack the thread but since you mention Louisville, have you heard anything if Churchill is going to ban them on Oaks and Derby day ? nothing on their site......yet.

LAKid53

Premium Member
not to hijack the thread but since you mention Louisville, have you heard anything if Churchill is going to ban them on Oaks and Derby day ? nothing on there site......yet.

Can you imagine selfie sticks at Churchill Downs on Derby Day?! Doesn't fit with strawberries & cream, mint juleps and large hats. And that's the LAST thing any owner & trainer would want around their $1M+ skittish 3 year old colt. But a well placed rear kick would solve that problem. ;)

Foolish Mortal

Can you imagine selfie sticks at Churchill Downs on Derby Day?! Doesn't fit with strawberries & cream, mint juleps and large hats. And that's the LAST thing any owner & trainer would want around their $1M+ skittish 3 year old colt. But a well placed rear kick would solve that problem. ;)

I don't mind walking around with 125 to 150000 new friends but when some stop to whip these things out in congested areas it's going to be a nightmare. the paddock area is already a shoulder to shoulder mess.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't mind walking around with 125 to 150000 new friends but when some stop to whip these things out in congested areas it's going to be a nightmare. the paddock area is already a shoulder to shoulder mess.

Which is why I think the next ban we read about will be at the major race tracks, especially those which are part of the Triple Crown. The last think you want is some dolt pushing his stick out to get a picture of the horses as they enter the paddock area. I'm hoping for video of one of the colts landing a well placed kick.... :)

NowInc

For those who are curious, the recent "developments" (in regards to enforcement on their usage on rides) are also being done in Disneyland as well. In fact, some CMs are telling guests about not using the sticks because its a "new policy being carried over from Disney World"

G00fyDad

not to hijack the thread but since you mention Louisville, have you heard anything if Churchill is going to ban them on Oaks and Derby day ? nothing on their site......yet.

No. I have several friends on that police department and none have mentioned a ban on the sticks yet. However, you need to remember that Craig Duchossios wants every dollar that he can get and he would risk the lawsuit to keep the "snobs" happy in the grandstands. As for the infield... well that is pretty much the Wild West on that Friday and Saturday. LOL Selfie sticks will be the least of their worries.

G00fyDad

Which is why I think the next ban we read about will be at the major race tracks, especially those which are part of the Triple Crown. The last think you want is some dolt pushing his stick out to get a picture of the horses as they enter the paddock area. I'm hoping for video of one of the colts landing a well placed kick.... :)

I think that if someone is stupid enough to use these near the horses to get the "better" shot then they deserve a good kick in the face. But I don't see Churchill banning these. Ever.

note2001

Not a single person getting off the train stopped to see if you were okay and needed help?! Geez, have we become that self absorbed, entitled and uncaring towards another that we wouldn't check to make sure you were okay?

I was on a Disney bus going to MK for dinner one evening. Just before we pulled into the bus depot, the boy standing across from us passed out - eyes rolling into his head and everything. Fortunately, his father caught him before he fell face first onto the bus floor. And that kid was out cold. Those of us around the family (the kid looked about 9-10) jumped up and ran over (as much as you can "run over" to someone on a crowded Disney bus) to offer help and assistance to the parents. The people in the seats where the family was standing jumped up so the father could lay his son out on the seat, I jumped up and told the bus driver he needed to radio for an EMT and stop the bus as soon as he could since a passenger had a medical emergency. Folks towards the back of the bus were curious but couldn't do anything because the bus was crowded. And they all followed the driver's attention when told to exit by the other door. The family spoke Spanish and very little English so my daughter's BF (who is bilingual) acted as interpreter between them, the driver and the CM (not sure if he was a paramedic or a senior CM at the park, but he was waiting when the bus was finally able to stop). I jumped off the bus, told the guy what had happened and he took over. The other couples who offered assistance and comfort got off too and we all keep saying "I hope the boy is okay. His poor family. Isn't if fortunate that your daughter's BF also speaks Spanish." Then my daughter told me the poor boy had relieved himself and I was standing it while talking to the bus driver and waiting for him to stop the bus. I spent the first hour at the MK thinking about the kid and hoping he was okay - his parents looked very scared. And finding a puddle to walk through to rinse off my shoes. It was nice to see that several couples (mostly grandparents age) besides the three of us were right there to offer help and comfort.

That was wonderful of your family and all the others to help out as needed. And talk about being in the right place at the right time for the BF!

In my case I was embarrassed, and have the tendency to shy away from people. Perhaps folk sensed that? My only comment is: Disney, you desperately need more benches.

Back to folk being injured by swinging selfie sticks... unless it happens to a cast member themselves, a child, or a very vocal person, Disney will not even know about it or care. To this day I have not seen one of these sticks in person. They look rather lightweight, but I suppose even a feather can damage an eye. Hopefully no one has to find out how bad they can injure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom