Seeking Basic Maintenance Advice

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I'm taking my wife's 2016 Honda Accord to Mr. Tire for an oil change tomorrow at 10AM
It has 72,211 miles on it.
When I look on the internet for maintenance schedule stuff, the thing that pops out at me is at 60,000 I should have done a Transmission Fluids Flush but I didn't.
I should really authorize that tomorrow morning...yes?
Please comment on that and pass along any other wisdom as you feel led to do so.
Thanks!
Steve
Attention @Lilofan
Edit/Addition: I've come back to my OP to say I just checked that car's Maintenance History.
The last time it had a Transmission Service was at 37,070 miles.
It's due.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I am told my wife's car needs back brakes ..rotars and pads. Rotars $350 ...pads a different price...I am not saying yes for now...I will get the quote in writing and then shop around. Any comments from any readers of this thread?? I don't FEEL any problem or hear any problem with her brakes so I think I have time to shop around.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I am told my wife's car needs back brakes ..rotars and pads. Rotars $350 ...pads a different price...I am not saying yes for now...I will get the quote in writing and then shop around. Any comments from any readers of this thread?? I don't FEEL any problem or hear any problem with her brakes so I think I have time to shop around.
I got a 2nd opinion on the brakes situation at Pep Boys. They brought me into the bay and showed me the situation so I'd be convinced. I was treated well and their price was a tad less than Mr. Tire therefore Pep Boys is working on the brakes now as I'm composing this post.

Lilofan

I got a 2nd opinion on the brakes situation at Pep Boys. They brought me into the bay and showed me the situation so I'd be convinced. I was treated well and their price was a tad less than Mr. Tire therefore Pep Boys is working on the brakes now as I'm composing this post.
If you get trans flush I’d ask if they are using Honda OEM fluid or equivalent. Fluid changes I’d stick to having dealer handle , oil change and brakes any shop can do but I’d still go to dealer because of OEM oil and brakes pad rotors Honda OEM. Aftermarket stuff like Pep Boys and Mr Tire don’t know what quality stuff you are getting. I’ve known some that went to non dealers and regret because brakes had issues , etc. I feel more comfort w/ Honda dealers but it is pricier. Non dealers will at times try to sell you what they say are better brakes than what the dealer will sell you.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you get trans flush I’d ask if they are using Honda OEM fluid or equivalent. Fluid changes I’d stick to having dealer handle , oil change and brakes any shop can do but I’d still go to dealer because of OEM oil and brakes pad rotors Honda OEM. Aftermarket stuff like Pep Boys and Mr Tire don’t know what quality stuff you are getting. I’ve known some that went to non dealers and regret because brakes had issues , etc. I feel more comfort w/ Honda dealers but it is pricier. Non dealers will at times try to sell you what they say are better brakes than what the dealer will sell you.
Your reply came hours after my car was already finished being serviced, so your advice will help me down the road and hopefully also help others who read this thread.
Enjoy the remainder of the weekend my friend ;)

DW Aficionado

First of all, don't go to Mr Tire or Pepboys. Mechanics that can't get a job at a dealership go there to work. Cars are so unique now, that no general shop can understand each make and model. Don't get hung up on mileage, at 8 years most fluids should be changed. Rotors on cars usually don't get cut anymore, best to just get new ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom