security

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
just curious...since security anxieties have seemingly calmed down (at least in my little part of the world they have seemed to calm down) is Disney Security still checking bags and such before people enter the parks? i'm sure they are, but i just thought i would check and see. if they are, does anyone see an end to that anytime soon? i don't have a problem with it or anything (other than finding it a tad bit ridiculous) but i'm just wondering if they'll keep it up forever.

bvolguards

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
just curious...since security anxieties have seemingly calmed down (at least in my little part of the world they have seemed to calm down) is Disney Security still checking bags and such before people enter the parks? i'm sure they are, but i just thought i would check and see. if they are, does anyone see an end to that anytime soon? i don't have a problem with it or anything (other than finding it a tad bit ridiculous) but i'm just wondering if they'll keep it up forever.

As of last week they still are

The_CEO

I dont see it ending anytime soon.. I dont see it endding untill Ossama is dead... But if you think about it.. Ossama has like 15 children.. So... I dont think thisis going to ever end :(..:fork:

Erika

Originally posted by the_ceo_at_wdw
I dont see it ending anytime soon.. I dont see it endding untill Ossama is dead... But if you think about it.. Ossama has like 15 children.. So... I dont think thisis going to ever end :(..:fork:

Don't forget there are thousands of Ossamas out there. :rolleyes: Just one of the reasons I decided to sponsor in Pakistan...

I personally am glad they are checking bags. What better symbol of America is there than Disney World? That to me makes it seem vulnerable. Checking bags is a small, easy measure that makes people feel a little bit safer. :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
The thing is, checking bags won't do much of anything if someone wanted to get a weapon into the parks. And you could do plenty of damage in one of the resorts, nevermind a park.

dalton30720

I'm afraid the heightened security will be with us for a long time. As Erika stated, "there are thousands of Ossamas out there". This thing is far from over.
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Disney decides to do more than just search bags, maybe walk-thru metal detectors, etc. Only time will tell....

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by Thrawn
The thing is, checking bags won't do much of anything if someone wanted to get a weapon into the parks. And you could do plenty of damage in one of the resorts, nevermind a park.

i'm very glad you said that, thrawn! and that's my point exactly...the parks aren't the only place in WDW with a lot of people...as thrawn said the resorts are vulnerable...there's absolutely no way disney can monitor EVERYTHING that people take into their rooms.
also, think about other places with no security checks...the monorail, the buses, downtown disney.
i remember when all this started, someone mentioned how the safe feeling at Disney World, and also in America, was just an illusion....well tell me how is it less of an illusion now? sure the sercurity checks may make a person feel safe in the parks...but think about it. if someone REALLY wanted to do something, they could. they could hide something in their shoe, underneath their clothes. you have to remember, these guys know what they're doing. look at the 9-11 attacks....they learned how to fly airplanes, the knew how to get past security, and they planned out which flights to get on.
my thoughts is that Disney should take out the security checks all together...sure, they may help some, but these terrorists are smarter than that. but i say they should beef up security in the parks....not a whole lot, just some. a little more security in the parks couldn't hurt. but honestly, America can't keep her tail tucked under her forever. we've never lived in a bubble and we never will, but fearing what's going to happen to us in the outside world won't get us anywhere. and really, we shouldn't have to worry. as much as we'd like to think it is, our life is not in our hands....when our time comes, it comes, and no amount of security is going to keep it from happening.
sorry for stepping up on my soap box, but i just had to get those thoughts out

Erika

No, but as I said, it makes plenty of people feel safe. And that, to me, is important. Remember after Sept 11 how many people refused to get on a plane, enter a high-rise, or even go to the mall? We can't live like that. If checking bags makes people feel safer on their vacations to the happiest place on Earth, I say, check away.

NowInc

Originally posted by Erika

No, but as I said, it makes plenty of people feel safe. And that, to me, is important. Remember after Sept 11 how many people refused to get on a plane, enter a high-rise, or even go to the mall? We can't live like that. If checking bags makes people feel safer on their vacations to the happiest place on Earth, I say, check away.

I live in a high rise located between 2 major airports..now half my building is empty because people were scared from 9/11...the "safe feeling" is important..even tho you are never truely "Safe"

Mr.Nutz

We always take sandwiches/snacks/drinks into the parks with us to avoid eating Disney food twice a day (for reasons of repetitiveness and cost). I know you're not supposed to do that, but we always ate them in a quiet place and it was never a problem. We used to eat our own stuff for lunch and then buy food in the evening.

Will taking food in be a problem now with the bag checking?

gjpjtj

I wonder if they have ever found anything during these baggage checks, and if so what do they do with those people. Just not admit them to the park? or Are the authorities involved?:confused:

orlandoparks

Originally posted by NowInc

I live in a high rise located between 2 major airports..now half my building is empty because people were scared from 9/11...the "safe feeling" is important..even tho you are never truely "Safe"

True, you are never REALLY safe. So people can worry all that they want, but what good will it do them.

Passport

Originally posted by Mr.Nutz
We always take sandwiches/snacks/drinks into the parks with us to avoid eating Disney food twice a day (for reasons of repetitiveness and cost). I know you're not supposed to do that, but we always ate them in a quiet place and it was never a problem. We used to eat our own stuff for lunch and then buy food in the evening.

I take food in all of the time. Never a problem.

Baron87

Not to be the bad news bear or anything, but this war could go on for ever and ever. There are thousands of terrorists in every country of the world, including our own. It really is the beginning of what will porbably be World War III. So, I guess we'll all have to stick with extra security measures for a long time...fasten your seatbelt!

orlandoparks

Originally posted by Mr.Nutz

No problem:)

Liver Lips

I think the bag checking is just a big PR thing. It seems to be the thing to do now i.e. sporting events, etc.. I don't think it does any real good at all. Instead of making me feel safer, it actually reminds me of terrorism. I don't really need this kind of false sense of security. But heck, I'm still goin' to WDW whether or not they check bags!

Erika

You are right. There really is not an end in sight. Speak to someone who works for the airlines and you'll hear all kinds of stories. We have patients (and a part-time co-worker) who work for the airlines. Things are still being found, some of them through simple checks, others through more advanced measures, and still others by luck. I've heard some pretty scary stories. Thank God they are kept out of the news. Do they keep me from flying? I last flew in December and plan to fly again this Oct. Do they keep me from going downtown? Chicago has a long list of possible targets that I don't hesitate to visit. Do they keep me away from WDW? I'll be there in a few months. I'll let them check whatever they want but I refuse to waste my time worrying about smallpox or dirty bombs when I should be enjoying my vacation.

And really, I think most Americans are the same way. We're stubborn, we want our fun, and we're not going to give it up on the basis that some loony-toon MIGHT ruin it for us.

Invero

While you're right... if someone really wanted to, they could get something in... However, the bag checks do provide two things... First, they are a Deterrant... Not just for "osama-scale terrorists" but also for smaller things... knives, guns, alcohol (for the MK, a dry park). Security does prevent a lot of things that shouldn't go into a Disney park from going in. The second reason, is that it does provide a comfort factor for a lot of people.

By the way... I'm not really at liberty to say... but there is a *LOT* more security than just the bag checks and the "Disney Security" that you see...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom