Seaworld survived Blackfish but can it survive Covid19?

seascape

Original Poster
The news on Covid19 keeps getting worse and Seaworld has lost 20% of its market cap today. I am hoping either Disney or Comcast or maybe both can come up with a way to save Seaworld. If there is a mandatory closure of Orlando themeparks some attractions may not survive and I would hate to see IDrive and Seaworld die. They provide a great alternative to WDW and Universal for a day away from the two.

Lilofan

The news on Covid19 keeps getting worse and Seaworld has lost 20% of its market cap today. I am hoping either Disney or Comcast or maybe both can come up with a way to save Seaworld. If there is a mandatory closure of Orlando themeparks some attractions may not survive and I would hate to see IDrive and Seaworld die. They provide a great alternative to WDW and Universal for a day away from the two.
International Drive bet the bank on foreign guests staying and eating on one part of the long road. The other end of the road is all bet on convention business and dining and hotels that cater to these groups. These groups are affected by Covid19.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Sea World survived Blackfish while recovering from the recession. WDW and Universal will not buy Sea World as it would be controversial. They have also started to change the image of the park and move away from the Animal show aspect.

seascape

Original Poster
Sea World survived Blackfish while recovering from the recession. WDW and Universal will not buy Sea World as it would be controversial. They have also started to change the image of the park and move away from the Animal show aspect.
It's market cap was 1.3 billion at yesterday's close and is down another 5 to 6 percent today. If it has to close due to Covid19 it could easily go under. They need help because they don't have someone with deep pockets behind them. In fact Seaworld, Cedar Fair and Six Flags at yesterday's close had a combined market cap of 4.7 billion. Someone with deep pockets could find a huge bargin. Any closing of themeparks this Spring or Summer will force one or more into bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

It's market cap was 1.3 billion at yesterday's close and is down another 5 to 6 percent today. If it has to close due to Covid19 it could easily go under. They need help because they don't have someone with deep pockets behind them. In fact Seaworld, Cedar Fair and Six Flags at yesterday's close had a combined market cap of 4.7 billion. Someone with deep pockets could find a huge bargin. Any closing of themeparks this Spring or Summer will force one or more into bankruptcy.
If parks start to close in America, you know people have lost their minds over this virus. The Flu is worse and doesn't get as much attention.

seascape

Original Poster
If parks start to close in America, you know people have lost their minds over this virus. The Flu is worse and doesn't get as much attention.
Well, after today's close SeaWorld's market cap is down to 1.25 billion. Cedar Fair is now 1.66 billion and Six Flags is 1.44. The 3 combined have a combined market cap of 4.38 billion. Now on the positive side Six Flags made 179.1 million. Cedar Fair made 172.4 million and Seaworld made 89.5 million last year for a combined 441 million. But if they have to close for 2 or more werks, those profits are gone. I am thinking about cancelling my Six Flags membership if they close and I am sure others are too. These companies have to be extremely worried because it is just the start of their profitable period and losing 2 or more weeks of attendance, they all lose money for the year.

Gainesvillain

Not sure how the flu is worse. Yes, more people have died of the flu, but (right now) MANY more people have gotten the flu than the Coronavirus. According to the CDC and the WHO, the mortality rate for the flu is 0.1% and for Coronavirus it is 3.4%, a very big difference.

seascape

Original Poster
Why does everything have to be a "gloom and doom" scenario?
It is hard to be positive when the combined market cap of these 3 companies is now under 4 billion. However, Disney should buy Seaworld and Universal should buy Six Flags and save 2 chains. Merlin should buy Cedar Fair. Universal could then make a deal with AT&T for the DC rights and Disney would get back the Marvel rights. All the parks survive and everyone wins.

seascape

Original Poster
Well it was another horrible day for Seaworld, Cedar Fair and Six Flags. Their market caps are now 943 million for Seaworld, 1.19 billion for Cedar Fair and 1.14 billion for Six Flags. Combined it is now just 3.274 billion. With Disneyland closing for at least 2 weeks look for another losing day tomorrow as all 3 companies have a major presence in California. Who would have thought there was ever a possibility that these 3 companies could have a combined market cap of under 3 billion. a possibility for tomorrow.

seascape

Original Poster
The market came back nicely today and all 3 companies had gains. Six Flags and Cedar Fair went up over 25% but Seaworld only went up 2.67%.

seascape

Original Poster
The carnage in the regional themeparks continues despite a 1000 point gain in the DOW. SeaWorld's market cap is down to 688 million. Cedar Fair's market cap is now under 1 billion at 982.6 milllion. Only Six Flags is over billion but for how long at 1.09 billlion. Combined they have a pathetic market cap of 2.7 billion. I have lost quite a bit in these stocks and wish someone would buy them. In sny case, I actually think all the money I put into them is gone. I have doubt any of them will survive this downturn. I cancelled my Six Flags Membership today.

seascape

Original Poster
Yeah we get it, it's all doom and gloom.
Yes, and it's even worse today. Combined market cap is less than 2.2 billion. Six Flags has falled faster and passed Cedar Fair to be come the second lowest market cap.
Closing valued
Seaworld. 587.3 million
Cedar Fair. 762.3 million
Six Flags. 877.0 million
Total. 2,226.6 million.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

The carnage in the regional themeparks continues despite a 1000 point gain in the DOW. SeaWorld's market cap is down to 688 million. Cedar Fair's market cap is now under 1 billion at 982.6 milllion. Only Six Flags is over billion but for how long at 1.09 billlion. Combined they have a pathetic market cap of 2.7 billion. I have lost quite a bit in these stocks and wish someone would buy them. In sny case, I actually think all the money I put into them is gone. I have doubt any of them will survive this downturn. I cancelled my Six Flags Membership today.
I wish Disney would get the theme park rights to Peanuts

seascape

Original Poster
It was a good day for the regional parks. Seaworld was up 14.48%, Cedar Fair up 16.21% and Six Flags 9.94%. Hopefully with the Covid19 Stimulus bill being negotiated tomorrow will be another good day. $1,200 per adult and $500 for each child. This will be helpful to the public.

cmwade77

I wish Disney would get the theme park rights to Peanuts
Cedar Fair has the theme park rights until at least 2025 and I would imagine that with how well they have been managing the use of them, that will easily be renewed far beyond that. This dates back to Knott's Berry Farm having the rights since 1983, so not likely to change, nor should it.

cmwade77

It is hard to be positive when the combined market cap of these 3 companies is now under 4 billion. However, Disney should buy Seaworld and Universal should buy Six Flags and save 2 chains. Merlin should buy Cedar Fair. Universal could then make a deal with AT&T for the DC rights and Disney would get back the Marvel rights. All the parks survive and everyone wins.
Cedar Fair is in better shape than Merlin as it stands, in fact last I heard, Cedar Fair was looking to acquire either Six Flags or SeaWorld parks. The funny part about that is Six Flags actually made an offer recently for Cedar Fair.

But the bottom line Disney or Universal most likely wouldn't be able to get it past the regulators to buy any of their competitors, as it would create a monopoly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom