SeaWorld Orlando's Antarctica Ride Oddly Closed and Silent

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

A reader brought it to my attention that the Antarctica ride at SeaWorld Orlando seems to have been closed ever since the park reopened from the COVID-19 shutdown. It isn’t alone, as the park has also kept the Skytower and Wild Arctic attractions closed as well. Extended closures are nothing new for the Skytower, but the tight enclosed nature of the cabin does make sense if they are keeping it closed for that reason. Wild Arctic being closed is also timely, as just before the COVID-shutdowns the California park closed their version of Wild Arctic for good in mid January 2020, meaning that the Florida version (which is older) was also quicking racing toward its own inevitable EOL date.

But Antarctica is still a fairly new attraction, having just opened in 2013, and with a heavy duty air conditioning system running non-stop in the building to keep things chilled to frigid temperatures for the Penguins inside, you know that the air inside is constantly being cycled and cleaned by filtration units. So the question is, why is Antarctica still closed? Even worse, our reader said nothing was posted outside when they visited the other day to even tell guests that the ride is down… so guests are waiting in a long queue and even going through the ride’s pre-show experience, only to be taken through a backstage door and directly into the exhibit experience that normally comes at the end of the ride.

So if anyone has any insight as to what is going on. I’d love to hear more about it. After all, this is the same company that gave up on the fun Curse of DarKastle dark ride experience at the Williamsburg park because it was getting too expensive to maintain. I’d hate to see them go the same route here and just hope guests forget there ever was a ride inside the Antarctica building.

deere839

the ride needed a overlay anyway the last time i rode it before the new years half of the ride wasn't working wild artic needs a refurbishment but im kinda expecting a SWSD route for the replacement. another thing on Antarctica it is 7 years old Curse of DarKastle a more popular ride than Antarctica ran from 2005-2017 so the time frame it should have just accelerated the closure hopefully

jeanericuser001

Why do they even have penguins in florida? They should not be there. SeaWorld needs to wake up
First of all, the exhibit area is huge and there are seperate backstage areas so the penguins have plenty of places to go to. Second of all, as mentioned the exhibit itself is kept extremely cold and temperature controlled to such an extent that not even flash pictures are allowed as its believed they may affect the temperature. Everything there is very well done though the ride portion suffers from considerable issues in part due to the unpredictability of the hover crafts which use random movement patterns. In truth a lot of species can exist in any number of different climates when they are given a proper enclosure setting as evidenced by numerous species that have been at sea world for decades. What really worries me is places that care not about the enclosure or the animals within. Sea World is one of few places that takes this very seriously. Sounds like its you that needs to wake up and maybe consider looking at some of other places with genuine issues that do need to be addressed instead of focusing on an actual place that actually cares about those in their care.

Ginzuishou

First of all, the exhibit area is huge and there are seperate backstage areas so the penguins have plenty of places to go to. Second of all, as mentioned the exhibit itself is kept extremely cold and temperature controlled to such an extent that not even flash pictures are allowed as its believed they may affect the temperature. Everything there is very well done though the ride portion suffers from considerable issues in part due to the unpredictability of the hover crafts which use random movement patterns. In truth a lot of species can exist in any number of different climates when they are given a proper enclosure setting as evidenced by numerous species that have been at sea world for decades. What really worries me is places that care not about the enclosure or the animals within. Sea World is one of few places that takes this very seriously. Sounds like its you that needs to wake up and maybe consider looking at some of other places with genuine issues that do need to be addressed instead of focusing on an actual place that actually cares about those in their care.
Even having the best enclosures doesn't justify animal captivity at Seaworld. If they are doing conservation and animal rehabilitation, that's great, but that's all they should be doing to animals, not using them in shows/entertainment.

jeanericuser001

Even having the best enclosures doesn't justify animal captivity at Seaworld. If they are doing conservation and animal rehabilitation, that's great, but that's all they should be doing to animals, not using them in shows/entertainment.
Actually it does. In many cases there are either animals that can't survive on their own in the wild or are in endangered status which is why they are kept in captivity for their own species survival. Take the manatees for example. There are some there that are just there for rehabilitation but there are also some that must remain in captivity because they are too injured to survive on their own. If not for sea world likely these captive manatees would likely die out in the wild. The same goes for many other species such as sea turtles which often share one common problem, they can't survive out in the wild no matter how some people think every creature should be freed no matter if it can survive or not.

As for the performing, I think the main problem here is you see sea world as being no different than the circus was in the past. There is in truth a big difference though. Animals are not tortured or threatened in order to get them to perform. They are merely offered enticements to get them to perform much like how you give a dog a treat after performing a trick. Some also seem to enjoy the close attention they receive as well as the rewards that come with it. Now I will admit that some animals are not interested in being performers. That is ok though because sea world still offers plenty of space for animals who wish not to perform.

As for the penguins, they merely enjoy a leisurely existence with plenty of socializing as well as enjoying any number of different ways to enrich themselves. In fact you can tell when a species is truly peaceful with its enclosure when it focuses on other things besides escaping. I suspect that sea world may soon have some baby penguins on the way as I spotted a couple parents tending to some nests. If the penguins truly hated where they live then they would not be interested in breeding as they would consider the environment too dangerous to raise their young.

joanna71985

Actually it does. In many cases there are either animals that can't survive on their own in the wild or are in endangered status which is why they are kept in captivity for their own species survival. Take the manatees for example. There are some there that are just there for rehabilitation but there are also some that must remain in captivity because they are too injured to survive on their own. If not for sea world likely these captive manatees would likely die out in the wild. The same goes for many other species such as sea turtles which often share one common problem, they can't survive out in the wild no matter how some people think every creature should be freed no matter if it can survive or not.

As for the performing, I think the main problem here is you see sea world as being no different than the circus was in the past. There is in truth a big difference though. Animals are not tortured or threatened in order to get them to perform. They are merely offered enticements to get them to perform much like how you give a dog a treat after performing a trick. Some also seem to enjoy the close attention they receive as well as the rewards that come with it. Now I will admit that some animals are not interested in being performers. That is ok though because sea world still offers plenty of space for animals who wish not to perform.

As for the penguins, they merely enjoy a leisurely existence with plenty of socializing as well as enjoying any number of different ways to enrich themselves. In fact you can tell when a species is truly peaceful with its enclosure when it focuses on other things besides escaping. I suspect that sea world may soon have some baby penguins on the way as I spotted a couple parents tending to some nests. If the penguins truly hated where they live then they would not be interested in breeding as they would consider the environment too dangerous to raise their young.

well said!

jensenrick

I would also add that in the case of the manatees (who do not have to do any performing either), the fact that the rescued and rehabilitated animals (& the reason they are there) are able to be viewed by the public puts a very REAL example in front of everyone who visits the attraction, of how important it is to do what each of us can to prevent harm to these animals, such as slow wake zones & fishing line entanglements. I hate to say it, but some people would not even believe it happens if they don't see it with their own eyes.

jeanericuser001

I would also add that in the case of the manatees (who do not have to do any performing either), the fact that the rescued and rehabilitated animals (& the reason they are there) are able to be viewed by the public puts a very REAL example in front of everyone who visits the attraction, of how important it is to do what each of us can to prevent harm to these animals, such as slow wake zones & fishing line entanglements. I hate to say it, but some people would not even believe it happens if they don't see it with their own eyes.
So true. Sea world is one of the few theme parks that actually takes you back to reality with some of their exhibits to see some things you might otherwise overlook or in some cases, ignore. That is an important feature I enjoy at sea world as well. Getting back to the original subject at hand which was largely diverted from, I have suspected for a while now that the hover crafts may have issues with the piloting software that helps them navigate to their required destination. Sure the course is random but along the way it is supposed to reach certain points. When the software malfunctions it repeats common patterns and doesn't progress to the areas where it is required to be so as a result the video system is out of sync and eventually the whole system crashes as the software needs to be reset. I suspect that although they have shut down the ride they might be having maintence find a solution to this problem so when the ride resumes next year that it will be functioning properly. If that fails then they may have to convert this to something else as it apparently has significant issues that need to be resolved.

JoeCamel

So true. Sea world is one of the few theme parks that actually takes you back to reality with some of their exhibits to see some things you might otherwise overlook or in some cases, ignore. That is an important feature I enjoy at sea world as well. Getting back to the original subject at hand which was largely diverted from, I have suspected for a while now that the hover crafts may have issues with the piloting software that helps them navigate to their required destination. Sure the course is random but along the way it is supposed to reach certain points. When the software malfunctions it repeats common patterns and doesn't progress to the areas where it is required to be so as a result the video system is out of sync and eventually the whole system crashes as the software needs to be reset. I suspect that although they have shut down the ride they might be having maintence find a solution to this problem so when the ride resumes next year that it will be functioning properly. If that fails then they may have to convert this to something else as it apparently has significant issues that need to be resolved.
Seems to be a common problem with trackless that it loses track of where the RVs are but this is not a new ride. Kong, RotR and this all seem to have had issues. I've never done Rat, did it have the same problems?

LittleMerman

I know Antarctica is a short ride and not as good as it could have been, but I love it lol. I love the little story of Puck and spinning around lol. It's cute when the line is short. I missed it last weekend on my trip to SW.

I'm guessing one of the reasons it's closed is because it doesn't seem to have much capacity. Each party would probably have to have their own vehicle and that would really slow things down.

jeanericuser001

I know Antarctica is a short ride and not as good as it could have been, but I love it lol. I love the little story of Puck and spinning around lol. It's cute when the line is short. I missed it last weekend on my trip to SW.

I'm guessing one of the reasons it's closed is because it doesn't seem to have much capacity. Each party would probably have to have their own vehicle and that would really slow things down.
Honestly it may be a while before that happens. Even pre covid there were some serious issues with that attraction. I can remember at one point being stuck near the exit for 20 minutes while the ride had broken down. I had no sweater since it was summer so I was shivering like crazy by the time I got off. This happens quite a bit at there so its not uncommon for it to have issues. I think what they may end up having to do is overhaul the vehicles with fake hover balloon and a track based vehicle system Sure they can simulate all the turning and other stuff no problem but its current system of randomly wandering around may have to come to an end if its gonna break down so often. Its not the first time sea world has had to cripple an attraction. Turtle trek had an incredible 3d system and honestly it was one of the most innovative 3d attractions I have ever seen. Alas they scrapped the 3d and now its just a dome with 2d projections. Some day I hope for them to bring the 3d back but alas it may be too expensive to do it hence they have opted for a cheap 2d dome projection instead.

LittleMerman

Honestly it may be a while before that happens. Even pre covid there were some serious issues with that attraction. I can remember at one point being stuck near the exit for 20 minutes while the ride had broken down. I had no sweater since it was summer so I was shivering like crazy by the time I got off. This happens quite a bit at there so its not uncommon for it to have issues. I think what they may end up having to do is overhaul the vehicles with fake hover balloon and a track based vehicle system Sure they can simulate all the turning and other stuff no problem but its current system of randomly wandering around may have to come to an end if its gonna break down so often. Its not the first time sea world has had to cripple an attraction. Turtle trek had an incredible 3d system and honestly it was one of the most innovative 3d attractions I have ever seen. Alas they scrapped the 3d and now its just a dome with 2d projections. Some day I hope for them to bring the 3d back but alas it may be too expensive to do it hence they have opted for a cheap 2d dome projection instead.
It's not 3D anymore?! I loooved Turtle Trek! I haven't been inside the dome portion since 2018 but dang, that makes me sad.

jeanericuser001

It's not 3D anymore?! I loooved Turtle Trek! I haven't been inside the dome portion since 2018 but dang, that makes me sad.
Currently its been down since the covid reopen and likely it will probably be just aquarium only until everything is reopened. Honestly I think sea world will back burner a lot of their smaller attractions until they see a decent enough boost in attendance and covid is no longer a factor. Then they will slowly open things up. As for whether they will be repaired or not, that is another story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom