Seasonal Overlay Game

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Put your Imagineering hard hats on... we're exploring Seasonal/Holiday overlay treatments for beloved attractions. (or not so beloved attractions that could use a swift kick in the holiday pants) How would you do it? What would it look like? Which holiday?

The exercise game is simple: Create a seasonal overlay for the listed attraction. Give it a new name, details, etc then list a different attraction for the next poster to reimagine. First come, first serve sort of thing. Let's prove to Disney that we need more seasonal overlays!

To kick things off...
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor

What sort of overlay could one imagine for that attraction? My hope is that this will be a fun exercise to those that are into armchair imagineering. No competition. No judging here. Anything goes. Well, so long as it's tied to a holiday and is a prexisting attraction. I feel like Disney sometimes gets a bad wrap on seasonal overlays. And sometimes deservingly so. It depends. Got an idea for that above attraction?

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Monster's Laugh Floor: The Christmas Door

Yule be in for a treat as Prep & Landing's Lanny and Wayne stop by the famous Monstropolis Comedy Club to help fine-tune Mike Wazowski's bumbling production of the monster-holiday classic, "A Christmas Scarol" before it's set to premiere. Jokes and puns abound in this monstrously funny re-imagining of the Dickensian favorite featuring Roz as Abby Sneezer Scrooge and Mike's own nephew as Little Tiny Phlegm. Will Santa a.k.a. The Big Guy and his elves Lanny and Wayne bring the festive cheer and help put this runaway production back on track? 'Tis the Season for Laughter!

The show will utilize both physical props and characters as well as digital puppet technology. A 4D overlay. The club will be decked out with garland, wreaths, string lights and other classic holiday décor. A new door prop (The Christmas Door) positioned off stage serves as the doorway between the Monster World and the North Pole. It will feature heavily in the show and open to reveal a costumed Sulley. Lanny and Wayne will make their entrance in classic Prep & Landing fashion by dropping down from the ceiling (props) and through the use of lighting will transition to the digital "stage". A snow machine finale completes the holiday overlay. Run time: 16 mins

Next up: Soarin'

Last edited:

Miru

I feel like a good overlay for Soarin’ would be an Easter overlay, with riders going across more tropical locations, on a hunt for literal Easter eggs (plus we could have figurative ones as well, to finally reference the ride’s predecessors).

Call it: Soarin’ For A Tropical Easter Egg Hunt!

The flight attendant would present details about the special Easter package, and exploring the tropics in the equinox (as the solstice would “burn your brain a bit”), as we hear an instrumental “Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit” in the background. Before we takeoff on our hunt for Easter Eggs, you may notice that there is now a map that shows the locations of the Easter Eggs, which also shows Ham and Eggs from Kitchen Kabaret in the bottom left corner. Get ready to fly! Now that we’re seated, our first destination is Baja California. We will visit the Orinoco Rainforest, the Ganges River, the Amazon Rainforest, Ayers Rock, the Easter Islands, Rio De Janeiro, the Pyramids of Giza, the Gobi Desert… and when we’re in the Gobi, the Easter Eggs align in a circle and a time portal opens up… and we’re back to when the Gobi was full of saurian life, caring for their own eggs. The ride ends after a pink brachiosaurus sneezes on us, sending us back over to the Magic Kingdom, just in time for the fireworks show.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Original Poster
I feel like a good overlay for Soarin’ would be an Easter overlay, with riders going across more tropical locations, on a hunt for literal Easter eggs (plus we could have figurative ones as well, to finally reference rhe ride’s predecessors).

Call it: Soarin’ For A Tropical Easter Egg Hunt!

The flight attendant would present details about the special Easter package, and exploring the tropics in the equinox (as the solstice would “burn your brain a bit”), as we hear an instrumental “Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit” in the background. Before we takeoff on our hunt for Easter Eggs, you may notice that there is now a map that shows the locations of the Easter Eggs, which also shows Ham and Eggs from Kitchen Kabaret in the bottom left corner. Get ready to fly! Now that we’re seated, our first destination is Baja California. We will visit the Orinoco Rainforest, the Ganges River, the Amazon Rainforest, Ayers Rock, Rio De Janeiro, the Pyramids of Giza, the Gobi Desert… and when we’re in the Gobi, the Easter Eggs align in a circle and a time portal opens up… and we’re back to when the Gobi was full of saurian life, caring for their own eggs. The ride ends after a pink brachiosaurus sneezes on us, sending us back over to the Magic Kingdom, just in time for the fireworks show.
Now that's how you do it! Very creative concept. Love it. Can we fly over the Easter Islands?

Per the game: What's the next attraction?

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Snow White’s Scary Adventures
Halloween Overlay of Snow White’s Enchanted Wish

This Halloween overlay for Enchanted Wish brings back some of guests’ favorite scary scenes from the attraction’s predecessor, such as the forest and thunderstorm, plus a few new additions! The evil queen’s presence can now be felt throughout the entire attraction, thanks to ambient audio sound effects. Remastered lighting effects, an extra jumpscare or two, and clearer, spookier on-ride audio all add to the thrill.

Next attraction: Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters at Disneyland

Miru

Snow White’s Scary Adventures
Halloween Overlay of Snow White’s Enchanted Wish

This Halloween overlay for Enchanted Wish brings back some of guests’ favorite scary scenes from the attraction’s predecessor, such as the forest and thunderstorm, plus a few new additions! The evil queen’s presence can now be felt throughout the entire attraction, thanks to ambient audio sound effects. Remastered lighting effects, an extra jumpscare or two, and clearer, spookier on-ride audio all add to the thrill.

Next attraction: Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters at Disneyland
Exactly what we needed for the ride.

For St. Patrick’s day, Zurg has now collected four-leafed clovers to spread bad luck to Star Command! The clovers replace batteries, and several enemies have been given leprechaun hats, and the ending scene has Zurg dunked in a pot of gold. In addition, the opening theme is now played on bagpipes.

Next target: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Next target: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Okay, let me see what I can come up with...

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway: Halloween Havoc
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway should be pretty easy to do an overlay of seeing as it's about 97% screens. Goofy's train has been hijacked by that Zombie Goofy from Goofy Ghoul or whatever the name of that short was, and now Mickey and Minnie must save the riders before going to that big Halloween party at Donald's. We get references to The Skeleton Dance, The Mad Doctor, and other "spooky" Disney shorts, along with the gross-out humor and off-model "LOL funny reaction" gags that the 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts have in abundance. But it's not Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so nobody cares!

NEXT PROMPT: Toy Story Midway Mania.

Miru

For the Fourth of July, Midway Mania gets a set of new, patriotacular games with new hosts! First and foremost, Stars and Stripes are now dominating Mr. Potato Head’s attire and the vehicles have been given little American flags to match. Once you enter the vehicles, you are sent to a set of games including “Arrow Raid” (hosted by Reptilicus Maximus), where you fire at bison as targets with arrows. Next is “Catfish Benders”, hosted by Neptuna, where you catch catfish in large nets. Then go through “Boston-Bake-Off”, hosted by Hamm and the Peas in a Pod, where you fire darts at tnt barrels and cases of tea. Try to sink the ship for bonus points! Fourth is “All Clear 4 Blast Off”, hosted by Rex, where you clear out asteroids to help the rocket launch (for Buzz!). The last one is “Precision Firework Show”, hosted by Ducky and Bunny, where you launch fireworks at targets, in the shape of the Toy Story cast. The ending now features a barbecue showing your score, and the animals are now wearing Uncle Sam hats. As you exit, fireworks are projected in the windows.

Next is Mission: SPACE

Last edited:

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Next is Mission: SPACE​
Please forgive me, but I can’t resist:

Mission: SPACE
Seasonal Overlay for Mission: SPACE

The 7th of August is the unofficial holiday Vomit Day! To celebrate, for the entire month of August, Disney is changing absolutely nothing about Mission: SPACE to make it even more barf-inducing!

Next up: Test Track​

Miru

Please forgive me, but I can’t resist:

Mission: SPACE
Seasonal Overlay for Mission: SPACE

The 7th of August is the unofficial holiday Vomit Day! To celebrate, for the entire month of August, Disney is changing absolutely nothing about Mission: SPACE to make it even more barf-inducing!

Next up: Test Track​
Put more effort into an overlay next time, but.

Test Track’s Christmas Retheme has you chasing down a runaway sleigh, with cold air throughout the entire ride, as well as lots of snow added, and red and green lights. In the queue, noticed gift boxes wrapped with the World of Motion logo, and on the ride, one such gift box opens to reveal the sea serpent. The pre-show has the announcer talk about the runaway sleigh and how he’s in absolute disbelief about this. There’s also a lesson on the history of Santa Claus.

Next is Jumpin’ Jellyfish (bonus points if you do a proper overlay for Mission:SPACE)

Lizzy May Bee

Jumpin’ Jollyfish
Since Jumpin’ Jellyfish Is A Masterwork In Minimalist Design, My Very Artful Overlay Will Not Be Rich In Explicit Story But Instead Will Stimulate It’s Guests With Visuals & Sounds, Such As Projecting Simple Colored From Above, Playing Christmas Songs, & Decorating The Pole With Snow.

Next (I’m Sure This Won’t Be Controversial): Splash Mountain (Past Or Future Versions, You Choose)​

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay, let me see what I can come up with...

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway: Halloween Havoc
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway should be pretty easy to do an overlay of seeing as it's about 97% screens. Goofy's train has been hijacked by that Zombie Goofy from Goofy Ghoul or whatever the name of that short was, and now Mickey and Minnie must save the riders before going to that big Halloween party at Donald's. We get references to The Skeleton Dance, The Mad Doctor, and other "spooky" Disney shorts, along with the gross-out humor and off-model "LOL funny reaction" gags that the 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts have in abundance. But it's not Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so nobody cares!

NEXT PROMPT: Toy Story Midway Mania.
I would queue up a good 3 hours for a chance to see even a 10th of that in a MMRR attraction.

Seeing as how MMRR is screen-based one would hope Disney has considered doing a seasonal overlay. There's really no excuse (Besides $$) why Disney hasn't given these attractions a holiday reimagining. It's one of the reasons why it irks me that Monster's Inc Laugh Floor and even Toy Story Midway Mania! have yet to receive any type of seasonal overlay treatment. The biggest advantange with the screen-based rides and shows is that they could be switched over with a literal flip of a switch without ANY downtime.

Last edited:

Miru

For New Years, PATF is switched out for a completely different movie in Soul… in fact, this ride now shows 22’s journey over to earth, with the scenes heavily modified to show 22 going through the cosmos and landing on earth, with singing souls everywhere. The climactic drop is now a drop down to Earth, where 22 is finally born.

Next is a Universal ride: Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Next is a Universal ride: Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges
Oof! A Universal Studios attraction eh? I'll allow it. lol 😉

I'd rather an overlay to Kali River Rapids, TBH. Any overlay. Anything at all! Terrible rapids ride! That said, Uni's Bilge-Rat Barge might be a good candidate for a seasonal overlay. At least it has characters that can be incorporated into a story or plot of somekind. An 8.5/10 compared to painfully-boring Kali River Rapids, a 4/10.

The issue with Bilge-Rat Barge is that it's already extensively-themed and could only really see minior theming unless the ride plot is changed. As for what holiday, I'll leave that to a more capable armchair imagineer... This one's got me stumped. Any ideas?

Both this and Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls have the same basic "damsel in distress" premise so giving one of these a seasonal overlay and actually changing the storyline would be a big win in my mind. Will happily award 1000x ficticous bonus points to anyone that can create a seasonal overlay for Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges giving it a completely new narrative.

You picked a good one @Miru!

YOU WILL GET WET!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom