Seasonal Multi-Day Ticket Pricing Coming Soon

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney moved to seasonal pricing for one-day tickets in February 2016. Word on the street is that seasonal pricing will come to multi-day tickets by mid-October this year. (I've heard as early as mid-September.)

My guesses:
  • Each park will have its own "seasons". This will allow DHS to charge more around the debut of MMRR and SW:GE, of course, but also Epcot during festivals, etc. Any time a park has something new, more can be charged there. Other parks can charge less, to take off some of the crowds.

• You'll have to say "I'm going to this park on this date" to get the cheapest pricing.

• There will be a more expensive "go to any park any day during your trip" option.
The people I've spoken to say that the new ticket ordering process is very complicated - something like 7 to 9 steps per ticket. That may delay implementation a bit, as third-party vendors try to figure out how to integrate.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Me figuring out my next wdw vacation.

Algebra-Gif.gif

ToTBellHop

This would be extremely complex and messy.

I suppose the park-hopper option would be replaced by “any park(s), any day”. You likely select your week for base price and then pick individual parks for each day or select an add on (park hopper, water parks).

Good luck changing plans if you score a Be Our Guest resie last minute. They’d honestly have to let people upgrade tickets online, which should already be an option.

Maybe they’ll start paying people to go to Epcot! “Ten-Dollar-Off Tuesdays at Epcot” and “Wacky Wednesdays” when $100 pays for an entire carload of people after 2 pm! Come for the rides, stay for the nightly Wall-E in the Sky Interim Spectacular sponsored by Monsanto!

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

Disney moved to seasonal pricing for one-day tickets in February 2016. Word on the street is that seasonal pricing will come to multi-day tickets by mid-October this year. (I've heard as early as mid-September.)

My guesses:
  • Each park will have its own "seasons". This will allow DHS to charge more around the debut of MMRR and SW:GE, of course, but also Epcot during festivals, etc. Any time a park has something new, more can be charged there. Other parks can charge less, to take off some of the crowds.

• You'll have to say "I'm going to this park on this date" to get the cheapest pricing.

• There will be a more expensive "go to any park any day during your trip" option.
The people I've spoken to say that the new ticket ordering process is very complicated - something like 7 to 9 steps per ticket. That may delay implementation a bit, as third-party vendors try to figure out how to integrate.

Any word on how this will affect MYW Packages?

Jon81uk

Pricing based on different seasons for different parks overall could be messy and even further takes them down the route that many are hating of locking in your plans far in advance, my husband already hates that FPs booked at 60 days meant we knew which park we would be at on which days.

Making the first day influence the price for the whole ticket might work though, so if you start a 10 day ticket in peak season the whole ticket price counts as peak. But having to pre-plan which park you are in for every one of those days? No thank you.

Jon81uk

Better staff up at the ticket windows.

I actually see ticket windows going away at WDW, with Fastpasses being booked in advance there is no incentive to buy a ticket on the day. Some people will always need to book on the day, so some windows will always be needed but I see many being got rid of and plaza areas opened up further.

Minnie Mum

My guesses:

Given the awesome efficiency and reliability of WDWs booking system, I can't help but think that this would cause the whole system to implode about a minute after it was implemented.

Kman101

This sounds like a mess. And a way of them to further know when people will be visiting each park.

It seems they have these "grand ideas" that somehow get turned into a real thing and then they struggle to implement it because they suddenly realize how complicated it is. But they ultimately go through with it. I also think they know they get some pushback with their "price raises" so they're trying to find ways to raise the price without doing it like they did before so we get these convoluted schemes.

Kman101

Given the awesome efficiency and reliability of WDWs booking system, I can't help but think that this would cause the whole system to implode about a minute after it was implemented.

:joyfull: :hilarious:

It's going to be a mess. I mean it's difficult to even get FP's because the app goes so slow or shuts down or crashes ... I mean they can't even get sign up things right, so they think this is a good idea?

monothingie

Premium Member
The problem is, is that the people making these decisions are so disconnected from the actual park guests that they have no idea how much of a turn off this is for the guest experience. Rather than building needed capacity, they are trying to control capacity via convoluted price structures.

Keep building those hotels and adding demand. There will be a tipping point.

Goofyernmost

Any word on how this will affect MYW Packages?
There will not be a word about that since it is nothing more then "Rumor" at the moment. That was a speculation post, not a "news" post. It is easily possible to have a one day ticket to be seasonal, but, not the multi day since you don't have to commit to a certain day or time when you buy it. Even one day ones are more difficult if you don't buy them on the way in. (which most people probably would)

We now know that even a purchased ticket expires when it hasn't been used within a time frame and you have to turn the value in towards a new ticket if prices have risen since you purchased it. The line at Guest Services would make the queue at SWL look like it's empty. If it's going to cost them more to operate that process then they gain by having seasonal tickets it will be roadblocked by the Accounting Dept.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think they'd go to a "subscription" model before they'd try to calculate all the possible permutations of a multi-day ticket that can span multiple seasons over multiple parks.

For an annual fee*, you could buy pay-one-price tickets for one to ten days at a time at a standard price.

*Annual fees could range from $350 for a single, $500 for a couple, and $700 for a family unit, and would include one three-day ticket for each person in your party up to four... additional 3-day tickets would be normal price...

monothingie

Premium Member
:joyfull::hilarious:

It's going to be a mess. I mean it's difficult to even get FP's because the app goes so slow or shuts down or crashes ... I mean they can't even get sign up things right, so they think this is a good idea?

Disney's entire system is so convoluted.
There will not be a word about that since it is nothing more then "Rumor" at the moment. That was a speculation post, not a "news" post. It is easily possible to have a one day ticket to be seasonal, but, not the multi day since you don't have to commit to a certain day or time when you buy it. Even one day ones are more difficult if you don't buy them on the way in. (which most people probably would)

We now know that even a purchased ticket expires when it hasn't been used within a time frame and you have to turn the value in towards a new ticket if prices have risen since you purchased it. The line at Guest Services would make the queue at SWL look like it's empty. If it's going to cost them more to operate that process then they gain by having seasonal tickets it will be roadblocked by the Accounting Dept.

You are speculating (as you usually do). @lentesta as his track record proceeds him is reporting on solid information.

Kman101

Yeah, Len's not exactly the type to just speculate and throw things out there. This will likely be implemented someway, somehow. They don't seem to pull back on things even though they know it's going to be a difficult thing. They don't care.

They want to be like Tokyo.

WDW. You aren't. I love you, and I haven't even been to Tokyo, but you are not Tokyo.

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster

My bad. I thought it was widely known that this was happening. Here's the Feb 11 2018 Orlando Sentinel article quoting Disney spokesperson Andrea Finger saying multi-day seasonal pricing is coming in 2018.

My post gives the timeline I've heard and the feedback I've got about the new process, from CMs and third parties. That's the rumor part.

drizgirl

I actually see ticket windows going away at WDW, with Fastpasses being booked in advance there is no incentive to buy a ticket on the day. Some people will always need to book on the day, so some windows will always be needed but I see many being got rid of and plaza areas opened up further.
As long as people change plans, they will need ticket windows. And with such a convoluted and confusing system, I'm standing by my recommendation for staffing up.

Kman101

The problem is, is that the people making these decisions are so disconnected from the actual park guests that they have no idea how much of a turn off this is for the guest experience. Rather than building needed capacity, they are trying to control capacity via convoluted price structures.

Keep building those hotels and adding demand. There will be a tipping point.

Therein lies the problem. They're disconnected and man does it show.

"The are trying to control capacity"

Bingo. Nailed it. They are STILL trying to control capacity. They must absolutely hate having to build new attractions and rides.

To have guests select the parks they're going to, this furthers the 'control capacity'. Instead of, you know, expanding capacity like they should have been doing for the last 20-15 years. Instead they take away, replace, finally add a bit back (because they have to) but they still have their old mind-frame. And it shows.

Kman101

He was guessing *how* it would be implemented, not guessing that it would be. I'm sure it's no doubt an idea they've had. We'll see if it happens. Could easily be put off or not happen but I wouldn't outright dismiss it. You do you though. To be fair you're not entirely wrong that it's a rumor. But this is a "rumors" forum after all. Why do people forget that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom