Sea lice at Castaway Cay and the Caribbean

geomelin

Original Poster
We are having a caribbean Disney Cruise in July 2015.
Have you ever had an experience with those?
How serious is it?
Are there any precaution medicine you can use?
I have read about Safe Sea lotion, but how effective is it?

Thanks

lostpro9het

I don't know if it matters when you go or not but we went in September and didn't hear folks complaining about anything. We did use this though while we were there:
51mShUxQwsL._SY355_.jpg

We mixed it 50/50 with our sun block and just put in as if we were putting on sun block. All I can say is we didn't get bit/stung by anything but I can't speak to if its because of the repellant or the fact that nothing was in the water to begin with. Being first time cruisers we sided with caution and just used it and we will probably use it again next year when we go.

Phonedave

How serious is it?

Thanks

Sea Lice don't do anything to people. Jellyfish spawn, what people call sea lice, do sting. It is a rash due to a reaction from the sting, and like any other reaction effects people differently. It is rarely serious. You can't see the spawn, and if they are in the water, they can get caught under whatever you are wearing and held against your skin - where they will then sting. That's about the extent of it.

I never used Safe Sea lotion, but then I never had a problem at Castaway Cay either.

-dave

Much-Pixie-Dust

This is what happened to my DD last June when she went into the water off the slide at CC. She has very sensitive skin and was wearing a rash guard. The rash guard trapped them in and she had a rash all over stomach, chest and arms (it was a long sleeve rash guard due to a skin pigment condition). She immediately removed rash guard and showered in cold water, which helped a lot. She did need some ointment, which we brought with us from home because she has moderate to severe skin reactions from a wide variety of things. Others were getting stung that day too, but it did not seem severe for anyone.

Phonedave

This is what happened to my DD last June when she went into the water off the slide at CC. She has very sensitive skin and was wearing a rash guard. The rash guard trapped them in and she had a rash all over stomach, chest and arms (it was a long sleeve rash guard due to a skin pigment condition). She immediately removed rash guard and showered in cold water, which helped a lot. She did need some ointment, which we brought with us from home because she has moderate to severe skin reactions from a wide variety of things. Others were getting stung that day too, but it did not seem severe for anyone.

Actually, if it happens to you - DO NOT SHOWER. It may make you feel a little better at first, by numbing your skin, but it makes the stinging worse.

Fresh water is a stressor to jellyfish, they are salt water creatures. Putting fresh water on a jellyfish causes it "pain" in as much as they can feel pain. What is their response to pain? They sting. Rinsing in fresh water will make them sting more. Rinse them off in salt water, and then when they are all off, rinse in fresh.

Also, make sure you wash that rash guard well. They can become trapped in there, and even if they are dead, they can still sting. They really don't have a brain, the stings "fire" automatically when something (such as fresh water) irritates them.

-dave

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Great info Dave! I've never had an issue in all the times I have been to CC. But it's always better to have the knowledge of what to do just in case!

Pam

Lisajbuch

We were on Castaway Cay, Tuesday, March 10, 2015. There were 1thousands of jellyfish. We stayed in a cabana and my sons caught probably 10 each. Not sure about sealice...we did go over to the slide...but no skin reactions
image.jpg

Ulysses McGill

Sea lice, which are just jellyfish spawn, are most abundant around July/August. Usually those blooms tend to stay adrift offshore, but if you're really worried about it, just get some some good sting ointment.

Actually, having grown up on a beach, vinegar works pretty well to remove the sting. It's also super cheap. Might be odd to carry that around with you, but again, if you're really worried about it that's a good way to go.

NelleBelle

I, too, was worried about the Sea Lice. I looked everywhere for the Safe Sea (couldn't believe how expensive it was on Amazon). We eventually decided to "risk" it--I read that there are typically seasons of "blooms" and Feb. wasn't typically when they are out. After running around all around Port Canaveral the night before/morning of the cruise, I ran across it on the ship! Still expensive, but nice to know it was there.

LesKev

How serious is it?

Thanks
We have been there over 10 times and we never had a problem. This is the first I heard of it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom