Scrapbooking gatherings/parties

k.hunter30

Original Poster
As a way to get people more plugged in at our church I was thinking about starting up a Scrapbooking group through our women's ministries. I'm hoping to get a group of at least 5 women who would be the "regulars" and then encouraging everyone to invite someone else.

I've never done scrapbooking but on my own. Any tips on how a scrapbooking party should go? Should I have some small albums with some paper and accessories available for first-timers - and let them use our other supplies? I know there's a bunch of women who are interested in starting to scrapbook, but they just have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on how I can get them involved? Do any of you do scrapbooking gatherings? Thanks!

mouselvrmom

I've only done scrapbook gatherings where I've paid to be involved. We brought our projects, paper and such and used a common cutting area with cropping tools. There were also supplies on hand to be bought, obviously.

Oh, I guess the other thing that I have done as a group is go to Archiver's to use their space to scrap. That was kind of nice, too, because if we needed something, we could just go shopping. :D

I think that it would be nice to set up a scrapping group on a regular basis with friends and neighbors to get books done. You could set it up any way that you want. Everyone could bring a snack to share and you guys could just work the night away! Too bad I don't live closer!:cry:

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I've only done scrapbook gatherings where I've paid to be involved. We brought our projects, paper and such and used a common cutting area with cropping tools. There were also supplies on hand to be bought, obviously.

Oh, I guess the other thing that I have done as a group is go to Archiver's to use their space to scrap. That was kind of nice, too, because if we needed something, we could just go shopping. :D

I think that it would be nice to set up a scrapping group on a regular basis with friends and neighbors to get books done. You could set it up any way that you want. Everyone could bring a snack to share and you guys could just work the night away! Too bad I don't live closer!:cry:
If I ever get a group up and running you're more than welcome to join us next time you're in town! ;)

So what did the cost of participating in the first gathering you mentioned go towards? The "supplies on hand"?

mouselvrmom

I think the cost goes to renting the space and towards snacks. We rented a church space out and had lunch and dessert served to us, so I'm pretty sure it went towards paying for that.

Good luck on getting an awesome group together! Too bad I'd have to hop a plane to get there! I'm up in balmy Minnesota. :lol:

ljs1691

You might consider bringing in a demonstrator from Creative Memories, Stampin Up, or just an instructor type that can help get your group off on the right foot for the first meeting. This can be especially helpful for anyone new to scrapbooking as they can get the basics.

Then you might consider having a special guest instructor each quarter, or every other month or something. Alot of Stampin Up demonstrators will come in and do a make and take type layout for a small fee and you can use her tools. Good demonstrators will be able to teach a new technique each time as well.

Good Luck!

k.hunter30

Original Poster
You might consider bringing in a demonstrator from Creative Memories, Stampin Up, or just an instructor type that can help get your group off on the right foot for the first meeting. This can be especially helpful for anyone new to scrapbooking as they can get the basics.

Then you might consider having a special guest instructor each quarter, or every other month or something. Alot of Stampin Up demonstrators will come in and do a make and take type layout for a small fee and you can use her tools. Good demonstrators will be able to teach a new technique each time as well.

Good Luck!
Great ideas!
That just made me think - Hobby Lobby hosts classes I think. Maybe we can have our first gathering there - to get everyone started. hmmm... :)

Disneyfalcon

We had scrapbooking nights at our Church all the time. We all brought our stuff talked, ate, and laughed. We actually liked that no one was selling anything and advertised that as a way to get people to come.

We also had a night where my friend and I taught everyone how to make a mini album we made. Everyone gave us $15 for supplies which we went out and bought. Then we went through each page together. It was great fun.

If you have some newbies, I think having your first get together at Hobby Lobby (Archivers!!!!) or a local scrapbooking store is the way to go. Everyone is guaranteed to finish something and the newbies will get an idea where to start.

happymom52003

I highly agree. I am almost as obsessed with scrapbooking as I am with Disney, and I have participatd in numerous groups such as the one you want to start. I am a HUGE customer of both Creative Memories and Stampin Up, and I think that Creative Memories would be a better option because their focus is really on "simple" scrapbooking, especially for beginners. A creative memories consultant would give a step by step process that is not overwhelming (no, I am not a creative memories consultant! Just a huge fan!). Also, most scrapbookers love to help out newbies, so if you already have a few experienced scrappers in your group, they should be able to help out the new ones.
I got to go put my kids to bed....I'll try to post again later with some tips for you on this.

NeNe1298

I have a group of friends and we get together once a month. We alternate houses and bring a dish to share. The host provides the drinks and snacks. Somehow chocolate is always involved. :D We all bring our stuff and share tools. If we have extra supplies, paper, brads, etc to share we put them in a bowl in the middle of the table for anyone to have. Make sure to lable your tools. You'll be surprised at how spread out things get and how messy it can look when it's time to clean up and gather your tools.

Have fun!! We do! :sohappy:

PS We are all relatively new scrapbookers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom