Scooters gone wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptdreher

Original Poster
I just got back from WDW last week and I was shocked to see how many electric scooters there are now in the resorts. Everyday I walked out of BLT I saw a new scooter rental truck delivering more for rental. I found myself getting desensitized to people with disabilities because I don't know if everyone is legitimate or not. I think there should be a handicap certification for these vehicles so you we can provide proper assistance to those who need it. I saw too many folks riding the scooters up to a ride and using the benefits of handicap access and then walking just fine and allowing a family member to ride the vehicle later on. I have no problem with the older generation using the scooters to travel the parks or grounds to reduce the amount of time you are on your feet, but that's where it should end. If you truly do not need the scooter for a disability then you should wait in line with the rest of us. My daughter even suggested they should have a scooter /stroller lane established in each of the walkways to minimize interference and keep it more orderly. What do you think?

DisneyJoe

On the majority of attractions, most wheelchairs and ECV's wait in line with everyone else; once they enter, they are directed to either the very front or very rear of a theater for viewing. There are extremely few where we get front of the line access to skip ahead of anyone, this number is getting smaller all of the time.

In other words, we do wait in line with everyone else.

gwhb75

I see you're new here. I started the exact same thread after my first trip back from WDW 5 years ago (it was also my first post on the board - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scooters.354668/). Let me summarize how this is probably going to go:

1) Some people will agree with you
2) People who legit need a scooter will tell you there is no way to police the system (which is correct)
3) Some people will say you're not a doctor and can't say who does or doesn't need a scooter (which is probably also correct).
4) Some will tell you a story about a relative who needs a scooter to get around the parks.
5) Someone (or a few someones) will make off colour remarks about over weight people
6) Thread will be locked

So there you have it. The popcorn muncher emoticon will make an appearance shortly too.

rufio

I do sympathize with what you're saying. I have people, on multiple occasions, who rent scooters for the sole purpose of getting onto rides quicker, getting a better seat at shows, etc. I have even heard people brag about it! Still, there are people who do need them. Like the previous poster pointed out, there really is no way to police the system without a doctor's certification, which would make sense, but I can imagine the uproar it would cause. I think there has to be some point where common sense comes into play. When a parent walks in with a 10-year-old on a scooter who obviously has no mental or physical ailment and is suddenly healed when it's time to get on a ride, get food, watch fireworks, etc, that is when it becomes an issue.

Sweet Melissa

I just returned from a family vacation to Disneyland. My party included my grandmother and her wheelchair (nothing motorized, just a good-ol'-fashioned push wheelchair). In Disneyland, probably more than WDW, there were attractions where she had to use a special entrance or wait for an accessible ride vehicle. Sometimes our wait times were a little bit shorter than the posted queue time, but in many cases we waited just as long or longer. And there were a lot of things that she couldn't do at all. Now that I've experienced it, I honestly feel that any "advantages" wheelchair users gain by virtue of being in a chair are balanced if not outweighed by the struggles of navigating the park in one. It's not easy, and I'm sure most users wish that they were able to walk all day.

At the same time, I don't really care if someone is just being lazy or wants to "ride" around the parks instead of walking. They pay for the rental, they can do whatever they want. They've got to deal with all the downsides to having the chair as well as the "perks." No skin off my nose.

ptdreher

Original Poster
I see you're new here. I started the exact same thread after my first trip back from WDW 5 years ago (it was also my first post on the board - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scooters.354668/). Let me summarize how this is probably going to go:

2) People who legit need a scooter will tell you there is no way to police the system (which is correct)
3) Some people will say you're not a doctor and can't say who does or doesn't need a scooter (which is probably also correct).
4) Some will tell you a story about a relative who needs a scooter to get around the parks.
5) Someone (or a few someones) will make off colour remarks about over weight people
6) Thread will be locked

So there you have it. The popcorn muncher emoticon will make an appearance shortly too.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the lock. It was just very noticeable during our recent trip.

ptdreher

Original Poster
I just returned from a family vacation to Disneyland. My party included my grandmother and her wheelchair (nothing motorized, just a good-ol'-fashioned push wheelchair). In Disneyland, probably more than WDW, there were attractions where she had to use a special entrance or wait for an accessible ride vehicle. Sometimes our wait times were a little bit shorter than the posted queue time, but in many cases we waited just as long or longer. And there were a lot of things that she couldn't do at all. Now that I've experienced it, I honestly feel that any "advantages" wheelchair users gain by virtue of being in a chair are balanced if not outweighed by the struggles of navigating the park in one. It's not easy, and I'm sure most users wish that they were able to walk all day.

At the same time, I don't really care if someone is just being lazy or wants to "ride" around the parks instead of walking. They pay for the rental, they can do whatever they want. They've got to deal with all the downsides to having the chair as well as the "perks." No skin off my nose.
Good point. Maybe it was just this trip i saw more. They did not prevent me from doing what I wanted. You just can't help thinking about it after spending 80 minutes in line in 90 degree weather and you see quite a few ECVs going in front of you. Also, when leaving the parks at the end of a show the steets are just too crowded. There should be better orderly exits for strollers and ECVs.

mergatroid

After reading the thread title maybe they should be made to wear these shirts

scooter_riders_gone_wild_poster-rd002f9552468484d9eaf0fff87edb572_aijbe_400.jpg

bethymouse

My Mom & Dad, both in their 70's could not get around WDW any other way! The idea of a "scooter/wheelchair" lane is a good one I think, but maybe impossible to create?

LizC

Unfortunatley rude people are everywhere even in WDW, using scooters and walking around. Not much we can do about it.

I hope you still enjoyed your trip.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

6) Thread will be locked

52.gif

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sometimes the scooters annoy me too. I have gone to the world very overweight (I have lost a lot of weight now) I never needed a scooter, thank goodness! Whenever I'm annoyed by these scooters I just try to ignore it but mostly I'm thankful that I am able to get around on my own to feet all day and that I don't have something that hinders my movement. Side note, when I went to Disneyland in April I didn't notice as many scooters, I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom