Scooters and Buses and Waiting, Oh My!

GrannyJill2

Original Poster
Folks on scooters and in wheelchairs being allowed to board ahead of everyone in line at the bus stops - Big Source of Controversy!

I've read many threads about this and discovered that I'm still confused as to why they must board ahead of everyone else in line. I've learned about the laws of accommodation, and there are also the unwritten rules of courtesy and consideration to be taken into account.

Say for instance that the bus holds 100 people and there are 100 people already standing in line at the bus stop. The next bus should be able to load all 100 people standing in line with no problem. If someone in a chair lines up behind the 100 in line, that person and their party should be able to board the NEXT bus first.

Discussion, please?

happymom52003

I've read many threads about this and discovered that I'm still confused as to why they must board ahead of everyone else in line.

Then you should know that the zillion and one threads about this topic always have the same arguments for both sides, get very heated, and usually end up locked. I mean really, is there anything else that can be said on this topic that has not been said already? Especially considering that a similar thread was just locked this morning? I'm not trying to be rude, I just dont understand what you hope to accomplish by starting yet another scooter thread.

DisneyJoe

Currently the queues for the buses aren't setup like that, but lets say that they were. In other words, there is only 1 queue to get onto the bus, and it is wide enough for a wheelchair or scooter to be in the same queue.

The first issue you will face are the scooters hitting people in the back of the legs, etc. but lets ignore that for now.

I believe a bus holds closer to 50 people, so lets work an example.

1 - there are 50 people in queue, person #30 is in a scooter.

2 - an empty bus arrives.

3 - the first 29 people board the bus, some take the seats that need to be moved for the scooter.

4 - now the scooter is in the front of the line. The driver needs to stop people from boarding, lower the ramp, clear the scooter area, especially making it safe so that the scooter doesn't hit any knees or toes, load the scooter and secure it in place. I believe the person on the scooter needs to leave the scooter too and take a seat, possibly moving a person who is already seated.....

5 - now you can load the remaining people.

6 - what if a 2nd or 3rd scooter is in the first group of 50 people???

I believe it is safer to load the scooters first.

brent2124

Agreed. But as someone who used to visit with my grandfather who used a scooter I must say that some "normal" guests can be very rude about the special needs of guests with wheelchairs or scooters. I totaly agree about waiting in line especially people whos handicap is obesity. It can be very upsetting sometimes though to hear people complain about the time it takes to board a scooter or wheelchair. Some guests complain with no knoweldge of who the person with the disability is or how they got it. My grandfather served in the Navy and later in life had his right leg amputated from the knee down. It is very agravating to listen to people complain when they have no idea what the situation of the guest is.

Figment632

This has been discussed a lot

But I think that the person in the wheelchair should be loaded first but should only allowed to have 1 person from there party go with them. It is not fair to every one else who has to wait on line that the whole party gets to cut the line. I have witnessed at MK a party with 10 plus people with a wheelchair get to cut the line, its not fair to everyone else. They person should be allowed on person to help them the rest of the party should have to wait on line like everyone else. If they dont want to be split up the person in the wheel chair should have to wait on the side till it is there party's turn to board the bus. I think this is a totally fair way to fix this problem.

GrannyJill2

Original Poster
1 - there are 50 people in queue, person #30 is in a scooter.
2 - an empty bus arrives.
3 - the first 29 people board the bus, some take the seats that need to be moved for the scooter.
4 - now the scooter is in the front of the line. The driver needs to stop people from boarding, lower the ramp, clear the scooter area, especially making it safe so that the scooter doesn't hit any knees or toes, load the scooter and secure it in place. I believe the person on the scooter needs to leave the scooter too and take a seat, possibly moving a person who is already seated.....
5 - now you can load the remaining people.
6 - what if a 2nd or 3rd scooter is in the first group of 50 people???
I believe it is safer to load the scooters first.

I used 100 people as an example, but I agree that the scooters should be loaded first. If there are 50 people in the queue and the person on the scooter is #30, then they should be loaded first, no question.

The problems arise when there are already a busload of people waiting in line. I'm not sure how the situation would be resolved, and that's why I threw out this thread.

Keep those good ideas coming :)

GrannyJill2

Original Poster
If only it were true. ;)

I think we can do it. Rev up those marvelous brains and approach the problem from a new direction. Perhaps if we imagine the scooters without anyone on them? Crazy, but it removes the possibility of a personal attack on someone.

Uncle Lupe

Like I said in the locked thread, and internal park wide omni-mover system. You would pay a premium to use the system but it has perks. Simply sit in the stylish shade providing pods until you see the attraction that you want then exit and board the ride using your special fast pass.

Or a park wide system of moving sidewalks that are free to all.

Wow I misspelled stylish and it tried to make it sluttish.:ROFLOL:

disney4life2008

I am fine with a DISABLED or a person who needs a scooter or wheelchair getting access to the front. You never know someones ailment. My problem though is with people who RENT wheelchairs and they do not need it. On my last trip, I saw several FOREIGN visitors (those from Brazil) in groups riding in wheelchairs from Disney. I was shocked to see all of those riding get up and walk perfectly fine to a ride or resturant.

Last trip I had my dad come with us. During the trip he severely pulled his back and couldn't stand at all. I ran and got him a scooter because I really wanted him to enjoy himself.

During that time...I would of gladly paid a small fee if Disney offered something like an "Access-a-ride". I'm not sure if anyone else has them but here in NY it's a private bus that will pick people with special needs and bring them to where they want to go.

Maybe Disney should have a designated bus and for maybe a small fee, will pick you and and drop you off to where you want to go.

yensidtlaw

The thing that bothers me most is not the handicaped person boarding ahead of everyone else, its when they bring along 10 people, brothers-sisters-parents-children-friends-friends of friends all get to come on board with them.

rdour@techminds

Hello,

I'll gladly help clean up some of the mess here and also provide some feedback of my own. First, I'll tell you I'm blind. This will put things in perspective for the next few parts.

First, Disney's Guest Assistance pass is a "on-paper" version of their policy in action. Thus, your maximum party size is 6 people. 6, not 10, not a dozen, not even 7. This would cover the average family and two grandparents for sure. But, parties greater than 10 could split up for sure. However, for each guest with a need, the party may include 6 guests. So, 12 people with two using a chair goes just fine. The cards are not required for transportation, but clearly indicate Disney's wishes.

Next, there is another good reason for the accessibility lane at the bus stops. This one will probably boil some blood too, but its got to happen this way unfortunately. I have to walk down the lanes trying to follow the curb, and ask at each bus stop what bus is that? Yep, and if nobody is at a stop, and no bus is there, I have to simply skip it and hope that wasn't mine.

There is something that makes this situation worse. At both the Epcot and Animal Kingdom, the bus stops actually don't have curbs. I encourage you to notice this the next time you visit. Now, what do you think that means for me? Several times I literally ended up in the line of bus traffic, no tactile bump strip is provided, but the ADA requires it for these specific situations. They provide the only means of knowing the boundary. Animal kingdom is the shameful one, as these rules were in place before the park opened. I'm hoping they resolve this before someone actually gets injured or killed over it. I've had my opportunity to express my concern to the right people, but if I'm the only one concerned, it becomes one of those things they'll get done when they need to referb the structures or roads.

The ideal setup would involve a single speaker at the bus menu signs that just repeats over and over again the bus number and associated stop. Then, post speakers at the bus stops that say the bus number out loud every 30 seconds or so in a staggered manner around the bus stop. This would create a method by which a visually impaired guest could find their stop. It also would reinforce the normal guest's ability to find their bus, as not all people with vision are visual learners. This goes especially for those who wearily walk out of the parks with their kids screaming bloody murder because it is past their bed time. You may be overwhelmed by trying to keep your family together while looking for your stop, and the sound of a sign stating its number when you're not finding it visually may really come in handy.

The busses should state their destination repeatedly every 30 seconds while their doors are open. This could be accomplished by a speaker near the front door, and one at the rear of the bus that is louder to overcome the engine noise. The lack of this is surprising considering the upgrade almost all buses received in their AV packages in the past year.

Well, I hope this not only clears things up a bit, but provides another need for the lanes. maybe you wait for the bus for 20 minutes or more, but I spend that time equally just trying to find the thing!

Ryan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom