Scooter rental and looking healthy

XxDisneyGirlxX

Im honestly at a loss trying to figure out what to do. I have an upcoming vacation in August, my parents are taking me and my 3 kids to Disney with them. Over the last month I have had several occasions where I was working or cleaning and fainted. My blood pressure drops, my pulse pressure drops and I get numbness on whole body. I still have symptoms constantly when not over exerting myself but they dont cause me to faint. It has gotten so bad I had to temporarily stop working until doctors can get to the bottom of it. Point is because of all of this I cant over exert myself becauae it seems to trigger it. As the trip is growing closer and closer while I hope they get to the bottom of this im not sure they will. Right now they think it is possibily hyperthyroidism but if so im not sure how long it will take for medication to be effective. I am 28 years old and have a slim figure, looking at me most people would think im young and healthy. My parents cant handle my 3 children alone and with how excited theyre I cant bear to let them down. I am unsure about what to do because I know renting a scooter is an option but I also know there will be many comments from people and it is slightly hard to feel like an inconvenience to everyone. Im just looking for what others would do in the same situation.

The Mom

Premium Member
Which would be a greater inconvenience? Slowing your group down and having to deal with the dirty looks from ignorant people, or suddenly fainting and everything that may entail? In your situation, I personally wouldn't give a darn about the opinion of strangers who I will never see again. Even if they are rude to you, please try to remember that their lives must be pretty sad if insulting you makes them feel better, and take the high rode by ignoring them whenever possible.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I've been going to WDW for decades. Half of those trips have required a wheelchair. And while I look perfectly healthy, there is a valid medical reason for that chair. I've gotten the side eye on more than one occasion when I've gotten out of the chair and walked on my own 2 feet. And I couldnt care less. I know, and my family knows, why I need the chair. The fact that having the chair enables us to all have a better experience (I don't slow everyone down and I'm not exhausted and in pain by midmorning) is all that matters.

Rent the ecv. And I hope you get a definitive diagnosis soon. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

OK, here is what I think about you....now did that change your life or affect you in any way at all? No, of course not. What I think is not relevant to your situation at all. What anyone else at WDW might think of you while using an ECV is equally irrelevant. Go, enjoy your trip as best you can and don't worry about it. If you need the ecv it would be silly not to use it. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Upvote 0

21stamps

OK, here is what I think about you....now did that change your life or affect you in any way at all? No, of course not. What I think is not relevant to your situation at all. What anyone else at WDW might think of you while using an ECV is equally irrelevant. Go, enjoy your trip as best you can and don't worry about it. If you need the ecv it would be silly not to use it. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

What he said.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Dont think about how you will look or what others think about your using a scooter. There are many body types and many different guests traveling in a w/c or scooter at Disney. You wont stand out. Many guests travel to WDW with a diagnosed illness and many Make a Wish kids target Disney as their trip. Everyone is going to Disney to enjoy the time with their families and make wonderful memories. You do what you need to do to make your trip the easiest for you. My DW travels in a motorized w/c, is on a vent and has a service dog with her. We go to Disney because she is treated wonderfully by everyone on property. she has never felt or been caused to feel an inconvenience to anyone. All the bus drivers, boat pilots, ride attendants, resort staff are willing to do whatever they can to make her trip a pleasure. So go with your kids and have the time of your life. Good luck on getting a medical diagnosis and treatment that can help you.

Upvote 0

DisAl

Get the scooter and enjoy the trip! Don't let what ignorant people think keep you from being able to enjoy the trip. A face plant to the sidewalk will hurt a lot more than a stare from an idiot and would ruin your whole group's trip.
My mother (87 at the time of our trip in June 2016) looks fine and can transfer from a wheelchair to get on busses or rides just fine. BUT, due to some medical problems she has walking more than a couple of hundred feet at the time is very difficult for her. She would have NEVER MADE IT with the average 7 1/2 miles a day we walked. Yes, we got a few dirty looks but she could not have made the trip without it. (Pushing the wheelchair helped me burn off some of the dining plan calories too! ;))
I don't doubt there are a few people who use scooters just so they don't have to walk, but those are they type of people who will jump lines or find some other way to cheat anyway.
If someone gives you "the look" when you get out of the chair or off the scooter just ignore them or look them in the eye and say " be thankful YOU don't need this thing!"
And finally, if you do think your are "getting in trouble" ask a CM for help. WDW is well equipped and trained to render first aid. I know there is what I would call a mini-clinic in the Magic Kingdom and I'm sure they probably have the same thing in the other parks.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Get your scooter enjoy the trip and stay safe and healthy. People and their stares and opinions are there own problems not yours and your medical issues are none of any one's business. Mt Dad is 70 years old he has had extensive back surgery (now has metal rod about 3/4 of the way up his back) and he has a prosthetic leg. He however looks young for his age and people are always staring and giving the judgy look. Its kinda funny when his pants leg moves just enough they get a glimpse of the prosthetic then they get that shocked oops I was wrong look, he used to let it bother him but has finally got to the point of who cares what they think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lisa t

I have a condition that causes low blood pressure, and often will pass out when I stand too long. It's worse in hot weather, my blood pools to my feet. My husband wheels me in a wheelchair. No one has ever commented that I look healthy or questioned me as WDW. Never seen odd looks - or maybe I just don't pay attention. Do what you need to. It helps me save what little energy I have, and that's all I care about.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I think in all the times of going to Disney only once have I heard a snotty comment about an EVC user - though when he got up and started limping they got it. So my thoughts are you won't see many looks. ECVs and Disney can be trying though and requires patience on your part for other reasons. It's also sometimes a cause for longer waits due to the way the loading of people in ECVs happens.

If you need it, get it. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for it.

Upvote 0

laddie183

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and hope you get a diagnosis soon. I once went on a girls trip with a few of my friends, one of whom had had ankle surgery six weeks prior. By the third day she could barely walk and stopped to sit at every bench we passed. We kept encouraging her to just let us rent her a wheelchair but
she resisted for the same reasons you've mentioned. She was in her twenties and perfectly healthy looking. She also said "I don't want to ruin your trip by making you push me in a wheelchair". I finally told her that she was ruining my trip because I was worrying about her. She was clearly in pain and not having fun. It was very hard to watch. After that she finally let us get her a wheelchair. No one ever said anything to us about her looking like she didn't need it and I don't even remember getting any second looks even though she was able to get in and out of the chair with no problems. And by the end of the trip she said that she wished she hadn't waited as long as she did. Please rent a scooter. I'm sure your parents don't want to worry about you having a fainting spell. And I'm sure you'll have more fun without that worry too. Why carry the weight of that worry around with you if you don't have to. Please rent the scooter and have a great time!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Don't worry about what others will think. Your first priority is your own health and wellness. By all means, get a scooter if you need one and don't give it a second thought. (I also would hope you wouldn't have to worry about any comments -- most of the conditions that require people to use scooters are invisible ones, regardless of age.)

Upvote 0

Klpalmer

I'm of similar age and I didn't have time to read all the responses here but I wouldn't think twice about seeing someone young and slender in an EVC. In fact I would assume they must really need the vehicle because why else would they put up with the hassle of renting and retrieving the device allday if they did not need it. Don't worry I'm sure no one will pay you any unwanted attention. I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation!

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

Im honestly at a loss trying to figure out what to do. I have an upcoming vacation in August, my parents are taking me and my 3 kids to Disney with them. Over the last month I have had several occasions where I was working or cleaning and fainted. My blood pressure drops, my pulse pressure drops and I get numbness on whole body. I still have symptoms constantly when not over exerting myself but they dont cause me to faint. It has gotten so bad I had to temporarily stop working until doctors can get to the bottom of it. Point is because of all of this I cant over exert myself becauae it seems to trigger it. As the trip is growing closer and closer while I hope they get to the bottom of this im not sure they will. Right now they think it is possibily hyperthyroidism but if so im not sure how long it will take for medication to be effective. I am 28 years old and have a slim figure, looking at me most people would think im young and healthy. My parents cant handle my 3 children alone and with how excited theyre I cant bear to let them down. I am unsure about what to do because I know renting a scooter is an option but I also know there will be many comments from people and it is slightly hard to feel like an inconvenience to everyone. Im just looking for what others would do in the same situation.
I am a nurse and many of my patients do not look sick but in fact are terminal ill. If you need it get the scooter and don't let our know it all society deter you. It's brutally hot in August so take care of yourself. I hope the doctor gets to the bottom of whatever is ailing you.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

Get the scooter and enjoy the trip! Don't let what ignorant people think keep you from being able to enjoy the trip. A face plant to the sidewalk will hurt a lot more than a stare from an idiot and would ruin your whole group's trip.
My mother (87 at the time of our trip in June 2016) looks fine and can transfer from a wheelchair to get on busses or rides just fine. BUT, due to some medical problems she has walking more than a couple of hundred feet at the time is very difficult for her. She would have NEVER MADE IT with the average 7 1/2 miles a day we walked. Yes, we got a few dirty looks but she could not have made the trip without it. (Pushing the wheelchair helped me burn off some of the dining plan calories too! ;))
I don't doubt there are a few people who use scooters just so they don't have to walk, but those are they type of people who will jump lines or find some other way to cheat anyway.
If someone gives you "the look" when you get out of the chair or off the scooter just ignore them or look them in the eye and say " be thankful YOU don't need this thing!"
And finally, if you do think your are "getting in trouble" ask a CM for help. WDW is well equipped and trained to render first aid. I know there is what I would call a mini-clinic in the Magic Kingdom and I'm sure they probably have the same thing in the other parks.
Great advice but I really just want to say wow and kudos to your 87 year old mother! My goodness I hope I'm still going to WDW when I'm that age!

Upvote 0

DisAl

Great advice but I really just want to say wow and kudos to your 87 year old mother! My goodness I hope I'm still going to WDW when I'm that age!
She is planning on going with us next June too! She will be one month shy of 89 when we go. We will have 4 generations from age 89 to 3.
FYI we can tell you where every restroom in every park is. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom