Sci Fi Dine-In Information/History?

CinderElly85

Original Poster
Hello! New member here, but I've been reading the forums for a few years now as a lurker :). Lots of cool people and information shared here, so thank you! Not sure how I would navigate WDW without the helpful hints. We just got back from a trip to WDW and dined at the Sci-Fi Dine-In for the first time. We were blown away at the theming and how cool it was to sit in the cars, I understand the hype! My husband is very much into cars and was noting every single detail about the car bodies when he noticed the custom "Disney" car badge on the front (he does this for every ride vehicle, haha).

I was wondering if anyone here knew any history on how they were made (my husband guesses a golf cart frame with fiberglass car body on top), or if there were any insights onto if Disney ever sold the car badges - would be a pretty neat souvenir to have for sure. Honestly, knowing any history on the place would be cool to know, as it was a highlight of the trip and I'm a big history fan!

Lilofan

I think each license plate on each Sci Fi vehicle are the initials of all of the WDI cast member who developed the dining location. Sci Fi back in the day reminds me of today's families. In Sci Fi all are glued to the big screen watching Lon Chaney or the Creature from the black lagoon . Now all faces are glued to their smartphones.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sci Fi is a very cool spot...and a bit of a throwback to a “lost era” now. Where they still valued a theme more than the minimum necessary in dining.

Its also comparatively “middle priced”. These types of places used to provide tremendous value and resulted in smiles coming out more than they have since the wretched dining plan took hold. Sadly...there aren’t many of them left.

JIMINYCR

The cars are made of fiberglass with chrome plating. The license plates are all dated 1955 to theme with the Drive in period.
Interesting story involving Sci Fi.... Many grilled chicken orders were being sent back by guests who complained that the chicken was undercooked. The chefs insisted they were cooked properly. The Imagineers realized the lighting in the dining theater that gave the impression of dining in the night was causing the chicken to look pink. So they added white light fixtures to the table lighting to balance the effect which would not detract from the atmosphere and make the chicken look cooked. (From the Imagineering Field Guide to DHS. )

macefamily

Sci Fi was always a staple when our kids were younger. To be honest, we've passed up on it our last ten visits to HS. For the menu they offer, I think it's a bit pricy. When we last visited we were not happy at all with portions or the quality of the food. I usually got a specialty salad while kids had basic burgers. Daughter and wife usually got a pasta dish. It looks like the menu changed since we last went. I remember they had a Reuben sandwich, and I also remember ordering a steak salad. When we have eaten at HS since that time, it's usually Mama Melrose's. Many times we've just stopped off at the Baseline and got a few charcutterie plates and got some flights.

CinderElly85

Original Poster
The cars are made of fiberglass with chrome plating. The license plates are all dated 1955 to theme with the Drive in period.
Interesting story involving Sci Fi.... Many grilled chicken orders were being sent back by guests who complained that the chicken was undercooked. The chefs insisted they were cooked properly. The Imagineers realized the lighting in the dining theater that gave the impression of dining in the night was causing the chicken to look pink. So they added white light fixtures to the table lighting to balance the effect which would not detract from the atmosphere and make the chicken look cooked. (From the Imagineering Field Guide to DHS. )
Thank you for the information! That is a really interesting story. It was definitely pretty dim in there, but it fits. I thought the chicken was fantastic :D

CinderElly85

Original Poster
I think each license plate on each Sci Fi vehicle are the initials of all of the WDI cast member who developed the dining location. Sci Fi back in the day reminds me of today's families. In Sci Fi all are glued to the big screen watching Lon Chaney or the Creature from the black lagoon . Now all faces are glued to their smartphones.
That's a cool fact if that's true, I'll have to look through the pictures to see if we got any of the license plates.

CinderElly85

Original Poster
Sci Fi was always a staple when our kids were younger. To be honest, we've passed up on it our last ten visits to HS. For the menu they offer, I think it's a bit pricy. When we last visited we were not happy at all with portions or the quality of the food. I usually got a specialty salad while kids had basic burgers. Daughter and wife usually got a pasta dish. It looks like the menu changed since we last went. I remember they had a Reuben sandwich, and I also remember ordering a steak salad. When we have eaten at HS since that time, it's usually Mama Melrose's. Many times we've just stopped off at the Baseline and got a few charcutterie plates and got some flights.
Baseline is my new favorite for lunch, but this past trip was the first time we tried Sci Fi after trying 50s Prime Time last visit. I think we preferred Sci-Fi (honestly the chicken tenders were the best we had in the park) and the milkshake was fantastic. I think the theming is what sold it for us, though (anything involving cars/transportation even a little bit is cool to us).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom