Sci-Fi Dine and Other Questions

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
When we visited in August 2018 we ate at the Sci Fi restaurant and the kids loved it. Back then I got a reservation without any issues. In anticipation of our visit this August I’ve had a look at available tables and over an entire week there was only 21:00 hours available.

Whilst I’ve been slightly slower to book this year (still 160 days!) this surprises me.Is it likely to be a glitch with the booking system or does booking such a restaurant 20 days late make such a difference???

Also, could anyone please help with the following:

I’ve booked Cape May for dinner as we are staying at the Beach Club. I believe seafood is its speciality but is it ok for those who aren’t mad on fish (especially kids)?

Finally, any thoughts on when Space or the new Toy Story restaurant may be open???

Thanks

HouCuseChickie

Sci Fi tends to be pretty popular. I've had issues even right at the 180 day mark as soon as ADRs open online. On our last visit, I recall settling for a less than ideal time (since it was my only option) and finally snagging a more suitable slot about a week out from our trip.

I've never eaten at Cape May, but I might look into other options if some of your party doesn't happen to be seafood lovers. It looks pretty seafood heavy in offerings from what I've seen. No clue about Toy Story, but the newest info is saying Space "should" open in April. It's been delayed so many times that I'll believe it when I see it. I'd kind of like to go in July.

Goofyque'

Lots for everyone to enjoy at Cape May. Great seafood and lots for everyone else. Scify always a tough one, take the late booking and see if you can get a better time.

No starting date yet on 220 or Toystory.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its really best to book ADR's 180 days out even if you haven't booked yet.
I haven't booked for my August 24-29 trip but I booked my ADR's 180 days out one day at a time just to ensure I had what I wanted.

You may have to be flexible with your timing.

I'd just keep checking especially once it gets a bit closer.

Space 220 still just says "opening this winter" so in theory it needs to be open by March 18th as the first day of Spring is the 19th but who knows.
We also don't know if it will be walk up only or ADR only or on the DDP or not etc.
I'm just keeping an eye out for it.

Last I've seen about Roundup Rodeo BBQ was just "sometime in 2020".

I have not eaten at Cape May and that's because I'm not a seafood fan and really there's not much that makes it worth me going.
I'm sure they have the usual kids area with nuggets, potatoes, mac n cheese... I know they also have pizza.
If that's what your kids are into then its probably worthwhile since you'll be eating your weight in seafood to balance it out lol.

Last edited:

Pooh'sBuddy

I booked Sci Fi well after our 180 days and had to settle on two ADRs for two people each at the same time. We're fine with this but hope we can get one ADR for four closer to our vacation days.

JIMINYCR

Sci -Fi is more popular now because of the crowds hitting up DHS, so it has become more critical to get ADR's in early. DHS has been lacking in places to dine anyway, but with the increase of guests pouring in , theres more competition for tables.
Cape May does have some offerings for those who arent fans of seafood. We enjoy seafood but normally get some of everything. But IMHO for the price of the meal I dont think someone looking to just dine on the non-seafood choices, especially for kids who may not eat much, would be getting a good return for the money paid out.
And everyone is waiting and watching for the first mention that Space 220 is open. When it does the Disney internet will blow up with the news. Everyone will want to get in and try the super-hyped space eatery. Like Regal Eagle recently, there will be reviews showing up on everyones site.

Hcalvert

I have found booking Sci-Fi for lunch has been easier. I have used touring plans reservation checker and only had to wait up to a few weeks to get the reservation I wanted for Sci-Fi (both lunch and dinner). As for Cape May, I never ate there, but have walked by it to get to Beaches & Cream. It had a heavy seafood aroma coming from the restaurant.

Zé_Carioca

Like others said, keep checking when its closer. I have more look finding reservations the night before etc.

For Cape May, they do have other options (I love it) but honestly what makes it worth the money is being able to eat as many crabs as you want, I do not think I would recommend paying to go only to get cheap buffet food. However, I would highly recommend the breakfast there. It has the main characters (minnie, donald etc.) in beach attire and the food is one of the best breakfast buffets imo.

Zé_Carioca

Also I don't know if you know this, but Beach Club and Yacht Club are basically the same resort and are right next to each other so I would recommend also looking at the restaurants at Yacht such as Ale and Compass and I personally enjoy Beaches & Cream.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
Thanks for the above replies, I’ll certainly keep an eye out for better availability. I’ve already found one slot for 15:55 which whilst it’s not really an established meal time, will at least mean we don’t fall asleep at the meal!

We got the “free” DDP as part of our UK based package. With our soon to be 10yo daughter I’m under no illusions that she’ll provide value for money (though I guess that’s another conversation all together).

Have also booked Raglan Road, Biergarten and Garden Grill to name just 3 as our view is we’d rather eat somewhere interesting and different given where we are.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
Also I don't know if you know this, but Beach Club and Yacht Club are basically the same resort and are right next to each other so I would recommend also looking at the restaurants at Yacht such as Ale and Compass and I personally enjoy Beaches & Cream.

Beaches & Cream is likely another I’ll keep an eye out for a decent time at. Currently it’s all very early or very late

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom