Scary Rides for a 5 year old

lnmjameson

We are going to Disney for the 1st time next Saturday. What I need to know is are their rides that I just should not take my 5 year old on. Her big sisters are already scarey her by what their friends have told them. I don't want her to miss out on anything.:veryconfu

Also, are there any attractions closed mid January?

General Grizz

Originally posted by lnmjameson
We are going to Disney for the 1st time next Saturday. What I need to know is are their rides that I just should not take my 5 year old on. Her big sisters are already scarey her by what their friends have told them. I don't want her to miss out on anything.:veryconfu

ATTRACTIONS THAT A 5 YEAR OLD MAY BE SCARED OF:

Any roller coasters/thrill rides..
* Splash Mountain
* Space Mountain
* Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
* Alien Encounter
* Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
* Test Track
* Tower of Terror
* Dinosaur
* Maelstrom
- Although your child may like Goofy's Barnstormer
Snow White's Adventures..the thing scares me!
The Haunted Mansion

That should be about it...

Timekeeper, Carousel of Progress, and Journey into Your Imagination may be closed.

Upvote 0

wdwrules

if i had a 5 year old i might skip(but probably not)

1. tower of terror..........elevator that drops

2. rock n rollercoaster ...if shes afraid of rollercoasters in the dark

3. ive also seen a couple of kids cry at the end of splash mountain because there is a pretty steep drop towards the end

4. alien encounter can be a little to intense for kids to:)

Upvote 0

General Grizz

Originally posted by wdwrules
if i had a 5 year old i might skip(but probably not)

1. tower of terror..........elevator that drops

2. rock n rollercoaster ...if shes afraid of rollercoasters in the dark

3. ive also seen a couple of kids cry at the end of splash mountain because there is a pretty steep drop towards the end:)

If there were no drops, Splash would be perfect.

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

My kids are now 11, 8 and 7 but have all been to the world when they where five, the only thing they have ever had a problem with is Alien Encounter, they have all been terrifed, the 11 year old who is quite a tough cookie still won't go back on.
I would think the height restriction might keep your 5 year old off R'n'R, my 7 year old still didn't make it this time, much to his disgust, but at least its a good excuse to go again.:lol:

Upvote 0

General Grizz

Re: Tower Of Terror

How bad is Tower of Terror? This one has my 10 year old scared already!:cry:

A 10 year old may do well on ToT...but not a five-year old! You will scream no matter HOW old you are... :animwink:

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

Re: Tower Of Terror

How bad is Tower of Terror? This one has my 10 year old scared already!:cry:

It's been my youngest favourite since he was four he absolutely loves it and could ride it all day. On our last visit he was sat in front of a huge guy who was really scared, he turned to him and said you'll be ok, just keep your eues open and don't hold on.
The guy was so impressed he bought the photo just to tell his mates about the coolest kid in Disney:sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Debbie

My seven year old is chicken of Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, big Thunder and Haunted Mansion, and Alien Encounter among others. My husband and I do a parent swap or if my In-laws are with us, they keep him. It is nice though when you have somebody who will sit with the little ones so you can ride with your spouse once in a while.

Upvote 0

tmli

It depends on the child. My five year old son last year was so scared we didn't even get pass the entrance of Snow White or Pirates of the caribean. He seems to be afraid of anything dark. We'll see if he's a little better next week when we go. My only advice is let them go at their own pace, I find my son is a lot braver by the second and third day. I've seen some kids pretty traumatized by the end of a "fun"ride the parents dragged them on. I don't do that -- therapy bills are too high after you get home.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

My nephew is 3 and he's planning on going on Splash, Big Thunder, Test Track, and Dinosaur this year. He went on stuff like Maelstrom and the Haunted Mansion at age two...a disney fan at heart:) His mom won't let him go on the Tower of Terror though...even though he is 40 inches tall...He obviously won't be going on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. My sister is going to disney for her honeymoon in April :) I want to go with her (two trips to disney in two months!), but I don't think she'd like that :lol: :cool: :king:
Kyle

Upvote 0

Pan

Do not take the kids into Alien Encounter. It is pure psychological terror. In fact, no one under 13 should be allowed in. You should take a pass on Snow White. It's not that entertaining and seems to scare the hell out of little kids. Maybe after several other rides you could try it. Great Movie Ride should be skipped as well-the scene from Alien in pretty intense. Otherwise the height restrictions will probably keep her off the coasters that would scare her. We're going in 3 weeks with a 5yo, 3yo, and 11 mo old and were there 2 years ago with the 2 older ones.

Splash Mountain is closed.:(

Upvote 0

Nelstone

We just came back (3 families, kids ages 7,6,6,5,4,4,2). One word of warning, do NOT heed the warnings posted in front of the Peter Pan ride in MK. I guess because it is a little dark while you fly around in a floating pirate ship, kids have been scared. We guessed that someone threatened a lawsuit because the warning seemed odd. If you are worried, do the Pooh ride first (same concept, not as dark).

Upvote 0

NowInc

Re: Re: Tower Of Terror

Originally posted by grizzlyhall

A 10 year old may do well on ToT...but not a five-year old! You will scream no matter HOW old you are... :animwink:

LoL..you sure about that? Im a big kid (22) and I dont scream..

However...a 5 year old would freak out on that ride...it is "scary" even before the drop for a kid THAT young to see ghosts and to be in the dark....

10 year old...he may be able to wing it...theres a "chicken" line that is right before ou get on the elevators so you can skip it after the pre-show just in case he changes his mind at the last minute.

Upvote 0

dmitchell

We just returned from DisneyLAND with a 5 year old (well, 5 and 3/4, as he is quick to point out) and here's how we did (my apologies in advance - I know some of these rides don't exist at WDW)

---Terrified---
StarTours

---Disliked---
Goofy's Roller Coaster - did not like (although my 3 yr old liked it, so go figure)

---Would Not Ride---
Space Mountain,Splash Mountain

---Liked---
Dumbo,Peter Pan,Mr. Toad,Teacups,Alice,Snow White,Carousel,TomSawyer,TikiRoom,Small World,Autopia

---Mixed---
Pirates of the Carribean - Scared 1st time, ok 2nd, liked 3rd
Jungle Cruise - A little scared 1st time
Haunted Mansion - Scared first time, then liked it

---FAVORITE RIDES---
Small World
TeaCups
Autopia

Dave

Upvote 0

hadleybarth

I would agree with most of what everyone else had said. Including not to worry about Pan (my VERY timid 5 year old loves Peter Pan's Flight) and to absolutly avoid Alien Encounter (even with the older two if I were you).

If you want a chance to ride a few coasters as a group with the older kids (rather than kid swapping) you may consider putting your youngest into the Neverland Club at the Polynesian for a few hours. It is a bit pricy ($8 an hour--although that does include food if she's there during meal itme), but just about every kid I've known who has been to that particular babysittingn club has loved it. They do a terrific job (MUCH better than any other club on the property). You do not have to be staying there to use this service. Anyway, it is a thought.

Have fun:animwink:

Upvote 0

General Grizz

Enjoyed "TikiRoom"....

Whoever is visting with young uns...our Tiki Room now has Uh-Ooa...the devil animatronic! :lol: Scares the heck of the kids...don't take em! ;) lol...Just kidding, though the NEW Tiki Room here in WDW is a whole lot more obnoxious (with Iago... :hurl:) and makes fun of Walt's classic...

THAT CHILDREN STILL LIKE! (See the list above on the "Liked" section!)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom