Scared I’ll get fired

Lyasey98

Original Poster
I recently started working in the back stage offices in WDW. The basic requirements of my role is assisting guests over the phone. So basically what had happened was...

It was the end of my shift and I received a call needing help with something that was entirely out of my departments abilities and knowledge, but I felt inclined to help. So I was on the phone attempting to talk and walk her through how to fix her issue for about a half an hour or so before I came to the conclusion it was out of my abilities.
So I set up a warm transfer to the proper department (warm transfer is sending the phone call over with me on the line to speak to the new cast member first). The warning message said the wait time would be 25 minutes. Not wanting to wait on hold for 25 minutes for another department, I offered the woman the phone number to call herself, where she declined and insisted WE would wait on the phone to speak to the department. I was beginning to get aggravated and one of my coworkers saw this and asked what was going on, and thought I had the guest on mute I said “this guest wants me to wait on hold for 25 minutes, and I’m not doing it”
She of course became very upset and accused me of not wanting to assist her, and I proceeding to deny that saying I am here assisting as best I can currently. Came to find out she assumed if I did not sit on the phone with her the call would be dropped entirely and she would have to call back, which I explained that was not the case. In an attempt to rectify my mistake, I reached out to the department via email and was able to have a cast member talk me through how to assist her (we stayed on the phone for another half hour) and I ended up being able to help.

I felt it necessary to self report the incident, and had been talked to by my leader warning me that this will have to be brought to Quality Monitoring attention. I asked for worse case scenario and my leader was unable to provide any information or comfort, if there was any to be given. I asked my coworkers for advice and they insist I should not worry, especially since I self reported and it is my first incident, I’m fairly new to the position (less than 2 months) and have 97% average survey score otherwise.

I’m very stressed about the possible outcomes however and am not sure what to think :(

Last edited:

Disorbust

The whole fear of getting termed culture at Disney I think is a bit overdone. You made a mistake, your human, and you reported it. It does not sound like a one and done reason to be termed. I would think a "Warning" or whatever they have there would be the worse. Guest relations is so hard! My DD roomate comes home and just want to pull her hair out every night!

DisneyJoe

and thing (I assume this should say thinking?) I had the guest on mute I said “this guest wants me to wait on hold for 25 minutes, and I’m not doing it”

If I was your leader and this statement came to my attention, and since it was your first incident, I would give you a warning.

My advice is to not air these frustrations at work and definitely not with a guest on hold.

StarWarsGirl

Okay, first, take a deep breath and think through the situation.

You made a mistake. It happens at work, especially at our age (I'm the same age as you; my boss is constantly telling me to calm down because I stress out over mistakes more than she does. I'm learning).

You realized it, and you reported it. Most people (and this is experience working with a large company) HATE owning up to their mistakes. But nothing shows more maturity than saying, "I screwed up, and I'm sorry." At least in my opinion.

Companies spend a lot of money recruiting, hiring, and training employees. Their general preference is to not have to do it more than they have to.

You made one mistake. You're human. You're probably not the first to do it. You'll probably get a warning. You'll learn from it

And next time, keep pen and paper at your desk and write down a comment to a coworker instead of saying it aloud. My one coworker and I have interesting IM conversations...

Lyasey98

Original Poster
Okay, first, take a deep breath and think through the situation.

You made a mistake. It happens at work, especially at our age (I'm the same age as you; my boss is constantly telling me to calm down because I stress out over mistakes more than she does. I'm learning).

You realized it, and you reported it. Most people (and this is experience working with a large company) HATE owning up to their mistakes. But nothing shows more maturity than saying, "I screwed up, and I'm sorry." At least in my opinion.

Companies spend a lot of money recruiting, hiring, and training employees. Their general preference is to not have to do it more than they have to.

You made one mistake. You're human. You're probably not the first to do it. You'll probably get a warning. You'll learn from it

And next time, keep pen and paper at your desk and write down a comment to a coworker instead of saying it aloud. My one coworker and I have interesting IM conversations...
I definitely learned my lesson on making any comments that’s for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom