SC boy, 6, uses Disney World money to help hurricane evacuees

jklakeview

And I hope they give him a free trip. He deserves it.
IDK. The evil side in me says that his parents knew that the little money that he saved from his bday party wasn’t enough for the high Disney prices and said, “Hey I bet if you help out with your money, the papers could find out, and Disney would give you a few trip”. Oh yes, and also tell the papers how you would love t go to Animal Kingdom and have a Lion King party. Cmon, I know it’s cynical but tell me you don’t think that this is a possibility. If I were Disney I’d give him a bunch of merchandise and a nice certificate saying “I made a difference”, but I wouldn’t send him on vacation. Haha

No Name

IDK. The evil side in me says that his parents knew that the little money that he saved from his bday party wasn’t enough for the high Disney prices and said, “Hey I bet if you help out with your money, the papers could find out, and Disney would give you a few trip”. Oh yes, and also tell the papers how you would love t go to Animal Kingdom and have a Lion King party. Cmon, I know it’s cynical but tell me you don’t think that this is a possibility. If I were Disney I’d give him a bunch of merchandise and a nice certificate saying “I made a difference”, but I wouldn’t send him on vacation. Haha

Oh I absolutely agree, and in fact, I almost guarantee there was some form of what you describe involved. However, the six year old himself doesn’t seem like a master schemer, and I doubt his parents so blatantly told him their plan. So I think he’d still deserves a vacation for doing this, regardless of what parental forces were involved. Making a sacrifice like that is very tough on a child. And helping people in need is a good habit. I can’t imagine myself using birthday money to help others at 6 years old regardless of the circumstances.

But come to think of it, his parents would have to go on the trip with him. And we don’t know the full situation, and Disney doesn’t want to get duped, so some free merch might indeed be the best option.

KBLovedDisney

In a way, I pictured this too because of the world we live in. It is really sad that this may very well be a possibility.

prberk

Original Poster

AugieMorosco

Well, I'm sure the cynics will be out in force, but Disney did respond with a free vacation, and they came to his birthday party. I think it's cool.

I used to enjoy the feel-good stories, but the problem is that giving up the money to help someone is a feel-good because of the sacrifice. The question remains: would this kid have voluntarily given it up knowing he would really have to sacrifice and not get the accolades and rewards? Being rewarded with more than you had to start undoes that entirely.

eliza61nyc

No, I really didn't think that. Yikes I hope I never get that cynical and jaded .

Man, some time a nice gesture is simply that, a nice gesture.

DisneyCane

I used to enjoy the feel-good stories, but the problem is that giving up the money to help someone is a feel-good because of the sacrifice. The question remains: would this kid have voluntarily given it up knowing he would really have to sacrifice and not get the accolades and rewards? Being rewarded with more than you had to start undoes that entirely.
I don't know. If a 6 year old is scheming at that level then I will sign him now to be a CEO when he graduates college. There's a pretty good chance the kid genuinely wanted to help people and gave up his birthday money and then his parents realized that if they could publicise it, Disney would likely respond with a free trip.

I'm normally very cynical but I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt here.

AugieMorosco

I don't know. If a 6 year old is scheming at that level then I will sign him now to be a CEO when he graduates college. There's a pretty good chance the kid genuinely wanted to help people and gave up his birthday money and then his parents realized that if they could publicise it, Disney would likely respond with a free trip.

I'm normally very cynical but I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt here.

The kid, I agree. The parents are where I would question it. I'm clearly cynical as well, but ultimately I'm glad it went how it did. It cost Disney nothing, it is great PR for them, if the kid and his parents were sincere, then what a great way to repay the kindness. At the very worst, some lousy people got a free trip and no one was hurt.

jklakeview

The kid, I agree. The parents are where I would question it. I'm clearly cynical as well, but ultimately I'm glad it went how it did. It cost Disney nothing, it is great PR for them, if the kid and his parents were sincere, then what a great way to repay the kindness. At the very worst, some lousy people got a free trip and no one was hurt.
I did not mean to say that the young child thought up the plot but I do believe that the parents knew what they were doing. The question is, could this child have done it without the press getting involved? Who actually notified the press? Also, the article says "Boy who cancelled trip to help hurricane evacuees" So this is why I hate the press, how did this go from giving up his bday money for snacks and water to cancelling a trip?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom