SAVI - Stanza V: Team S.E.A. - Phantasialand

spacemt354

Chili's
They were out of China before things started getting bad, so hopefully there’s no problem.

Maybe two restaurants, one higher end table service overlooking the ride and one elsewhere for more casual dining. In both cases, it makes sense to offer a broad selection of continental cuisine with an emphasis on German. Maybe some Turkish food too, since it’s tasty and Munchausen has many adventures among the Ottomans. And I insist that you serve strudel.

1*oFLrNYlAuL_BWq8bD4afcg.jpeg
main-qimg-022f458e6b51ee169dff6cf67c835553

Disney Dad 3000

Any thoughts on what to do with that entrance? Not a ton of photos/videos for reference beyond the vantage points I can see in google earth.

Keeping the walkover makes sense, it's just a really tight space there and as soon as you walk in stuff is there. Maybe something that fits the theming of the facades when you enter.

Wonder if we should have the buses drop across the street in the parking lot and have everyone make the walkover? More space to build up on that 2nd level crossover to create a grander entry for everyone coming in

D Hulk

Any thoughts on what to do with that entrance? Not a ton of photos/videos for reference beyond the vantage points I can see in google earth.

Keeping the walkover makes sense, it's just a really tight space there and as soon as you walk in stuff is there. Maybe something that fits the theming of the facades when you enter.

Wonder if we should have the buses drop across the street in the parking lot and have everyone make the walkover? More space to build up on that 2nd level crossover to create a grander entry for everyone coming in
If we need more space to build out a fantastic entrance, then let's reroute the buses and force the crossover.

Can't find any entrance photos online, which is a testament to how bland it is. My first thought was Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, but they already copied that elsewhere in Phantasialand.

So searching "Germany gates" turns up the Porta Nigra, the region's largest Roman entry gate:

Trier_Porta_Nigra_BW_1.JPG

It seems to fit the park's style. Just add a dimensional logo to the front, widen/englarge the archways. What do you think?

D Hulk

BTW, I wrote up a ton this morning. Did the coasters, the land description, the extra attractions on the east side. Won't post it yet because it isn't proofread and I'll want to include some images, but our project is looking strong.

Some notes if you need: Named the new mini-land Munchausen Palast (Munchausen Palace), and I'm considering it a sub-land of Fantasy. The RMC coaster I named Rakete, and the GCI coaster I named Schwarzwald. Do we have a name yet for the dark ride?

I'm picking up the refugees soon, so I won't get any more work done today. Be well.

Disney Dad 3000

If we need more space to build out a fantastic entrance, then let's reroute the buses and force the crossover.

Can't find any entrance photos online, which is a testament to how bland it is. My first thought was Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, but they already copied that elsewhere in Phantasialand.

So searching "Germany gates" turns up the Porta Nigra, the region's largest Roman entry gate:

It seems to fit the park's style. Just add a dimensional logo to the front, widen/englarge the archways. What do you think?
Glad it wasnt just me on the entrance pics. A dry well.

Porta Nigra is pretty cool. We made a day trip there from our hostel in Bacharach. The gate is fairly imposing, and then we saw a croc stand in the courtyard below it. Talk about killing the mood.

Could probably duplicate those archways on the 2nd level or just remove the 2nd level wall between the two rounded ends for a wide, open plaza through the gate for the crossover to go to. Gives each level a little different entry.

Disney Dad 3000

BTW, I wrote up a ton this morning. Did the coasters, the land description, the extra attractions on the east side. Won't post it yet because it isn't proofread and I'll want to include some images, but our project is looking strong.

Some notes if you need: Named the new mini-land Munchausen Palast (Munchausen Palace), and I'm considering it a sub-land of Fantasy. The RMC coaster I named Rakete, and the GCI coaster I named Schwarzwald. Do we have a name yet for the dark ride?

I'm picking up the refugees soon, so I won't get any more work done today. Be well.
Good deal was going ask about the land description and the rest. Thanks for knocking that and the other items out.
No name on the ride at the moment. Maybe something simple like journey to the moon, but will play with it.

Disney Dad 3000

went through my old pics and found a good dead on shot from the opposite side of the gate so you can see the look from the other side, though the rounded bits are nice on yours.
100_0199.JPG

from on the gate looking towards the direction of your pic, a somewhat similar scene to the park so think you're on to something?

100_0197.JPG

and just so you don't think i'm crazy...haha
one of these days i'll have to start a thread of all my pics of nuns doing fun things across Europe
100_0205.JPG

D Hulk

Here is my work-in-progress write-up. Pics still need to be done. Also descriptions of entrance and some of @Disney Dad 3000 's stuff.

PIC TBD

PHANTASIALAND

Our next destination was Phantasialand, an extremely small yet extremely charming theme park in Bruhl, Germany. It was recommended to our group by @orlando678-, who had been here many times before, but not since Phantasialand’s recent $250 million expansion.

Phantasialand has practiced a recent trend of adding highly-themed mini-lands to improve their existing lands. They’re all Germanic towns set in different genres. In 2016 they added Klugheim to their Mystery area – creating a dark medieval fantasy world anchored by the Taron. In summer of 2020, Rookburgh was added to Berlin – this steampunk mini-land was headlined by F.L.Y.

PIC ENTRANCE

NEW ENTRANCE

[INSERT ENTRANCE WRITE-UP]

PIC MAP?

MUNCHAUSEN PALAST

Following the trend of Klugheim and Rookburgh is Munchausen Palast, which has been added to the underdeveloped Fantasy region! Another German town, anoter genre! This detailed new area takes inspiration from the German folk hero Baron Munchausen. The park advertises it as “Tall Tales in the Age of Reason!” It’s a really clever theme for this park. Baron Munchausen somehow bridges the steampunk stylings of Rookburgh with the storybook aesthetic of Fantasy (and its other mini-land, Wuze Town). The theme is quintessentially German, detailing the exploits of an 18th century nobleman/madman who – among other adventures – flew a hot air balloon to the Moon. That story is told in an amazing dark ride, [NAME OF DARK RIDE].

PIC?

Munchausen’s scientific inventions (like his rocket trains) get represented by a new roller coaster, Rakete (German for “rocket”). This is the world’s first dueling RMC T-Rex single rail coaster! Rakete completes Phantasialand’s collection of mega-thrillers like Taron, F.L.Y., and Black Mamba, bringing balance to the park’s west side. Phantasialan has now become a sort of Mecca for coaster enthusiasts, including our own @TheOriginalTiki – who later said that Rakete far outclassed Discovery Kingdom’s own T-Rex coaster.

According to @orlando678-, Fantasy remained empty for so long due to building restrictions. Much of the land’s far perimeter directly abuts against neghborhoods. Phantasialand has ingeniously solved this dilemma by enclosing nearly all of Munchausen Palast indoors. This eliminates noise complaints. By draining much of Fantasy’s lagoon and building below-grade (something done a lot already in the park), Phantasialand’s designers avoided height issues. They even turned their mega-structure’s rooftops, as seen by the neighbors, into a charming, meandering green roof.

PIC GREEN ROOF

From park guests’ perspective, the building’s inner façade is an intricate Rococo palace (or palast), gently nestled into Fantasy’s rolling green hills. Part of the lagoon remains at the palace’s base, creating picturesque reflections. Phantasialand’s old splash battle ride, Wakobato, is still here in the marshlands…slightly rerouted. Everywhere, rides and walkways overlapped on different levels, which we would learn is a trick Phantasialand utilizes all over the place to maximize their limited acreage.

An enclosed pathway loops through Munchausen Palast, circling the lagoon. One lengthy section carries guests down an intricate, multicolored, fantastical Rococo hallway. Phantasialand’s textures and details are astounding! Grand flanking window bays look out onto the lagoon on one side and provide views of Rakete on the other. An enclosed ballroom “plaza” sits at the far end, where we found most of the Palast’s attractions – plus dining, retail, and a flat ride.

The remainder of Fantasy has been improved as well. Phantasialand has removed a massive show building which once sat west of Wuze Town. It housed Hollywood Tour and Crazy Bats, two of the park’s oldest and most outdated attractions. Where that once stood, now there’s a wonderful GCI wooden coaster called Schwarzwald. Schwarzwald seems to serve the same purpose as Crazy Bats – only much better – by giving families a shared coaster experience. It’s nice to see Phantasialand receive a woodie; it really ties the park together!

PIC RAKETE

RAKETE

Our first ride of the day, naturally, was Rakete. It tells the story of a rocket race between Baron Munchausen and his rival Baron Raspe. It’s actually two dueling/racing roller coasters, Rakete Munchausen and Rakete Raspe.

The queue through Munchausen’s laboratories provided us with views of the ride to come. It excited some and frightened others! Golden, riveted rocket trains glided over the single-rain track, through a stylized indoors world. It looked like a Rococo painting of the German countryside – extremely stylized, with oil paint clouds and fantastical period architecture. Rockwork was inspired by Extersteine or Bastei, two famous German sandstone monuments. Phantasialand’s rockwork is often favorably compared to Disney’s (I mean, look at Taron’s basalt columns!) and they’ve outdone themselves here. I think the indoors “restriction” let their imaginations really run wild!

The ride, or rides, are just as wild! I mean, it’s an RMC, what would you expect? It’s calm enough going up the lift hill tunnel (inside a brass cannon). Trains ride side-by-side, so you get to taunt your opponents. @AceAstro rode opposite me, and I couldn’t stop making dumb faces at him!

PIC TBD?

After a turnaround, trains plummeted down a near-vertical drop into that rocky painterly world! One train fell into the open mouth of a gigantic catfish, and the other into a gigantic crocodile. @Disney Dad 3000, who loves German folklore, tells me this is straight from Munchausen’s adventures. The rest of Rakete is sort of a blur. The two trains spun around each other many, many times. We did a “high five” in an overbanked turn. It feels like you can grab the other riders! The trains performed corkscrews. Each train did a “dive stall” inversion over the other train, running upside-down for a lengthy straightaway with some really insane hangtime! The sensation was sort of like Twisted Colossus (when dueling, which is never nowadays) merged with the buttery smoothness of RailBlazer.

I’d have to ride Rakete a few more times – and I rerode it four times already! – but I’d say RMC has built yet another Top Ten roller coaster! (Nothing will ever top Steel Vengeance.)

PIC?

[DARK RIDE]

[PLACE HERE DESCRIPTIONS OF DARK RIDE, BARON’S WALTZ TEACUPS RIDE, RESTAURANTS & RETAIL]

PIC SCHWARZWALD

SCHWARZWALD

After our stomachs had settled a little from our meal, we resumed our thrill-seeking on Schwarzwald. This is a GCI wooden coaster set outdoors overlooking the Rococo facades of Munchausen Palast. Schwarzwald – which is named after Germany’s Black Forest – continues the folkloric themes of nearby Wuze Town. In appearance, it feels like a dwarf’s burrow or something. It’s the family-friendly alternative to Rakete, and the storybook appearance helps to make that point.

The look of a wooden coaster blends in really well with Phantasialand’s aesthetic, especially since they detailed the ride to look like an oversized hand-carved cuckoo clock. Schwarzwald is a joy simply to watch from off-ride, especially with all the fairy tale décor relocated from Wakobato. The wooden tracks meander along rolling grassy knolls – think Hobbiton. There is subtle elevation change throughout, but generally Schwarzwald is a terrain coaster.

PIC TBD

It is incredibly fun to ride as well, like any GCI creation. @Evilgidgit compared it favorably to Wicker Man at Alton Towers. Schwarzwald's queue simply curlicues its way through the pastoral wood sprite setting. The loading station is like the interior of some magnificent cuckoo clock, which is completed by a ticking countdown mechanism which goes off as the train leaves. Carved oak gnomes on a little device bid riders farewell.

Then we head up the lift hill, which is entirely indoors – this is a pragmatic decision, since otherwise our screams would bother the neighbors and we’d get unsightly views outside of the park. Instead we rose through a dirt tunnel full of tree roots, and weren’t even made aware of the ride’s relative height upon the first gradual drop. That’s also inside a speed tunnel, a lot like the opener of Gold Striker, and like that ride it’s actually more fun this way! When we finally emerged from the interiors onto the wildly winding raceway outside, that sensation of uncontrollable speed was unmistakable. Schwarzwald has that barely-tamed feeling of chaos common to so many wooden coasters, and I’ve always loved that jittery thrill.

PIC TBD

It’s hard to keep your bearings on-ride, since the track doubles and triples and quadruples up on itself the whole way through. One highlight involved a station fly-by early on. Other highlights include further speed tunnels, and quick “headchopper” moments as the train rocketed underneath arched tree trunks and twisting vines! I cannot wait for a POV video to appear on YouTube, because this ride is a visual masterpiece.

Phantasialand is famed for their compact coasters, and Schwarzwald is no exception. It’s so tiny, a little extra space remained in between it and Wuze Town. Well, they had to throw something in there. They chose Die Autofahrt, a classic Antique Cars ride – think Autopia with jalopies, but soooooo much better – which was getting lots of attention from the families in the area. It also got a lot of attention from our group for its gigglesome name! Die Autofahrt is a quaint, minor ride, simply a tour through more of that exquisite Schwarzwald scenery.

PIC TBD

OTHER ADDITIONS

All in all, we spent a good half day exploring Munchausen Palast and the improved Fantasy. Eventually we made our way over to Phantasialand’s east side to experience Phantasialand’s older rides. Even then we were mighty impressed! It seems that the recent improvements made it to this side as well!

The “Deep in Africa” land had once been underutilized. Black Mamba (a B&M inverted coaster) was its only ride! But now Africa has two more! One is Nkwazi, a simple flat ride. Okay, about that name. Apparently it’s the African Chewa word for “eagle,” which covers the ride’s theme – stunning birds circling above the Mali-esque prairie. Nkwazi is a very simple flyer ride – the sort where riders control their own tail fin and determine their eagle’s sway – but it is simply just pure unassuming awesome fun. A great little addition!

PIC SAVANNAH SYSTEM

Better still, Africa has expanded into the eastern portion of the Mexico area. Mostly this was so they could replace the Silverado Theater with Savannah Flights, Phantasialand’s first screen simulator. It’s their Soarin’, sort of. It’s honestly a better, more immersive experience. It really felt like we were sailing in hot air balloons over the Serengeti! The animal footage, the 4D effects, the scents! It all fused perfectly…and on a budget!

PIC SERENGETI BALLOONS

Thank the Intamin balloon simulator system. We climbed aboard balloon benches and were lifted into the air, legs dangling. The benches sailed majestically through a 360 degree CircleVision-style theater. We flew past herds of zebra, lion prides, more species than I can name. I even once lifted up my legs to avoid an elephant’s trunk, the effect was so convincing! Savannah Flights is a family-friendly expansion which really completes Africa.

PIC RIKSCHA

The Chinatown area remains a little forgotten in comparison. I’m guessing money or space ran out a little here, though it’s hard to complain after such a wonderful day. The only noteworthy change was Verzauberte Rikscha (“Enchanted Rickshaw”), a replacement for the funky old Geister Rikscha. It was once a Chinese-themed Haunted Mansion ripoff. Now it’s a playful trackless dark ride! I guess they’re using a relatively cheaper wire-embedded ride system, like we saw on Efteling’s Symbolica, because it’s amazing how this could be done on its small budget. Our magical rickshaws glided past many scenes straight out of ancient Chinese mythology (think Monkey King, or water dragons). Due to branching paths, we had to ride it several times to see everything.

We did a ton more over the course of our day, of course. We rode Taron, Chiapas, F.L.Y.…okay, we rode everything! I would give more detail on this section of the trip, but I feel like I’ve gushed enough already. The only reason we were able to complete everything was because of light crowds. The on-site hotels were mighty tempting! Phantasialand is small but it is mesmerizing. Its latest attractions have brought the entire park up to the high standard set by Kleugheim, bringing balance and beauty. Phantasialand is truly a world-class destination. Highly recommended!

BUDGET

[INSERT FINALIZED BUDGET HERE]

Disney Dad 3000

Merging our stuff here @D Hindley . This is a rough version of my stuff and may need a few edits. Probably needs a team reference or two at least on my end.

PIC TBD

PHANTASIALAND

Our next destination was Phantasialand, an extremely small yet extremely charming theme park in Bruhl, Germany. It was recommended to our group by @orlando678-, who had been here many times before, but not since Phantasialand’s recent $250 million expansion.

Phantasialand has practiced a recent trend of adding highly-themed mini-lands to improve their existing lands. They’re all Germanic towns set in different genres. In 2016 they added Klugheim to their Mystery area – creating a dark medieval fantasy world anchored by the Taron. In summer of 2020, Rookburgh was added to Berlin – this steampunk mini-land was headlined by F.L.Y.

PIC ENTRANCE

NEW ENTRANCE

PIC MAP?

MUNCHAUSEN PALAST

Following the trend of Klugheim and Rookburgh is Munchausen Palast, which has been added to the underdeveloped Fantasy region! Another German town, anoter genre! This detailed new area takes inspiration from the German folk hero Baron Munchausen. The park advertises it as “Tall Tales in the Age of Reason!” It’s a really clever theme for this park. Baron Munchausen somehow bridges the steampunk stylings of Rookburgh with the storybook aesthetic of Fantasy (and its other mini-land, Wuze Town). The theme is quintessentially German, detailing the exploits of an 18th century nobleman/madman who – among other adventures – flew a hot air balloon to the Moon. That story is told in an amazing dark ride, [NAME OF DARK RIDE].

PIC?

Munchausen’s scientific inventions (like his rocket trains) get represented by a new roller coaster, Rakete (German for “rocket”). This is the world’s first dueling RMC T-Rex single rail coaster! Rakete completes Phantasialand’s collection of mega-thrillers like Taron, F.L.Y., and Black Mamba, bringing balance to the park’s west side. Phantasialan has now become a sort of Mecca for coaster enthusiasts, including our own @TheOriginalTiki – who later said that Rakete far outclassed Discovery Kingdom’s own T-Rex coaster.

According to @orlando678-, Fantasy remained empty for so long due to building restrictions. Much of the land’s far perimeter directly abuts against neghborhoods. Phantasialand has ingeniously solved this dilemma by enclosing nearly all of Munchausen Palast indoors. This eliminates noise complaints. By draining much of Fantasy’s lagoon and building below-grade (something done a lot already in the park), Phantasialand’s designers avoided height issues. They even turned their mega-structure’s rooftops, as seen by the neighbors, into a charming, meandering green roof.

PIC GREEN ROOF

From park guests’ perspective, the building’s inner façade is an intricate Rococo palace (or palast), gently nestled into Fantasy’s rolling green hills. Part of the lagoon remains at the palace’s base, creating picturesque reflections. Phantasialand’s old splash battle ride, Wakobato, is still here in the marshlands…slightly rerouted. Everywhere, rides and walkways overlapped on different levels, which we would learn is a trick Phantasialand utilizes all over the place to maximize their limited acreage.

An enclosed pathway loops through Munchausen Palast, circling the lagoon. One lengthy section carries guests down an intricate, multicolored, fantastical Rococo hallway. Phantasialand’s textures and details are astounding! Grand flanking window bays look out onto the lagoon on one side and provide views of Rakete on the other. An enclosed ballroom “plaza” sits at the far end, where we found most of the Palast’s attractions – plus dining, retail, and a flat ride.

The remainder of Fantasy has been improved as well. Phantasialand has removed a massive show building which once sat west of Wuze Town. It housed Hollywood Tour and Crazy Bats, two of the park’s oldest and most outdated attractions. Where that once stood, now there’s a wonderful GCI wooden coaster called Schwarzwald. Schwarzwald seems to serve the same purpose as Crazy Bats – only much better – by giving families a shared coaster experience. It’s nice to see Phantasialand receive a woodie; it really ties the park together!

PIC RAKETE

RAKETE

Our first ride of the day, naturally, was Rakete. It tells the story of a rocket race between Baron Munchausen and his rival Baron Raspe. It’s actually two dueling/racing roller coasters, Rakete Munchausen and Rakete Raspe.

The queue through Munchausen’s laboratories provided us with views of the ride to come. It excited some and frightened others! Golden, riveted rocket trains glided over the single-rain track, through a stylized indoors world. It looked like a Rococo painting of the German countryside – extremely stylized, with oil paint clouds and fantastical period architecture. Rockwork was inspired by Extersteine or Bastei, two famous German sandstone monuments. Phantasialand’s rockwork is often favorably compared to Disney’s (I mean, look at Taron’s basalt columns!) and they’ve outdone themselves here. I think the indoors “restriction” let their imaginations really run wild!

The ride, or rides, are just as wild! I mean, it’s an RMC, what would you expect? It’s calm enough going up the lift hill tunnel (inside a brass cannon). Trains ride side-by-side, so you get to taunt your opponents. @AceAstro rode opposite me, and I couldn’t stop making dumb faces at him!

PIC TBD?

After a turnaround, trains plummeted down a near-vertical drop into that rocky painterly world! One train fell into the open mouth of a gigantic catfish, and the other into a gigantic crocodile. @Disney Dad 3000, who loves German folklore, tells me this is straight from Munchausen’s adventures. The rest of Rakete is sort of a blur. The two trains spun around each other many, many times. We did a “high five” in an overbanked turn. It feels like you can grab the other riders! The trains performed corkscrews. Each train did a “dive stall” inversion over the other train, running upside-down for a lengthy straightaway with some really insane hangtime! The sensation was sort of like Twisted Colossus (when dueling, which is never nowadays) merged with the buttery smoothness of RailBlazer.

I’d have to ride Rakete a few more times – and I rerode it four times already! – but I’d say RMC has built yet another Top Ten roller coaster! (Nothing will ever top Steel Vengeance.)

PIC?

After numerous turns on Rakete, we literally had to drag @D Hindley away from the darned thing, we headed off further into the palace. While we could have ridden it many more times, we just had a day here, and wanted to make sure we caught all of the new additions and updates to the park.

This is going to sound like a broken record, and you are probably going to get tired of hearing it, but there is so much to look at in this place. So many details, oddities and grandeur really capturing the imagination. We passed by Das Observatorium (The Observatory), we will be dining there later thanks to a reservation from our good buddy @spacemt354 who couldn’t join us on this trip, and came upon what appeared to be what was transitioning to an exit of the palace

Eine verrückte, wunderbare Reise zum Mond

This was in fact the entrance to what can only be classified as the world’s first and most unique garage of sorts. We’d entered the queue for Eine verrückte, wunderbare Reise zum Mond (German for A Madcap, Marvelous Journey to the Moon), a mouthful to be sure. Apparently someone on the marketing team here used to work at D.C. This was the new Intamin suspended dark ride we’d heard about, and a great complement to Rakete to assist in furthering the storytelling of Baron Munchausen’s grandest adventures.

Formerly the stables, the Baron has apparently converted it for the construction and storage for the vessel he would use for his most fantastic and ludicrous journey yet. Every corner, crate and wall space was lined with all manner of gadgets, materials, and early drawings and plans for the ship that would sail him, and soon us, to the moon. Towards the end of the queue, we came face to face with the Baron himself, explaining the voyage we were about to embark on, and directing us towards his ship. While not a state of the art audio animatronic, and it didn’t need to be, the outlandishly dressed Baron and his presence makes for a perfect complement to the ride.
february-015.jpg

Those of you that have ridden Peter Pan at a Disney park will recognize the set up and load for the attraction. This updated Intamin version (similar to Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase in Universal Singapore) and one of the many Intamin products in the park, is super smooth and the ride vehicle itself is fantastic. With 2 rows of seats, it held 4 of us easily enough and the odd looking design of the ship fits perfectly with the story. Completing the look is a large balloon overhead and tethered to the ship, guiding our flight, but also doing a great job in disguising the rig itself.

Insert Pic of Ride Vehicle Here

Gliding out of the loading zone, the “stable” doors open and at this point you’d expect to start taking off on your flight to the moon. As this is the Baron’s story, the journey is not quite that simple. We found our ship in the palace courtyard, struggling to get more than a few feet off the ground and amongst all manner trees and fountains with not nearly enough lift to head up into the sky. This is where the Intamin really shows off as it weaves beautifully in and out of the obstructions. The audio on the ride is great too as you’ll get a number of entertaining snippets of the Baron shouting some really off the wall phrases and instructions to the crew to get you going.

Crisis averted, we finally made it out of the palace courtyard and started our slow ascent up, only for us to find ourselves in the middle of a random all-out war between man, mythical creatures and who knows what else that has broken out on the palace grounds. If none of this makes sense to you, then you have read the many adventures of Baron Munchausen, and you’re missing out. Cannon fire sounds rain overhead, and simple, yet effective light and smoke effects illuminate the landscape and the army around you. There’s a great musical score not just in this scene but throughout the attraction. Lots of eye candy in this huge showroom to take in with a number of sight gags and just the overall scope of the thing. My head was on a swivel trying to take it all in, so much so I almost missed seeing the folks dining nearby, and fortunately there’s plenty of time to soak it in as you glide about.

INSERT IMAGE

Having survived the Battle of the Barons, things quiet down a bit as your ship continues its ascent above the treetops and fields below, and onward towards a looming mountain range. Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but effects wise, they’ve done a really nice job at creating the sensation of heading into orbit using forced perspective. There is a decent amount of movement up and down in the track, but all of the angles and props used are really spot on and do a great job projecting the story.

Speaking of story, we are almost out and over the mountain range, when the Baron’s voice chimes in and points out he’s not visited this range since his last tussle with the legendary Tatzelwurm. We had no clue what this creature was, but it roars somewhat disapprovingly at you as you fly by. Apparently they did not make nice. The thing looks to be 25-30 feet long with most of its range of motion limited from the neck up. For us, the roar provides just the extra air and boost we need and you’ll feel the wind at your back as you begin to soar into the atmosphere.

At this point, the ride is a very serene one, filled with stars and comets as the moon begins to come into view. The calmness is broken by the sounds of a singular cannon shot and the trailing voice of the Baron on his way to destiny aboard a cannon ball. As the ship makes its close up turn by the moon, the Baron himself can be seen, hanging by his belt from the bottom portion of a crescent moon.
Muenchhausen_Herrfurth_9_500x783.jpg

The journey back to the palace is a much quicker affair, but between the moon and the palace grounds, the scene nicely handles the transition for the return to earth. No word if the Baron made it off the moon, but I imagine we’ll see him again. For our gang, all around thumbs up on this wacky adventure in the sky. By this point, a few were grumbling about food, but we had thirty minutes until our lunch reservation, and one more new attraction in this land awaited us.

Der Waltzer.jpg

Making our way back towards the center of the palace, we could hear the faint murmur of music drifting down the hallways. A few moments later, the Grande Ballroom comes into full sight and the gentle tones of the music become much more prominent. Continuing the extravagant Rococo design of the palace, the ballroom is on full display for guests and home to Der Walzer des Barons (The Baron’s Waltz).

This simple, yet elegant teacups style flat ride, courtesy of German designer Mack Rides, fills the room with the steady flow of waltz music and makes guests part of the ball taking place. The teacups themselves are a bit different from what we were used to seeing from Mad Tea party and other similar carnival rides, and are modeled after a various assortment of European ball gowns, each distinctly pronounced and flowing to the ground. All of them rhythmically rotate about the room, and the grand scene that has unfolded.

INSERT IMAGE HERE

Around the room you’ll see all manner of exotic instruments brought back from the Baron’s many adventures. At the center of the attraction though stands what was a huge (probably 20 foot tall), self playing violin, with a wild story of its own and how it came to be in the Baron’s possession we’d find out.. High overhead, a series of fresco style paintings depict the fantastical tale and journey to bring back the violin from another far away land and an enjoying sight as you await your turn to take a waltz around the room.The art majors in the group got a small thrill out of the paintings to be sure.

Three attractions down, and thankfully all of them before lunch, we made our way to Das Observatorium. Finally, @NateD1226 piped in. Based on our experiences so far in this new land, we would have been really let down if the signature dining experience had been a disappointment. Thankfully it wasn’t.

Das Observatorium.jpg

Located not far from The Waltz and Journey to the Moon, the restaurant itself was set inside what would be the Baron’s Observatory, hence the name. Only it wasn’t just an observatory. By all appearances, this was most likely where the Baron came up with his fantastic tales, excuse me, planned his true life adventures. Part library, part map room, and part observatory, it’s what you’d expect to see in the palace of one Baron Munchausen. His passion for observing the moon and stars though was fully evidenced by what you see inside.

INSERT IMAGE HERE

Lucky for us, there was all manner of seating arrangements, so getting 13 in one spot worked out for once. Imagine our thrill when the server led us “outside” onto an additional terrace seating area that overlooked a portion of Journey to the Moon. @spacemt354 must have greased the wheels to get us this prime spot. One thing we hadn’t noticed during the ride through either was the sky above us was fully aglow in star light, so we obviously enjoyed our spot. Even if you aren’t lucky enough or desire to sit in the terrace area, the restaurant interior itself has plenty going visually to keep you busy while you eat.

The tables themselves look to be made of a beautiful, old world wood and ingrained with 18th century maps, charts and plans drawn out by the Baron. It really is a grand space so if you are lucky enough to dine here, be sure and take a few moments to get up and explore the restaurant and take in all the decor and hidden references. With walls of books, tapestries and a few vintage telescopes, such a fun space.

INSERT IMAGE HERE

Food wise, I don’t think we had a negative word in the bunch to say. Granted we were all pretty famished, but I think we were all pretty satisfied with our meals. The fare ranges from mostly German to a number of Eastern European and Turkish items so a really good mix of choices. The dessert menu was a big hit with a number of themed choices. Needless to say @D Hindley got his strudel, so he was happy.

I managed to get a pretty good shot of the menu for you all to check out here.

INSERT MENU HERE

[PLACE HERE DESCRIPTIONS OF RETAIL]

PIC SCHWARZWALD

SCHWARZWALD

After our stomachs had settled a little from our meal, we resumed our thrill-seeking on Schwarzwald. This is a GCI wooden coaster set outdoors overlooking the Rococo facades of Munchausen Palast. Schwarzwald – which is named after Germany’s Black Forest – continues the folkloric themes of nearby Wuze Town. In appearance, it feels like a dwarf’s burrow or something. It’s the family-friendly alternative to Rakete, and the storybook appearance helps to make that point.

The look of a wooden coaster blends in really well with Phantasialand’s aesthetic, especially since they detailed the ride to look like an oversized hand-carved cuckoo clock. Schwarzwald is a joy simply to watch from off-ride, especially with all the fairy tale décor relocated from Wakobato. The wooden tracks meander along rolling grassy knolls – think Hobbiton. There is subtle elevation change throughout, but generally Schwarzwald is a terrain coaster.

PIC TBD

It is incredibly fun to ride as well, like any GCI creation. @Evilgidgit compared it favorably to Wicker Man at Alton Towers. Schwarzwald's queue simply curlicues its way through the pastoral wood sprite setting. The loading station is like the interior of some magnificent cuckoo clock, which is completed by a ticking countdown mechanism which goes off as the train leaves. Carved oak gnomes on a little device bid riders farewell.

Then we head up the lift hill, which is entirely indoors – this is a pragmatic decision, since otherwise our screams would bother the neighbors and we’d get unsightly views outside of the park. Instead we rose through a dirt tunnel full of tree roots, and weren’t even made aware of the ride’s relative height upon the first gradual drop. That’s also inside a speed tunnel, a lot like the opener of Gold Striker, and like that ride it’s actually more fun this way! When we finally emerged from the interiors onto the wildly winding raceway outside, that sensation of uncontrollable speed was unmistakable. Schwarzwald has that barely-tamed feeling of chaos common to so many wooden coasters, and I’ve always loved that jittery thrill.

PIC TBD

It’s hard to keep your bearings on-ride, since the track doubles and triples and quadruples up on itself the whole way through. One highlight involved a station fly-by early on. Other highlights include further speed tunnels, and quick “headchopper” moments as the train rocketed underneath arched tree trunks and twisting vines! I cannot wait for a POV video to appear on YouTube, because this ride is a visual masterpiece.

Phantasialand is famed for their compact coasters, and Schwarzwald is no exception. It’s so tiny, a little extra space remained in between it and Wuze Town. Well, they had to throw something in there. They chose Die Autofahrt, a classic Antique Cars ride – think Autopia with jalopies, but soooooo much better – which was getting lots of attention from the families in the area. It also got a lot of attention from our group for its gigglesome name! Die Autofahrt is a quaint, minor ride, simply a tour through more of that exquisite Schwarzwald scenery.

PIC TBD

OTHER ADDITIONS

All in all, we spent a good half day exploring Munchausen Palast and the improved Fantasy. Eventually we made our way over to Phantasialand’s east side to experience Phantasialand’s older rides. Even then we were mighty impressed! It seems that the recent improvements made it to this side as well!

The “Deep in Africa” land had once been underutilized. Black Mamba (a B&M inverted coaster) was its only ride! But now Africa has two more! One is Nkwazi, a simple flat ride. Okay, about that name. Apparently it’s the African Chewa word for “eagle,” which covers the ride’s theme – stunning birds circling above the Mali-esque prairie. Nkwazi is a very simple flyer ride – the sort where riders control their own tail fin and determine their eagle’s sway – but it is simply just pure unassuming awesome fun. A great little addition!

PIC SAVANNAH SYSTEM

Better still, Africa has expanded into the eastern portion of the Mexico area. Mostly this was so they could replace the Silverado Theater with Savannah Flights, Phantasialand’s first screen simulator. It’s their Soarin’, sort of. It’s honestly a better, more immersive experience. It really felt like we were sailing in hot air balloons over the Serengeti! The animal footage, the 4D effects, the scents! It all fused perfectly…and on a budget!

PIC SERENGETI BALLOONS

Thank the Intamin balloon simulator system. We climbed aboard balloon benches and were lifted into the air, legs dangling. The benches sailed majestically through a 360 degree CircleVision-style theater. We flew past herds of zebra, lion prides, more species than I can name. I even once lifted up my legs to avoid an elephant’s trunk, the effect was so convincing! Savannah Flights is a family-friendly expansion which really completes Africa.

PIC RIKSCHA

The Chinatown area remains a little forgotten in comparison. I’m guessing money or space ran out a little here, though it’s hard to complain after such a wonderful day. The only noteworthy change was Verzauberte Rikscha (“Enchanted Rickshaw”), a replacement for the funky old Geister Rikscha. It was once a Chinese-themed Haunted Mansion ripoff. Now it’s a playful trackless dark ride! I guess they’re using a relatively cheaper wire-embedded ride system, like we saw on Efteling’s Symbolica, because it’s amazing how this could be done on its small budget. Our magical rickshaws glided past many scenes straight out of ancient Chinese mythology (think Monkey King, or water dragons). Due to branching paths, we had to ride it several times to see everything.

We did a ton more over the course of our day, of course. We rode Taron, Chiapas, F.L.Y.…okay, we rode everything! I would give more detail on this section of the trip, but I feel like I’ve gushed enough already. The only reason we were able to complete everything was because of light crowds. The on-site hotels were mighty tempting! Phantasialand is small but it is mesmerizing. Its latest attractions have brought the entire park up to the high standard set by Kleugheim, bringing balance and beauty. Phantasialand is truly a world-class destination. Highly recommended!

BUDGET

[INSERT FINALIZED BUDGET HERE]
[/QUOTE]

D Hulk

Looks grand, D Dad! Apart from maybe a copy-edit, it’s seems the only write-ups we’re missing are entry gates and retail.

That leaves images. I’ll have more time starting later tomorrow to work on some. There won’t be any hand drawn stuff this time, but I’ll get a couple more Photoshops created.

Disney Dad 3000

Looks grand, D Dad! Apart from maybe a copy-edit, it’s seems the only write-ups we’re missing are entry gates and retail.

That leaves images. I’ll have more time starting later tomorrow to work on some. There won’t be any hand drawn stuff this time, but I’ll get a couple more Photoshops created.

Yep, I've got to pull a few more images and hoping to sketch 1-2 things. Probably won't color them and leave them as "travel" sketches.

D Hulk

Continuing to finetune our project, now with a mass inclusion of images! (And extremely minor rewrites.) I'm doing this in multiple posts now because I think there's an image limit. Except for one observatory image which I liked, I haven't touched your section @Disney Dad 3000. Plus the entrance & retail still need small write-ups.

enhance

PHANTASIALAND

enhance

NEW ENTRANCE

enhance

enhance

MUNCHAUSEN PALAST

Following the trend of Klugheim and Rookburgh is Munchausen Palast, which has been added to the underdeveloped Fantasy region! Another German town, another genre! This detailed new area takes inspiration from the German folk hero Baron Munchausen. The park advertises it as “Tall Tales in the Age of Reason!” It’s a really clever theme for this park. Baron Munchausen somehow bridges the steampunk stylings of Rookburgh with the storybook aesthetic of Fantasy (and its other mini-land, Wuze Town). The theme is quintessentially German, detailing the exploits of an 18th century nobleman/madman who – among other adventures – flew a hot air balloon to the Moon. That story is told in an amazing dark ride, A Journey to the Moon. (Okay, it has a much longer name, but we all tended to shorten it.)

enhance

According to @orlando678-, Fantasy remained empty for so long due to building restrictions. Much of the land’s far perimeter directly abuts against neighborhoods. Phantasialand has ingeniously solved this dilemma by enclosing nearly all of Munchausen Palast indoors. This eliminates noise complaints. By draining much of Fantasy’s lagoon and building below-grade (something done a lot already in the park), Phantasialand’s designers avoided height issues. They even turned their mega-structure’s rooftops, as seen by the neighbors, into a charming, meandering green roof.

enhance

enhance

RAKETE

enhance

enhance

After numerous turns on Rakete, we literally had to drag @D Hindley away from the darned thing, we headed off further into the palace. While we could have ridden it many more times, we just had a day here, and wanted to make sure we caught all of the new additions and updates to the park.

This is going to sound like a broken record, and you are probably going to get tired of hearing it, but there is so much to look at in this place. So many details, oddities and grandeur really capturing the imagination. We passed by Das Observatorium (The Observatory), we will be dining there later thanks to a reservation from our good buddy @spacemt354 who couldn’t join us on this trip, and came upon what appeared to be what was transitioning to an exit of the palace​

D Hulk

PIC?

This is going to sound like a broken record, and you are probably going to get tired of hearing it, but there is so much to look at in this place. So many details, oddities and grandeur really capturing the imagination. We passed by Das Observatorium (The Observatory), we will be dining there later thanks to a reservation from our good buddy @spacemt354 who couldn’t join us on this trip, and came upon what appeared to be what was transitioning to an exit of the palace

This was in fact the entrance to what can only be classified as the world’s first and most unique garage of sorts. We’d entered the queue for Eine verrückte, wunderbare Reise zum Mond (German for A Madcap, Marvelous Journey to the Moon), a mouthful to be sure. Apparently someone on the marketing team here used to work at D.C. This was the new Intamin suspended dark ride we’d heard about, and a great complement to Rakete to assist in furthering the storytelling of Baron Munchausen’s grandest adventures.

Formerly the stables, the Baron has apparently converted it for the construction and storage for the vessel he would use for his most fantastic and ludicrous journey yet. Every corner, crate and wall space was lined with all manner of gadgets, materials, and early drawings and plans for the ship that would sail him, and soon us, to the moon. Towards the end of the queue, we came face to face with the Baron himself, explaining the voyage we were about to embark on, and directing us towards his ship. While not a state of the art audio animatronic, and it didn’t need to be, the outlandishly dressed Baron and his presence makes for a perfect complement to the ride.
View attachment 451717
Those of you that have ridden Peter Pan at a Disney park will recognize the set up and load for the attraction. This updated Intamin version (similar to Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase in Universal Singapore) and one of the many Intamin products in the park, is super smooth and the ride vehicle itself is fantastic. With 2 rows of seats, it held 4 of us easily enough and the odd looking design of the ship fits perfectly with the story. Completing the look is a large balloon overhead and tethered to the ship, guiding our flight, but also doing a great job in disguising the rig itself.

Gliding out of the loading zone, the “stable” doors open and at this point you’d expect to start taking off on your flight to the moon. As this is the Baron’s story, the journey is not quite that simple. We found our ship in the palace courtyard, struggling to get more than a few feet off the ground and amongst all manner trees and fountains with not nearly enough lift to head up into the sky. This is where the Intamin really shows off as it weaves beautifully in and out of the obstructions. The audio on the ride is great too as you’ll get a number of entertaining snippets of the Baron shouting some really off the wall phrases and instructions to the crew to get you going.

Crisis averted, we finally made it out of the palace courtyard and started our slow ascent up, only for us to find ourselves in the middle of a random all-out war between man, mythical creatures and who knows what else that has broken out on the palace grounds. If none of this makes sense to you, then you have read the many adventures of Baron Munchausen, and you’re missing out. Cannon fire sounds rain overhead, and simple, yet effective light and smoke effects illuminate the landscape and the army around you. There’s a great musical score not just in this scene but throughout the attraction. Lots of eye candy in this huge showroom to take in with a number of sight gags and just the overall scope of the thing. My head was on a swivel trying to take it all in, so much so I almost missed seeing the folks dining nearby, and fortunately there’s plenty of time to soak it in as you glide about.

INSERT IMAGE

Having survived the Battle of the Barons, things quiet down a bit as your ship continues its ascent above the treetops and fields below, and onward towards a looming mountain range. Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but effects wise, they’ve done a really nice job at creating the sensation of heading into orbit using forced perspective. There is a decent amount of movement up and down in the track, but all of the angles and props used are really spot on and do a great job projecting the story.

Speaking of story, we are almost out and over the mountain range, when the Baron’s voice chimes in and points out he’s not visited this range since his last tussle with the legendary Tatzelwurm. We had no clue what this creature was, but it roars somewhat disapprovingly at you as you fly by. Apparently they did not make nice. The thing looks to be 25-30 feet long with most of its range of motion limited from the neck up. For us, the roar provides just the extra air and boost we need and you’ll feel the wind at your back as you begin to soar into the atmosphere.

At this point, the ride is a very serene one, filled with stars and comets as the moon begins to come into view. The calmness is broken by the sounds of a singular cannon shot and the trailing voice of the Baron on his way to destiny aboard a cannon ball. As the ship makes its close up turn by the moon, the Baron himself can be seen, hanging by his belt from the bottom portion of a crescent moon.
View attachment 451716
The journey back to the palace is a much quicker affair, but between the moon and the palace grounds, the scene nicely handles the transition for the return to earth. No word if the Baron made it off the moon, but I imagine we’ll see him again. For our gang, all around thumbs up on this wacky adventure in the sky. By this point, a few were grumbling about food, but we had thirty minutes until our lunch reservation, and one more new attraction in this land awaited us.

View attachment 451714
Making our way back towards the center of the palace, we could hear the faint murmur of music drifting down the hallways. A few moments later, the Grande Ballroom comes into full sight and the gentle tones of the music become much more prominent. Continuing the extravagant Rococo design of the palace, the ballroom is on full display for guests and home to Der Walzer des Barons (The Baron’s Waltz).

This simple, yet elegant teacups style flat ride, courtesy of German designer Mack Rides, fills the room with the steady flow of waltz music and makes guests part of the ball taking place. The teacups themselves are a bit different from what we were used to seeing from Mad Tea party and other similar carnival rides, and are modeled after a various assortment of European ball gowns, each distinctly pronounced and flowing to the ground. All of them rhythmically rotate about the room, and the grand scene that has unfolded.

INSERT IMAGE HERE

Around the room you’ll see all manner of exotic instruments brought back from the Baron’s many adventures. At the center of the attraction though stands what was a huge (probably 20 foot tall), self playing violin, with a wild story of its own and how it came to be in the Baron’s possession we’d find out.. High overhead, a series of fresco style paintings depict the fantastical tale and journey to bring back the violin from another far away land and an enjoying sight as you await your turn to take a waltz around the room.The art majors in the group got a small thrill out of the paintings to be sure.

Three attractions down, and thankfully all of them before lunch, we made our way to Das Observatorium. Finally, @NateD1226 piped in. Based on our experiences so far in this new land, we would have been really let down if the signature dining experience had been a disappointment. Thankfully it wasn’t.

View attachment 451713

Located not far from The Waltz and Journey to the Moon, the restaurant itself was set inside what would be the Baron’s Observatory, hence the name. Only it wasn’t just an observatory. By all appearances, this was most likely where the Baron came up with his fantastic tales, excuse me, planned his true life adventures. Part library, part map room, and part observatory, it’s what you’d expect to see in the palace of one Baron Munchausen. His passion for observing the moon and stars though was fully evidenced by what you see inside.

INSERT IMAGE HERE

Lucky for us, there was all manner of seating arrangements, so getting 13 in one spot worked out for once. Imagine our thrill when the server led us “outside” onto an additional terrace seating area that overlooked a portion of Journey to the Moon. @spacemt354 must have greased the wheels to get us this prime spot. One thing we hadn’t noticed during the ride through either was the sky above us was fully aglow in star light, so we obviously enjoyed our spot. Even if you aren’t lucky enough or desire to sit in the terrace area, the restaurant interior itself has plenty going visually to keep you busy while you eat.

The tables themselves look to be made of a beautiful, old world wood and ingrained with 18th century maps, charts and plans drawn out by the Baron. It really is a grand space so if you are lucky enough to dine here, be sure and take a few moments to get up and explore the restaurant and take in all the decor and hidden references. With walls of books, tapestries and a few vintage telescopes, such a fun space.

enhance

Food wise, I don’t think we had a negative word in the bunch to say. Granted we were all pretty famished, but I think we were all pretty satisfied with our meals. The fare ranges from mostly German to a number of Eastern European and Turkish items so a really good mix of choices. The dessert menu was a big hit with a number of themed choices. Needless to say @D Hindley got his strudel, so he was happy.

INSERT MENU HERE

Disney Dad 3000

Continuing to finetune our project, now with a mass inclusion of images! (And extremely minor rewrites.) I'm doing this in multiple posts now because I think there's an image limit. Except for one observatory image which I liked, I haven't touched your section @Disney Dad 3000. Plus the entrance & retail still need small write-ups.

enhance

PHANTASIALAND

enhance

NEW ENTRANCE

enhance

enhance

MUNCHAUSEN PALAST

Following the trend of Klugheim and Rookburgh is Munchausen Palast, which has been added to the underdeveloped Fantasy region! Another German town, another genre! This detailed new area takes inspiration from the German folk hero Baron Munchausen. The park advertises it as “Tall Tales in the Age of Reason!” It’s a really clever theme for this park. Baron Munchausen somehow bridges the steampunk stylings of Rookburgh with the storybook aesthetic of Fantasy (and its other mini-land, Wuze Town). The theme is quintessentially German, detailing the exploits of an 18th century nobleman/madman who – among other adventures – flew a hot air balloon to the Moon. That story is told in an amazing dark ride, A Journey to the Moon. (Okay, it has a much longer name, but we all tended to shorten it.)

enhance

According to @orlando678-, Fantasy remained empty for so long due to building restrictions. Much of the land’s far perimeter directly abuts against neighborhoods. Phantasialand has ingeniously solved this dilemma by enclosing nearly all of Munchausen Palast indoors. This eliminates noise complaints. By draining much of Fantasy’s lagoon and building below-grade (something done a lot already in the park), Phantasialand’s designers avoided height issues. They even turned their mega-structure’s rooftops, as seen by the neighbors, into a charming, meandering green roof.

enhance

enhance

RAKETE

enhance

enhance

This is going to sound like a broken record, and you are probably going to get tired of hearing it, but there is so much to look at in this place. So many details, oddities and grandeur really capturing the imagination. We passed by Das Observatorium (The Observatory), we will be dining there later thanks to a reservation from our good buddy @spacemt354 who couldn’t join us on this trip, and came upon what appeared to be what was transitioning to an exit of the palace​
I think that pic is perfect. Thanks!

D Hulk

enhance

SCHWARZWALD

enhance

enhance

enhance

OTHER ADDITIONS

Render-2-1400x780.jpeg

bbad2781ee2401bba9ace3e35010e1d5_XL.jpg

155910133-352-k126055.jpg

Rakete - $40 million
Schwarzwald - $40 million
A Journey to the Moon - $40 million
Fantasy site improvements (draining lake, constructing new building, demolishing old building) - $40 million
Additional Munchausen Palast features - $20 million
Verzauberte Rikscha - $25 million
Savannah Flights - $25 million
Nkwazi - $5 million
New entrance gate - $10 million
Improved dining & retail park-wide - $10 million

Disney Dad 3000

PIC?

View attachment 451717

INSERT IMAGE

View attachment 451716

View attachment 451714

INSERT IMAGE HERE

View attachment 451713

INSERT IMAGE HERE

enhance

INSERT MENU HERE

Entrance write up

What is it they say about first impressions, you only get one chance to make one? Such can be said about not just people but theme parks too. That first glimpse of the park can really get the juices flowing. Not every park has a grand one, our next Phantasialand went the completely opposite route there, but after just visiting Efteling and its unique vista, we were looking to see what, if anything Phantasialand had done with theirs and all the money they were throwing around. Fortunately, they upped their game in spades.

A few of us had been here before and knew what had come before. Tight space, blah appearance, a small bus drop off hogging the entry and absolutely nothing that would indicate what was behind those gates was anything special. This redesign though was befitting this small, grand park.

For starters, the bus drop off was moved to the parking lot across the street. This not only opened up sightlines at the gate, but also helped funnel the majority of guests to the existing crosswalk bridge that previously was only getting utilized by this parking lot’s park goers. It also allowed the designers to go big here as anything done at street level would have minimal impact, and by building up and creating a new, wide spectacle of an entry, really created something befitting the park.

@Evilgidgit was a little awestruck at the thing, as we all were. Modeled after the Porta Nigra (or Black Gate) in nearby Trier, the new design was 10 million well spent and I’m sure a hit with the locals. Modified to fit the park entrance, the lower level street entrance grants an extra wide tunnel entry to obscure your view and give a nice aha moment upon entering the courtyard and seeing the double decker carousel with the upper level providing a similar experience with two smaller tunnels but providing a full walk up experience to see the gate and making for great photo ops. We’d managed to snag a spot in the parking lot across the street and took our time to check out both the lower and upper entries, but not too long as most of us were itching to sprint back to the largest, and newest addition to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom