Save your Change!

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all :wave:

A great way to have a little extra money (that you'd already have anyway) is to save your change!

Any change that we get from spending cash or loose change lying around we place aside and when it comes time for our trip, we cash it and use it for odds and ends, like water bottles and snacks.

For our last trip, we accumulated almost $100 in change...that's money you might be throwing in your back seat or in a drawer!

That's funny--we have a change jar that we call our "Disney Money." After our first trip with little kids years ago, I was dismayed at how much we spent on little trinkets and such, so for future trips we would round up all our change, take it to the bank to turn it into bills, and then split it between the two kids. That way they had a budget for their purchases and we didn't feel like we were spending anything (even though we were!). Even with older kids, we still do this and use the $ for some kind of treat, like renting the little boats at the resort or having a special meal together. Great idea!

swimmom

We also save our change. I am amazed that it usually amounts to about $400.00 in a year. I also play bunco with a group of friends and my winnings go into our vacation fund.

MinnieLee

Also, when you return cans/bottles, if you go to a machine that dispenses change instead of the receipt that you turn in, pocket the change and put it in a bank when you get home. I roll it and take it to the bank and that is "found Disney spending money"

Kristia

We also have a Disney jar. We put all our loose change in there. If we find we have alot of extra $1's we will throw them in also. Any found money also goes in here. You know when you open up the dryer and hit the mother load! Woo hoo the dryer is paying out! :ROFLOL: When we first started our jar we weren't able to get back to the World for about 4 years. We had accumulated about $900 which paid for half the trip. We are going in Oct and just cashed in our change which came to $300. This doesn't count the paper money we have been throwing in from time to time. We have been saving that since Aug 2007. It is amazing how much change can accumulate in a couple years!

sueuk

I just emptied our jar after reading this thread, and it's paid for the Cirque du Soleil tickets which have just been delivered!

KristieLC

We do the same thing. About a year and a half or maybe two years before our first trip with my son, he said he wanted to go to Mickey's house. We told him he needed to save his money and that's just what he did. We took one of those 5 gallon water jugs and decorated it with Minnie and Mickey stickers. My husband and I always put our change in it and our son put the few dollars he would get from grandparents when they visited or money from birthday cards in too, without prodding - it was his choice. Well a week before we left we went to the coinstar at our bank and had over $350 for spending money. That's not counting the bag of quarters I took out for laundry and the bills for mousekeeping tips. It was nice having extra cash that wasn't budgeted for and we were able to buy a little extra in the parks for our son.

Disneybird

A few weeks ago I was at our local bank and noticed a man dumping 5 gallon buckets of change into one of those machines that counts your change for you. He had 2 of those buckets. The teller waiting on me said that all of the change was .50 pieces. Can you imagine the Disney trip you could take on that? :dazzle:

I_heart_Tigger

It's particularly helpful in Canada where we have $1.00 and $2.00 coins. Today for example my wallet was getting a bit heavy so I emptied my change into my piggy bank and it amounted to $29.13 and that's just from a few days of breaking some $20's

jen2009

We have a jar that we save our change in. By the time it is full, there is around $300. Thats enough gas to get us to Disney and back.:sohappy: Usually takes about 8 months to fill it, but it is nice when I go to the bank with it. :)

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
WOW! I have a Disney jar too! It's has $150 in it. Still three months to go!

Oooh wow that's great!

It's weird...I feel like we don't have as much change this time around (not going til January though) and I've been making an effort to use more cash and less credit cards. Hmm...

MKgirl85

i have a jar i decorated with disney stickers as well and put all our spare change into it. I started in Mid January and have about $70.00 bucks in it so far for our disney trip in September, I am hoping to have enough to pay for all our food while at disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom