Save the Adventurers Club

G00fyDad

On of the things I like about City Walk is the fact that you can find a parking spot, as opposed to Downtown Disney, where you can drive around for quite sometime before finding one. And they also offer Valet Parking, which for me is included with my annual pass...

I had that happen once. But only once and it hasn't happened again since the clubs were closed. I drove back to our resort from DTD and then tried to drive back that evening. We looked for a spot for at least a half hour. There was nothing in any of the parking lots from Westside to Marketplace. It was weird. But like I said, it has only happened once. Now, the lots may be full but that is usually if you want to be nest to the Marketplace. We park at Westside, shop our way down to the Marketplace and then take a boat back to Westside to our car. Easy.

wdw71fan

While I agree parking at Marketplace can be rough sometimes.. I've never had a problem down by westside.. But I'm sure it's possible..

As far as parking at Citywalk... Well.. ALL the parking spots are a bagillion miles from Citywalk, so it doesn't make a difference where you park.. You still have to walk across the lot, ride 84 movings side walks and 24 escalators to get there ;)

Master Gracey

Original Poster
It seems that the name "Pleasure Island" is not as dead as someone would like us to believe. According to the Save Pleasure Island Blog (http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2012/02/pi-update-disney-files-form-10-k-with.html) Disney has filed its annual report with the Securities and Exchange Commission and their description of the Downtown Disney area is:

"The Walt Disney World Resort also hosts a 120-acre retail, dining and entertainment complex known as Downtown Disney, which consists of the Marketplace, West Side and Pleasure Island."

I know it isn't the biggest piece of news on the planet, but it's good to know that the name still exists on official documentation!

71jason

I have tried to do an internet search on the claim that 8trax was the most profitable club in the world per square foot. It is an oft repeated claim, many siting this as from a survey circa 2001. That said, I have been completely unable to find the original source for this claim. Anyone know the original source?

No idea on the original source, but enough managers/bartenders have repeated it over the years I think it's fair to say it was a Disney-approved source at the time.

I have heard of $80k weekends there (just bar revenue, not counting the $25 cover), back when PI was hopping; given the relatively small dance floor, it's hard to imagine how it could not have one of, if not the highest, revenues per square foot.

It seems that the name "Pleasure Island" is not as dead as someone would like us to believe. According to the Save Pleasure Island Blog (http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2012/02/pi-update-disney-files-form-10-k-with.html) Disney has filed its annual report with the Securities and Exchange Commission and their description of the Downtown Disney area is:
I know it isn't the biggest piece of news on the planet, but it's good to know that the name still exists on official documentation!

Eh, lawyers get paid $400 an hour to cut and paste. Without actually bothering to read the documents, I'm guessing that's the case here--the same paragraph has probably been cut and pasted in since West Side opened. This does show that any plans for the middle of DTD are blue sky at best.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
must say Gracey, as open and welcome as I am to encouraging news, not finding much hope w/ this tidbit..

Well, I never claimed that it was big news. It is encouraging that official documentation still refers to the Island as "Pleasure Island" and not "more spaceat Downtown Disney"!

Polydweller

Well, I never claimed that it was big news. It is encouraging that official documentation still refers to the Island as "Pleasure Island" and not "more spaceat Downtown Disney"!

As much as it would be nice to have encouraging news this doesn't look like it. They'd keep the name until a new area was officially opened and then every building could be changed to something new and the Pleasure Island name could still be kept. The name isn't exclusive to night clubs.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
I must say that last night I had quite a memorable President's Day, having the pleasure of seeing my good friend "Right Guard" in the Walt Disney World Cast Member Drama Club (STAGE)'s production of "Arsenic and Old Lace". He is playing Teddy Brewster, who beleive himself to be the great Adventurers Club Member and 26th President of the Unitied States, Teddy Roosevelt. One of "Right Guard's" many costumes proudly sported an original Club Membership Pin, a Club Canteen and in addition to his many "Bullys"! gave the audience a couple of hearty Kungalooshes! The show plays for two more nights at the Contemporary Resort's, Ballroom of the Americas.

TeddyHeadshot.jpg

"Right Guard" as Teddy Brewster at the Adventurers Club

After watching "Right Guard" charge up the staricase, believing it to be San Juan Hill, for the umteenth time, I remembered an article from the Adventurers Club Newsletter, The Adventurers Almanac, about a tradition that our great Club has in honor of the man who spoke soflty but carried a big stick.

Adventurers Almanac: Volume 54 Issue No. 1,
The Teddy Toast

FROM THE DESK OF GRAVES

Greetings, fellow Adventurers!

In future issues, as part of my duties as Club butler, I will be discussing the etiquette involved in many of the Adventurers Club functions (Manure Diving Competition, Gator Grappling Olympics, etc.), however, it has come to my attention that many of the present membership, particularly the newer members, are avoiding, if not totally ignoring, one of our most time honored traditions, the "Teddy Toast." As the ritual indicates, upon returning to the Club after a hard day of adventuring, one should move as speedily as possible to the nearest bar or watering hole and purchase the beverage of one's choice. Moving without delay, one should wend one's way back up to the "Founders' Corner" and stand before the portrait of Teddy Roosevelt, the ultimate adventurer. You are to raise your untouched drink high to the heavens, shout "Charge!" at the top of your lungs, and drain your glass completely.

This tradition dates back to the time Bart Biffbay was stopped in that particular spot by Nashy. Nash inquired how "Bilge-Water Bart" planned to settle his extremely large and extremely delinquent bar tab. Bart replied he would charge it, to which a rather angry and redfaced Nash screamed, "Charge!?!?" "Exactly!," said Bart, downing a gin and tonic, after which Nash downed Bart. In these simple times, we need to be true to our simple traditions.

Yours ever loyally — Graves

FoundersCorner.jpg

Adventurers Club, Zebra Mezzanine: The Founders Corner

This is truly a grand tradition that I plan to uphold and hopefully reinstate when we finaly are let back in to that hallowed Earthbound Treehouse on top of Hill St.! I believe that my beverage of choice will be a Gypsy Moth. What will yours be?

Captain Chaos

I don't have a vested interest in this, but I been reading this thread... I know I posted my comments about the club going bye bye too, but not like wdw71 does...

Well, now he is putting his reputation on the line (not that he really had any)... He says the club is being bulldozed in March.. Since we only have 1 week of February left, he will soon be proven to know what he is talking about or being completely full of the sugar honey iced tea flavor drinks... I would imagine permits would have to be filed before demolition occurs right?? and So far nothing has been filed, correct??? Let's see if anything is filed in the coming weeks and if the building goes bye bye...

wdw71fan

neither do i.. So.. The question remains, what is best thing to replace PI.. including AC, 8Trax, and Soundstage? Would want to see new CLUBS or are you ok with the HW plan of more dining and shopping with a thematic backdrop?

Master Gracey

Original Poster
neither do i.. So.. The question remains, what is best thing to replace PI.. including AC, 8Trax, and Soundstage? Would want to see new CLUBS or are you ok with the HW plan of more dining and shopping with a thematic backdrop?

I'm pretty sure that it is more than apparent that a majority of posters on this thread will continue to say that there should be no replacement for Pleasure Island and the best course of action is to reopen Pleasure Island! Refurbish the Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse, Manniquins and 8TRAX; build 2 new clubs where Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club and Motion stood (I suggest the XZFR Rock 'n' Roller Dome and the Fireworks Factory); rejuvinate and make the Merriweather Adam Pleasure storyline a bigger part of the island than just in the plaques; have the Island stores (stocked with themed merchandise) open with the rest of Downtown Disney in the morning but turnstile off the Island at 7PM for the partygoers and hold a New Years Eve Celebration every night at 12AM. If you want differing opinions, may I suggest starting a new thread, but when you come onto a thread entitled "Save the Adventurers Club", the above opinion is par for the course!

Lee

Adventurer
I want the Club back. Period.
I really don't give a rat's a$$ what they do with the rest of it. Shopping, dining, more clubs...whatever.:shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
ok, so we're relegated to immature , childish comments instead of thoughful adult conversation?

The club isn't coming back.. since thats not a viable 'answer' to the question.. What would work in the place... Would you prefer NOTHING there in lieu of something else?

Why do you INSIST upon flame baiting this thread? :rolleyes:

Can we just get this guy banned already. I'm pretty sure he been banned before.

71jason

I think this is actually a fair question, I'll try to give it a fair answer.

I think DTD is at or above its limit for "adult" restaurants. They might be able to squeeze another child-oriented restaurant in (e.g. RFC, T Rex, PH).

I'm also not sure how many more unique stores could be found to fill the area. Marketplace covers a lot of bases. Besides, how exciting are mall chain stores?

DTD does need more quick-serve restaurants. Not sure prime real estate like that is best used for a food court, tho. And just because they need one restaurant, don't know that they need six.

There is a huge lack of nightlife all over DTD. And TDO owns one of the most enduring nightlife brands in Florida, probably the US. Rennovating some clubs would also be the most cost-efficient option. I think the best use would be a 5-club PI, or even a 4-club PI with turnstyles and plenty of outside entertainment. TDO did it once, they can learn from their mistakes, and gain both a PR coup and highly profitable attractions within a couple months.

71jason

BTW, off-topic, but Lee (or Spirit or others if you're lurking), any rumors re: Splitsville? They gutted the building, but haven't touched it since in a couple weeks. Seems insane to not rush to catch some of the Summer rush.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
BTW, off-topic, but Lee (or Spirit or others if you're lurking), any rumors re: Splitsville? They gutted the building, but haven't touched it since in a couple weeks. Seems insane to not rush to catch some of the Summer rush.
While I do not have the details on this particular project, but a job of this scope seemingly sitting untouched for a couple of weeks, even months, is not uncommon at all. Permits, plan revisions, inspections, scheduling conflicts with contractors, etc, can all make progress grind to a complete halt.

uklad79

I am amazed at the deleting of posts by moderators on this site. It really has gone down hill over the years as it is all about pandering to insiders and deleting things that are against there own interests. If someone posts crap and you call them on it then then they senor. It's like china on here with all the censorship.

~going down the toilet fast~

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am amazed at the deleting of posts by moderators on this site. It really has gone down hill over the years as it is all about pandering to insiders and deleting things that are against there own interests. If someone posts crap and you call them on it then then they senor. It's like china on here with all the censorship.

~going down the toilet fast~
There is a simple solution to that problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom