Saturday Night Live

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Season 44 premiered last night, and I thought it was mostly pretty decent. Some quick thoughts I had.

Adam Driver seemed like an odd choice for the premiere host. He was good in all of the material, especially the career day sketch, but they couldn’t get an Avenger or Guardian to host?

Pete Davidson just saw his SNL stock go up 100% this summer. Idk what happened to Ariana not being the musical host tonight, but given that she and Pete are engaged, and that there were about 20 jokes about that, I think it’s odd that she dropped out. Also, I think this is the healthiest he has ever looked on the show?

Did not expect Matt Damon to show up as Kavanaugh, but it worked.

So uh, let’s talk about Kanye- er- Ye (didn’t stop everyone from calling him Kanye). 1. That first song was verrrrrry uncensored. Idk if they thought that the giant water bottle costumes would stop people from noticing the language, but I definitely heard words that get normal SNL actors fired from the show. 2. Whoever was performing with Kanye (I can’t call him Ye, that’s dumb) was wearing a shirt that also seemed to mess with the censors. All ‘offensive language’ was cut though. 3. My broadcast provider didn’t even air the third song/rant. It went from a picture to Adam Driver with the end music starting to play to another commercial. More on that below.

Funniest sketch, for me at least, goes to the Career Day bit with the oil baron. Second place was probably the Fortnight bit (I’ve never played, but Mikey Day was amazing in that).

So my broadcast cut the first 80 seconds of the cold opening off at the beginning, and definitely didn’t air whatever Kanye did at the end (I know the rant was cut for everyone, but idk if it was the same for the third song). I watched Chris Rock’s story on Snapchat though, and it was pretty awkward.

NateD1226

Idk what happened to Ariana not being the musical host tonight, but given that she and Pete are engaged, and that there were about 20 jokes about that, I think it’s odd that she dropped out. Also, I think this is the healthiest he has ever looked on the show?

She backed out for Emotional Reasons. Probably because of Mac :(

erasure fan1

The fortnite sketch was pretty funny. Im a bit disappointed there was no follow-up to undercover boss or just something star wars in general. Maybe SNL doesn't have the big star wars nerds anymore. I know Bobby Moynihan was pretty instrumental in the undercover boss and some of the other star wars skits because he is a crazy star wars fan.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
I figured since tomorrow is Halloween, now's a good time to take a moment and appreciate this classic gem starring Tom Hanks.
"Any questions??"

I can’t find the video at the moment but my #1 SNL Halloween skit is the Consumer Probe one with Dan Aykroyd and the Invisible Pedestrian costume. :hilarious:

(David S. Pumpkins is a solid #2 though)

Tick Tock

I can’t find the video at the moment but my #1 SNL Halloween skit is the Consumer Probe one with Dan Aykroyd and the Invisible Pedestrian costume. :hilarious:

(David S. Pumpkins is a solid #2 though)
That was a good one.

Another favorite of mine for Halloween was when Adam Sandler was on Weekend Update suggesting cheap costume ideas for people with not a lot of time or $$. Protractor Face and About To Sneeze Man were a few "costumes" I remember off the top of my head.

BuddyThomas

A lot of pandering stuff wins awards.. doesn't necessarily make it good. SNL somewhere along the line got "safe" and that's when they lost me as a "must see TV" viewer.
Got SAFE?????????? No offense, but are you out of your mind? Saturday Night Live is not safe at all. They are in your face. That said, the in-your-face stuff usually happens in the first half hour of skits and then the rest of the show seems like it is written by five year old children.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Season 44 premiered last night, and I thought it was mostly pretty decent. Some quick thoughts I had.

Adam Driver seemed like an odd choice for the premiere host. He was good in all of the material, especially the career day sketch, but they couldn’t get an Avenger or Guardian to host?

Pete Davidson just saw his SNL stock go up 100% this summer. Idk what happened to Ariana not being the musical host tonight, but given that she and Pete are engaged, and that there were about 20 jokes about that, I think it’s odd that she dropped out. Also, I think this is the healthiest he has ever looked on the show?

Did not expect Matt Damon to show up as Kavanaugh, but it worked.

So uh, let’s talk about Kanye- er- Ye (didn’t stop everyone from calling him Kanye). 1. That first song was verrrrrry uncensored. Idk if they thought that the giant water bottle costumes would stop people from noticing the language, but I definitely heard words that get normal SNL actors fired from the show. 2. Whoever was performing with Kanye (I can’t call him Ye, that’s dumb) was wearing a shirt that also seemed to mess with the censors. All ‘offensive language’ was cut though. 3. My broadcast provider didn’t even air the third song/rant. It went from a picture to Adam Driver with the end music starting to play to another commercial. More on that below.

Funniest sketch, for me at least, goes to the Career Day bit with the oil baron. Second place was probably the Fortnight bit (I’ve never played, but Mikey Day was amazing in that).

So my broadcast cut the first 80 seconds of the cold opening off at the beginning, and definitely didn’t air whatever Kanye did at the end (I know the rant was cut for everyone, but idk if it was the same for the third song). I watched Chris Rock’s story on Snapchat though, and it was pretty awkward.

Old news, but...

Kanye did Lorne a favor by jumping in when Pete's girlfriend bailed.

But... Lorne has to know Kanye is off his meds and his pro-Trump stance alienates the vast majority of viewers and that Kanye would go off script.

So... the next week, Ariane's boyfriend mocks Kanye... all with Lorne's approval of course.

The bad guy in all this is Lorne. He consistently books the bad boys and girls of pop and acting and sports and comedy, folks that he knows are either going to crash and burn or go off script and get NBC fined for obscenities... that's what they do. And then he throws a public fit banning them for life or getting one of his cast to mock them.

Lorne Michaels is a bad person in the way he uses people with fragile psychological boundaries for the sake of this charade in order to get high ratings.

Maeryk

Old news, but...

Kanye did Lorne a favor by jumping in when Pete's girlfriend bailed.

But... Lorne has to know Kanye is off his meds and his pro-Trump stance alienates the vast majority of viewers and that Kanye would go off script.

So... the next week, Ariane's boyfriend mocks Kanye... all with Lorne's approval of course.

The bad guy in all this is Lorne. He consistently books the bad boys and girls of pop and acting and sports and comedy, folks that he knows are either going to crash and burn or go off script and get NBC fined for obscenities... that's what they do. And then he throws a public fit banning them for life or getting one of his cast to mock them.

Lorne Michaels is a bad person in the way he uses people with fragile psychological boundaries for the sake of this charade in order to get high ratings.

All the way back to booking Elvis Costello and forbidding him to play Radio Radio.. (which of course he immediately did) or putting FEAR live on stage in front of a new york crowd on Halloween..

Maeryk

Got SAFE?????????? No offense, but are you out of your mind? Saturday Night Live is not safe at all. They are in your face. That said, the in-your-face stuff usually happens in the first half hour of skits and then the rest of the show seems like it is written by five year old children.

It's safe in that it only goes after currently sanctioned hollywood approved targets for mockery. It used to be evenhanded. There's a reason South Park is the far superior comedy product out there now. It doesn't have sacred cows. For SNL, one whole side of the aisle is sacred.

BuddyThomas

It's safe in that it only goes after currently sanctioned hollywood approved targets for mockery. It used to be evenhanded. There's a reason South Park is the far superior comedy product out there now. It doesn't have sacred cows. For SNL, one whole side of the aisle is sacred.
Too bad there is not a semi-like button. I LOVE South Park, but SNL is not that. It is commentary on current issues during its first skit and Weekend Update, and then usually stupid garbage during the rest. AND if you think that they are biased, I would remind you that the orange pig (I mean Trump) has hosted the show, and also, Kanye had his make 'Murica' great moment on a recent episode.

Maeryk

Too bad there is not a semi-like button. I LOVE South Park, but SNL is not that. It is commentary on current issues during its first skit and Weekend Update, and then usually stupid garbage during the rest. AND if you think that they are biased, I would remind you that the orange pig (I mean Trump) has hosted the show, and also, Kanye had his make 'Murica' great moment on a recent episode.

Great. We apparently cue in on different parts of the show. For 8 years they gladhanded President Obama, and went after the right, and for the last two years, they have gladhanded democrats, and gone after the right. YMMV, but that's just how I see it.

I agree with the skits though. Ever since the cheerleaders, they seem to pick at least one vapid skit per season, and beat it into the ground, when it wasn't funny in the first place. Wow. People give directions funny in California. Let's do that skit half a dozen times.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Great. We apparently cue in on different parts of the show. For 8 years they gladhanded President Obama, and went after the right, and for the last two years, they have gladhanded democrats, and gone after the right. YMMV, but that's just how I see it.

I agree with the skits though. Ever since the cheerleaders, they seem to pick at least one vapid skit per season, and beat it into the ground, when it wasn't funny in the first place. Wow. People give directions funny in California. Let's do that skit half a dozen times.
The Californians was the worst. The absolute worst. Thank goodness it’s over now.

Even though he was a part of the Californians, I miss Bill Hader. His returning sketches were among the few that didn’t feel tired (Black Jeopardy is probably the best recent recurring sketch).

The show has gone after Dems (McKinnon’s original take on Hillary wasn’t exactly kind), but recently, the Rs are giving them more material. That said, this was a good sketch last year:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
John Mulaney did an excellent job hosting last night. If they could book him every year (and give him the opportunity to bring back a sketch that he wrote that was cut like 10 years ago), that would be fine by me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom