Saratoga Springs vs Old Key West

GrumpySue

Original Poster
Does anyone have an opinion on which of these resorts is better ?? If you had to stay at one, which one would you choose and why ??

Plowboy

Going to be staying at SSR for the first time this December; however, I was quite bummed for awhile as OKW was our first choice and we couldn't get it. We stayed there years ago and I have to admit we loved it. I hope SSR turns out well. I like the more mature landscaping and the laid back vibe of OKW. As for SSR, we've read lot's of pro's and con's, but won't know for ourselves until December.

Color me: "trying to keep an open mind"...

Last edited:

wvdisneyfamily

Saratoga Springs is a very clean, very minimalist resort. The minimalist isn't amenities or anything; it's just kind of blah (and not because of the staff or anything - it just feels blah).
I love OKW. It's peaceful and happy.
I know I'm not being very exact on my likes and dislikes. Lol. The two places feel very different. I never experienced anything in terms of one having markedly worse or better services or amenities. SS didn't hold any magic for me - it felt like any other nice hotel

epcotisbest

We have stayed at both and like them both. If there is one thing that makes us lean toward one over the other is the walk over to Disney Springs from SSR. We like DS a lot and enjoy the walk over and back from SSR.
We like the landscaping and grounds of SSR and there are four very nice pools and we tend to spend time at each one. As for OKW, there are several quiet pools there as well as the main pool, so pool time is never far away there either.
I don't really think one is better than the other, it just comes down to a matter of personal preference. Here is the main thing...we have been at both and have never once had the thought while there that we wished we were somewhere else, so I guess we are easy to please and happy to be at either one.

Grumpy06

We are vacation club members and SSR is our home resort. We have stayed at both and have always enjoyed our stay at both. If you plan on spending time at DS than you should enjoy SSR,it's a short walk there and therefore gives you many more dining options in a short time,all the pools are good a SSR,I would request a room at the grandstand near the pool,short walk to boat and main dining,first on the bus and first off the bus,second choice would be congress park very short walk to DS and nice quiet pool.does cost more to stay there though
Either resort can't go wrong , Enjoy the trip

correcaminos

We are DVC owners and own at OKW so I am slightly biased there I love the turning and the vibe there. The CMs are some of the best I've encountered. That said they are similar in many ways. Both a visits or walk to DS (SSR is close). Both are later resorts (SSR being the larger of the two). Both are condo style as well so you have parking just outside your room (parking at OKW is better I feel). OKW has some of the largest rooms. SSR had better QS dining. Both have a lot of pools and great amenities. I say pick which appeals more in theme and you will not be disappointed.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Another DVC owner at OKW here. We've stayed at both multiple times and I think that a lot depends on what you intend to do during your visit.

If you are looking for a relaxing getaway and planning on a lot of 'down' time, OKW
If you are going to mainly use the resort for sleep and spend most of your time in the parks/Disney Springs, SSR
If you want easy access to all the vast variety of food/drink/fun of Disney Springs, SSR
If you are more than happy to hang out at a little pub or a quaint restaurant multiple times in one visit, OKW
If you want to feel like your room is more private/secluded, OKW
If you are good with a hotel type feel to your room, SSR

Personally, we go back to OKW almost every visit. We love visiting the Gurgling Suitcase pub for a couple drinks and dinner and our daughter loves meeting other kids at the pool. We spend afternoons and sometimes evening just chilling out in our room and usually one morning hanging out at the pool. We generally only visit Disney Springs once a visit and love the 15 minute boat ride from OKW to get there. When we have done SSR, it tends to be a shorter visit with much more park time. But everybody is different! Regardless of where you end up, have a great visit!!

Disneyfreak Jen

I've stayed at OKW, but not SSR. I had a great experience at OKW, I had a studio in the Turtle Pond section right next to the quiet pool and snack shack.
I loved it!! The bus was less than a 2 minute walk, the laundry and food was right next door at the pool, and I just loved the low key vibe!
Remember that you can easily catch the boat from OKW to DS, or you can walk...I think it's a mile on the path near the golf course.

Demeter Tess

I've stayed at both and would choose OKW in a heartbeat. It has such a lovely, relaxed, tropical vibe and the rooms are among the largest on Disney property. (Our studio was ENORMOUS. Seriously, we could have had 10 folks in that room!) We particularly loved the pool bar and Sassagoula water taxi to Disney Springs. SSR is a beautiful resort in its own right, but it's MASSIVE. (Like, double the number of rooms as OKW!) We had bus problems every day. At one point we even resorted to calling a cab because we'd have missed our dining reservation if we'd continued waiting in the OKW bus line. It's true that there's a lovely walkway to Disney Springs, but if your room isn't anywhere near the walkway you'll be too tired of trekking across the resort itself to enjoy it. So my vote is OKW!

- Lauren

Bartledvd

Not sure if it has started yet but isn't old key west under going room refurbishment untill june 2018 it was meant to start in January 2017 but got pushed back untill august i think i remember reading

OKW is our family's favorite resourt we have stayed at so far

correcaminos

Not sure if it has started yet but isn't old key west under going room refurbishment untill june 2018 it was meant to start in January 2017 but got pushed back untill august i think i remember reading

OKW is our family's favorite resourt we have stayed at so far
Should be rooms being redone and not too much noise to others. I haven't been paying attention to this I've that close though since it's been pushed back so much. I wouldn't let that deter me. Or rooms were in good shape last year even if it is delayed

BuddyThomas

Oh my God, that Saratoga Springs place is the size of a small city! I stayed there once for Gay Days, and one night, coming back from the Typhoon Lagoon party, a friend of mine and I accidentally got off at the wrong bus stop and we wandered around for two hours in the rain searching for our room. Of course, we might have swallowed 350 margarita beforehand, so there's that......

But it is HUGE.

Here is a very detailed video from Tim Tracker covering pretty much the entire resort.

GrumpySue

Original Poster
T
I've stayed at OKW, but not SSR. I had a great experience at OKW, I had a studio in the Turtle Pond section right next to the quiet pool and snack shack.
I loved it!! The bus was less than a 2 minute walk, the laundry and food was right next door at the pool, and I just loved the low key vibe!
Remember that you can easily catch the boat from OKW to DS, or you can walk...I think it's a mile on the path near the golf course.

There is a path to DS from OKW ??? I didn't know that, I don't mind walking at all.

GrumpySue

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies, they are very helpful. We usually always stay in the Epcot Resort area because we spend most of our time there, but the prices for those resorts have gotten really ridiculous so without a huge AP discount we will be trying somewhere new. We have stayed at every other resort over the past twenty years except these two, so I figure it's time to try them.

JTT

Thanks for all your replies, they are very helpful. We usually always stay in the Epcot Resort area because we spend most of our time there, but the prices for those resorts have gotten really ridiculous so without a huge AP discount we will be trying somewhere new. We have stayed at every other resort over the past twenty years except these two, so I figure it's time to try them.

One option that I use and it's a huge savings is renting vacation club points. There always seems to be availability at Saratoga Springs.

epcotisbest

djpoore94

Another vote for OKW here. We are also DVC owners and OKW is our home. We've stayed at SSR, AKV (both buildings), WL & BLT. Honestly, I love OKW the most out of all places we've stayed. We love the laid back atmosphere, the larger rooms (especially the large bathroom), the pool, Olivia's, really just everything about it. We've never had major issues with buses, and rarely have a car. Sometimes the buses are crowded yes, but doesn't that happen with every resort during peak times?

correcaminos

T

There is a path to DS from OKW ??? I didn't know that, I don't mind walking at all.
Starts at South Point right by the quiet pool there. I think it's about a 15 minute walk or so from the beginning of the path. You cannot walk it at night though as there are no lights and too close to wildlife. Someone on another site clocked it at 24 minutes to walk from the Hospitality House to Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom