saratoga springs v port orleans

wwmmd

I’ve stayed at both SS and POR and enjoyed both. When we stayed at SS we requested a room near DS. I loved being able to walk to and from DS especially in the morning before the stores opened to grab a bite at Wolfgang Puck Express (one of our favorite QS). Since we were close to DS that meant we were far from the food service/main pool (but we did have a quiet pool nearby). That wasn’t too big of a deal since you can hop on a bus if you don’t feel like walking. It wasn’t that bad of a walk though. Our room at POR was in the Alligator Bayou and about as far away from the main building and pool as you could get. We loved the feel of the resort though. We really want to stay at POFQ and if I had a choice between POFQ and SS I would choose POFQ. Although we’ve never stayed there we have visited it and it’s very nice and small compared to the other two. The good thing about staying at PO is that you can use the pool at both resorts. What you gain by staying at SS is a kitchenette (assuming you get a studio), which is just adding a little sink and microwave compared to what you get at PO (fridge). You also get a balcony at SS, but not one at PO. Obviously the boat isn’t a factor since you have them at both places.

So, basically whatever is more important to you and your family. My girls have asked to go back to PO, but not SS. The main reason for that is because they love the beignets at POFQ so much.

mrs moon

Original Poster
I’ve stayed at both SS and POR and enjoyed both. When we stayed at SS we requested a room near DS. I loved being able to walk to and from DS especially in the morning before the stores opened to grab a bite at Wolfgang Puck Express (one of our favorite QS). Since we were close to DS that meant we were far from the food service/main pool (but we did have a quiet pool nearby). That wasn’t too big of a deal since you can hop on a bus if you don’t feel like walking. It wasn’t that bad of a walk though. Our room at POR was in the Alligator Bayou and about as far away from the main building and pool as you could get. We loved the feel of the resort though. We really want to stay at POFQ and if I had a choice between POFQ and SS I would choose POFQ. Although we’ve never stayed there we have visited it and it’s very nice and small compared to the other two. The good thing about staying at PO is that you can use the pool at both resorts. What you gain by staying at SS is a kitchenette (assuming you get a studio), which is just adding a little sink and microwave compared to what you get at PO (fridge). You also get a balcony at SS, but not one at PO. Obviously the boat isn’t a factor since you have them at both places.

So, basically whatever is more important to you and your family. My girls have asked to go back to PO, but not SS. The main reason for that is because they love the beignets at POFQ so much.
Thank you for your review..

disneyworlddad

i have only stayed at POFQ.... and i loved it! Small and easy to get around. The beignets are amazing and it had a very relaxed feel. Stayed first week of June 2016. We did eat a supper at the Turf Club and it was very good. I think it is a missed spot for a good steak. SS seemed bigger and more busy, more like a resort where POFQ seems like a laid back street in the French Quarter.

correcaminos

How much price difference? Also do ypu really like DS? While I like POFQ more than SSR, there are some things sbout it that might tip me over to picking that one. Also remeber SSR studios have 1 bed and one couch, not two regular beds.

mrs moon

Original Poster
How much price difference? Also do ypu really like DS? While I like POFQ more than SSR, there are some things sbout it that might tip me over to picking that one. Also remeber SSR studios have 1 bed and one couch, not two regular beds.
Hi thank you for your reply..The price is the same if i have the full dining plan at both!..I cant say that i love DS,but maybe it would be nice to pop across whenever!!..I guess the other option would be OKW for the two beds..I know nothing about that resort!

correcaminos

Hi thank you for your reply..The price is the same if i have the full dining plan at both!..I cant say that i love DS,but maybe it would be nice to pop across whenever!!..I guess the other option would be OKW for the two beds..I know nothing about that resort!
Now I would pick OKW over POR/FQ (doesn't matter which) but we have a definite fondness for that resort, but if about the same price, it would be a no brainer there for me with the 2 beds. Very laid back, the CMs at the Community Hall and pool activities are amazing. I just love it there and the rooms are sooo big. Plus you get the kitchenette.

Boat ride to DS instead of walking like Saratoga, but all around we just love it there. It was our first 'home' for DVC and just had an amazing trip there last June in spite of TS Colin.

If the full bed doesn't matter and the idea of walking to DS from SSR is appealing, by all means stay there. The studios are nice, but I'm just not in love with the theme an the room sizes there. Since we aren't huge DS fans and feel a little "exposed" there being so close to DS, it just isn't our top choice.

wwmmd

I forgot that SSR only has a sleeper sofa instead of the second bed (we stayed in a 2 bedroom). I've slept on one before when we stayed at WL and it was comfortable enough (and I'm pretty picky). SSR does have a boat to DS, 2 actually if you count the Marketplace boat launch (I took it from the West Side late one night since I didn't want to walk through the crowds to get back to our room). The other is by the main building.

OKW is definitely another good option and I would pick that over SSR, although we've never stayed there. The fact that the studios have 2 beds and a little more room is what wins it over for me.

BigRedDad

I have stayed at POR and SSR 1BR. Hard comparison because of the room size and kitchen. Buses for both are slow with POR being MUCH slower. SSR has more amenities and proximity to DS. I was surprised at how much we liked SSR because it was so far out. It was not that bad at all.

mrs moon

Original Poster
Now I would pick OKW over POR/FQ (doesn't matter which) but we have a definite fondness for that resort, but if about the same price, it would be a no brainer there for me with the 2 beds. Very laid back, the CMs at the Community Hall and pool activities are amazing. I just love it there and the rooms are sooo big. Plus you get the kitchenette.

Boat ride to DS instead of walking like Saratoga, but all around we just love it there. It was our first 'home' for DVC and just had an amazing trip there last June in spite of TS Colin.

If the full bed doesn't matter and the idea of walking to DS from SSR is appealing, by all means stay there. The studios are nice, but I'm just not in love with the theme an the room sizes there. Since we aren't huge DS fans and feel a little "exposed" there being so close to DS, it just isn't our top choice.
Thanks so much...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom