Saratoga Springs or Old Key West?

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
We are planning our next WDW trip later this year. We wanted to stay at AKL or Wilderness, but the DVC gods seem to be working against us AGAIN. So it looks like we may be back to the in-laws home resort, Saratoga. On our last trip, it seemed like the rooms could use a good upgrade and we are thinking OKW might be better. Please let us know which of the two is more updated - SS or OKW? Thank you!

BigRedDad

I never thought I would ever stay at either (still haven't stayed at OKW). The reason is due to location. Turns out it was not that bad at all. We loved our SSR trip. Buses seemed to be slow because of how far out they were. We drove anyway which makes it so we don't have to wait. SSR has 2 main pools and some nice quiet pool areas. Proximity to DS was perfect as well.

disneygirl1

I have to agree we stayed at SSR for the first time in Dec. And I was SO surprised at how much I liked the resort. Always shied away from there b/c of the size of the resort, but given we had to change our trip dates at the last minute SSR was the only thing available and we loved every minute of it. Resort is beautiful. Pools were great! Bus system worked fine for us and the walk or quick boat ride to Disney Springs was an added plus. We actually stayed in two sections of the resort as our flight home was cancelled due to weather and we had to stay another day and hade to switch rooms in order to accommodate us. We stayed in the Springs and the Grandstand sections. Both section locations could not be beat. In the Springs: We were literally 10 seconds from the bus stop and the pool. Main building and food court was no more then 2-3 minute walk. The community hall and game room was right there as well. Only issue with this location is for the bus. It is the LAST stop going and coming to and from the parks. For the Grandstand: Bus stop was less then a minute from our room. This is the FIRST stop to and from the parks which was AWESOME! There is a pool in this section as well. The boat to Disney Springs is right in this location as well. Walk to the main building and food court took maybe five minutes. The Springs is a preferred location now, so if you wanted to save a few points. Grandstand in the way to go. ENJOY!

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Old Key West is currently undergoing room renovations (last done in 2010) while Saratoga had their last room renovations in 2012 (I think). You could always do a little research to find out which sections of OKW are being done first and have a VERY recently updated room!

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/re...-west-refurbishment-to-last-more-than-2-years

That being said...I MUCH prefer the OKW rooms. :)
Thx. I'll have to do some homework and see what magic comes our way.

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
I never thought I would ever stay at either (still haven't stayed at OKW). The reason is due to location. Turns out it was not that bad at all. We loved our SSR trip. Buses seemed to be slow because of how far out they were. We drove anyway which makes it so we don't have to wait. SSR has 2 main pools and some nice quiet pool areas. Proximity to DS was perfect as well.
Thx. Our first day at SSR was a bit bumpy (it was dark when we arrived and we had no idea where we were going) and my in laws were less than pleased with the worn out couch and washer/dryer, but overall my husband and I enjoyed it. I like the look of OKW and thought it might be nice. We'll see what happens...

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
I have to agree we stayed at SSR for the first time in Dec. And I was SO surprised at how much I liked the resort. Always shied away from there b/c of the size of the resort, but given we had to change our trip dates at the last minute SSR was the only thing available and we loved every minute of it. Resort is beautiful. Pools were great! Bus system worked fine for us and the walk or quick boat ride to Disney Springs was an added plus. We actually stayed in two sections of the resort as our flight home was cancelled due to weather and we had to stay another day and hade to switch rooms in order to accommodate us. We stayed in the Springs and the Grandstand sections. Both section locations could not be beat. In the Springs: We were literally 10 seconds from the bus stop and the pool. Main building and food court was no more then 2-3 minute walk. The community hall and game room was right there as well. Only issue with this location is for the bus. It is the LAST stop going and coming to and from the parks. For the Grandstand: Bus stop was less then a minute from our room. This is the FIRST stop to and from the parks which was AWESOME! There is a pool in this section as well. The boat to Disney Springs is right in this location as well. Walk to the main building and food court took maybe five minutes. The Springs is a preferred location now, so if you wanted to save a few points. Grandstand in the way to go. ENJOY!
Thx. Glad to hear good things about SSR. Can't wait until we can book outside the home DVC resort and we'll see what's available!

Princess Sara

We are not DVC members but for the last 7 years we have booked SSR. We love the resort, it's pools, the boats and especially the walk to DS. We always eat at OKW at Olivia's Cafe and we like the look of the resort but feel the dining options are limited. We love SSR and can't wait to go again September 14th.

Plowboy

Just booked 6 nights at SSR for early December '17. I have to admit it's not my first choice, but again this year OKW was not available for our chosen dates. We last stayed there about 8 years ago and have been trying to get back to ever since. (We're not DVC members. We just rent the points.)

Spectro

Are you looking for studio or 1 or 2 bed villa ?
Studios at Okw have 2 queen beds and bigger rooms. It's a very pretty resort. Haven't tried ssr yet.

cbryns

OKW, all around. Saratoga is very nice, and very quiet, but maybe a little too quiet. The equestrian element is fun, but I always choose OKW. Our DVC home is OKW so I might be biased. But I love the beachy feel of OKW, the rooms are enormous, there's a bunch of pools, and it's in pretty good proximity to all of the parks. Buses can take a while since the resort is so spread out but I wouldn't say more than 20 minutes waiting at a stop. Also, the views from your balcony, from basically anywhere, are gorgeous.

correcaminos

I was just at OKW last June and while the rooms are being refurbished, the old are not run down or anything. We prefer OKW to SSR but we don't like how SSR is laid out and not fans of DS at all. If we go to Disney Spring, it's once and we go by boat from OKW. OKW rooms are much larger and the studios have 2 actual beds.

We love OKW and it is our first home. But you have to decide what appeals more to you. Smaller rooms close to Disney Springs? or larger rooms with a very laid back feel. The rest you can leave up to personal preferences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom