Saratoga Springs help!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
We'll be staying at SSR resort for our upcoming trip in December for the first time, and a factor in choosing to stay there was its proximity to DTD. So, I've just read that the walkway from SSR to DTD Marketplace will be closed from next week which has complicated things a little bit! Apparently, the sidewalk to West Side will remain open and of course, there's the boat that goes over. So firstly, how frequently does the boat go to and from DTD and secondly, does anyone know how long the walk will now be to West Side? My travel agent put in a request for us to stay in Congress Park as it was supposed to be the nearest section to DTD, so should I now rethink the request and ask for another area? We were planning to hop over to DTD Marketplace quite frequently for dining/shopping as we don't expect our 2 year old DS to last out full days at the parks.

Thanks in advance for any help :D Beinh an uber planner, I'm trying not to freak out at this turn of events!

Sparkle81

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the reassurance everyone :)
Think I need to have a look at the hotel plan and make sure we won't be staying too far from where the boat launches, as it sounds like we'll be using it a lot! I guess on the plus side, my DS will enjoy the boat ride much better than the walk too ;)

Sparkle81

Original Poster
So, should I think about changing my request for a different area? Having a look at the map, The Springs seems most convenient to the restaurants, boat & reasonably well positioned for buses. But because it's nearer to all of the 'activity', will it be noisy? I'm quite a light sleeper (and evidently, a perfectionist!!).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We have stayed at SSR many times, and we always ask for the Grandstand area. It has it's own quiet pool with a play area for the kids, and a pool bar for drinks. The Grandstand is also the first pick-up/drop-off point for the buses to the parks. While the Springs is closer to the main pool and buildings, it is the last bus stop, and people will frequently have to stand on the way to the parks, especially in the mornings. The Grandstand is only a short 5 minute walk to the main pool, buildings, and the boat dock, and it is the closest to the West Side walkway to DtD. Just something to think about.

DJMoore2011

We stayed at SSR in Nov 2011. We got the Grandstand, first one on and off Buses was great, the ride on the boat over to DTD was quick and about every 15 minutes as others have said. We only had to ride a bus back once and that was when the boats were stopped due to really band winds.

I am a light sleeper too, and I slept soundly. I know there were kids in the Grandstand but I never heard them. Though our room did over look the golf course. We had a wonderful time there. My Dear Hubby is a perfectionist when it comes to hotel rooms and he found nothing negative with the rooms or service.

bethymouse

The boat wait was no problem at all! We stayed in the Paddock Section right beside the pool, and there was no noise! We enjoyed sitting on the patio and drinking our coffee each morning. The Paddock pool is for kids, but it has The Paddock Grill w/ a refillable mug station. Very convenient!:) The loudest noise I ever heard was the huge fountain ( yes it made noise:eek:) by the long bridge that connects the Paddock area to the Springs area.:D
Congress Park and Carousel were 2 areas that seemed too far from the "action" for us, but many folks like it in those sections- quiet pool in Congress Park.;) Never had a problem w/ the buses either. Not crowded nor long waits ( at the most maybe 15 minutes).:) This was June 9-14, 2013.:D
SSR- my favorite resort so far! #2- Wilderness Lodge. #3 Polynesian ( only because of the age of the longhouses and the $$$$$).;)
Mousekeeping was wonderful! Service was always special- "Welcome Home". Must eat at The Turf Club Bar & Grill- delicious and wonderful service!:D
Have a great time!:D

dvader15

Whenever we've stayed at Saratoga Springs, we've always walked to downtown Disney via the Marketplace entrance. I was not aware there was a way to walk to the west side. Does anyone know how to do it?

Sparkle81

Original Poster
We stayed at SSR in Nov 2011. We got the Grandstand, first one on and off Buses was great, the ride on the boat over to DTD was quick and about every 15 minutes as others have said. We only had to ride a bus back once and that was when the boats were stopped due to really band winds.

I am a light sleeper too, and I slept soundly. I know there were kids in the Grandstand but I never heard them. Though our room did over look the golf course. We had a wonderful time there. My Dear Hubby is a perfectionist when it comes to hotel rooms and he found nothing negative with the rooms or service.
Do you think it's worth us requesting a particular view, such as overlooking the golf course, as well as the particular section?

DJMoore2011

Do you think it's worth us requesting a particular view, such as overlooking the golf course, as well as the particular section?

Well we originally requested the Springs and ended up in the Grandstands with a Golf view. On the upside it was very quiet, we saw 2 golfers the whole time we were there. On the down side, well it's a golf course and I am not big on golf :) Dear Hubby loved the view though, yes he golfs. But we were out of our room so early between breakfast reservations and back so late due to dinner reservations that we didn't see much of the golf course at all. For us the view was not important. My daughter loved having her tea and toast on the balcony while I kept my distance from the balcony due to fear of heights.

It all comes down to what you want out of the visit there, if a view if very important to you then ask. They can't guarantee that you'll get it. And from what I am reading if you get there soon enough and find out the view is not to you liking sometimes it can be changed easier to do at an 8 am check in then at 3 pm check in.

Sparkle81

Original Poster
Well we originally requested the Springs and ended up in the Grandstands with a Golf view. On the upside it was very quiet, we saw 2 golfers the whole time we were there. On the down side, well it's a golf course and I am not big on golf :) Dear Hubby loved the view though, yes he golfs. But we were out of our room so early between breakfast reservations and back so late due to dinner reservations that we didn't see much of the golf course at all. For us the view was not important. My daughter loved having her tea and toast on the balcony while I kept my distance from the balcony due to fear of heights.

It all comes down to what you want out of the visit there, if a view if very important to you then ask. They can't guarantee that you'll get it. And from what I am reading if you get there soon enough and find out the view is not to you liking sometimes it can be changed easier to do at an 8 am check in then at 3 pm check in.
I wasn't thinking about the view exactly, as I think it'll be much like yourselves, where we won't be actually be in the villa a lot and seeing the view much in daylight- I was thinking more about the fact that it was quieter ;)
We'll more than likely be checking in, in the early evening as our flight isn't due to land until around 3.30pm- then we have immigration to deal with ;)
Thanks again for your replies- it's been SO helpful :)

Marijil

We stayed there once, in 2010...boat is very efficient...just get building near the main campus...warning..no buildings are really that close to the main campus..lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom