Saratoga Springs and WDW in July - Will we love it?

Pachanga5

Original Poster
My husband and I just booked Saratoga Springs for 6 nights in July. This will be our third trip to WDW together, but first time without kids.

Due to hubby’s new job, we were limited in vacation dates. We were also gifted with DVC points for this trip. Saratoga Springs was the only DVC property available using points for that week without doing a split stay.

Our last trips were both in the fall at CBR and POR. We liked both resorts equally.

Any tips for those who have stayed at Saratoga Springs or done an adult only trip? We will be celebrating our 21st anniversary on this trip and have 7 day park hoppers and the regular dining plan.

Paper straw fan

The phrases “Only one available” and Saratoga Springs seem to go hand in hand!

That said, it’s fine. The rooms are spacious and the boats to D Springs are handy. If you’ve stayed at CBR you’ll be used to the many bus stops. I’ve ranted about SS but it’s perfectly nice.

Happy anniversary!

Pachanga5

Original Poster
The phrases “Only one available” and Saratoga Springs seem to go hand in hand!

That said, it’s fine. The rooms are spacious and the boats to D Springs are handy. If you’ve stayed at CBR you’ll be used to the many bus stops. I’ve ranted about SS but it’s perfectly nice.

Happy anniversary!
Thank you! We had not planned to visit D Springs until we booked here. I ended up making reservations at Homecomin one night. Excited to try it!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You can also walk to Disney Springs along the river, provided it's not too hot. The only thing about July? Brazilian tour groups. We've stayed at Saratoga Springs twice. Very nice resort.

Paper straw fan

The main drawbacks are really just that it lacks a certain charm of say, POR/FQ and that the resort is rather sprawling (which can be good and bad)

But you can get used to the nice sized rooms fast, and in the summer, there’s a chance you’ll spend some time in the room for weather reasons, and it’s nice to have the space to stretch out. I guess my advice is just it’s a good chance to spend some time at Disney Springs since your so close, check out a show or concert, maybe the Void if it sounds interesting. And keep an eye out for golf carts when driving thru the resort!

epcotisbest

@Tony the Tigger highlighted what I think is one of the best things about SSR. "It’s a quieter resort, feels a bit removed from all the crazy."

That, for us, is a huge plus. SSR has five pools, beautifully landscaped grounds, nice rooms, and is quiet and feels un-crowded.
The proximity to DS is another big plus.
We have stayed there three times and will be going back. We have not stayed there in July, so I can't comment on how it would be in the oppressive heat, but it is a wonderful place in the Spring and Fall.
Here is a link to a trip report from a couple of years ago with plenty of photos if you would like to see some photos of the grounds.

carolina_yankee

SSR is a very low-key resort. We've owned there since 2006 and like it very much. We generally stay in Congress Park, which is the section closest to Disney Springs (seriously convenient) and has the best quiet pool for adults - no kid-friendly features so stays very quiet, and has a nice hot-tub, too! No beverages or food nearby, so BYO.

Congress Park and Springs are the sections at SSR rated "preferred" which means they are closer to Disney Springs or Carriage House and larger feature pool. If you are in standard category, your choices are Grandstand, Carousel or Paddock. Grandstand is also fairly quiet, they have a decent pool with some bar/light food service and a few kids features but not as elaborate as the fully themes pools. Grandstand is first on/off for buses and sections can be a very close walk to Carriage House for quick service and front desk or to boat to Disney Springs or bridge path to West Side.

Carousel is furthest from everything, including pools. It is 2nd on bus route.

Paddock is very desirable because it has its own feature pool and quick service that is open breakfast through dinner. Standard burger/dog/brakfast sandwich stuff. Major quick service is Artist's Palate in the Carriage House, and that's a bit of walk, but doesn't have to be bad.

Refillable mugs are generally not convenient at SSR unless you are close to Carriage House or Paddock pool.

We have always had good luck with buses, but like POR, they do have multiple stops (5). We find they run frequently enough to not complain, but you can always get caught with a slow one. Once you leave the resort, most parks should be 10 to 15 minutes away, so the location really isn't bad.

To us, the SSR vibe is relaxation, easy walk to Disney Springs, and spend as much time at the parks as you want without being overwhelmed by them.

Enjoy!

slappy magoo

The theming isn't going to knock your socks off...unless it does, different strokes and all that.

The exterior walkways can wind up looking a bit shoddy - dirt and spider webs and debris have a habit of blowing in if the grounds crew isn't on its game.

The sit down restaurant is only open for dinner...but you're very close to DS so you have all those dining options a brief stroll or boat ride away (I'm all about the Breakfast Pizza @ Wolfgang Puck Express in the Marketplace section).

Rooms are nice, both feature pools are nice, the quiet pools are nice. I guess they no longer offer boat rentals, that's a drag.

It's a fine resort. I've never regretted any stay we've had there, it's just that compared to some of the other resorts, it doesn't scream "DISNEY!" But again, depending on your tastes and mood, a more subdued theme might be preferable.

CaptainAmerica

Was Old Key West available? Usually that's one of the others that's available late in the game along with SSR. Similar in many ways, but a bit brighter overall and the rooms are enormous.

slappy magoo

Was Old Key West available? Usually that's one of the others that's available late in the game along with SSR. Similar in many ways, but a bit brighter overall and the rooms are enormous.
I looked at availability online, too. For a Deluxe Studio (and I'm assuming the OP is getting a studio, I could be wrong), there are currently 3 nights that are booked solid - 7/3, 7/4 and 7/18. But of course, if the OP's dates coincide with any of those, it only takes one night to screw up those plans.

jaklgreen

I stayed at SSR for the fist time last fall. I really liked it. The room was nice and clean, the location was great, and I loved being able to walk to Disney Springs. I spent a couple of days at the pool and the ladies there were walking around with a cooler handing out frozen grapes and chilled towels(for free!). This being a DVC resort, there are plenty of things to do. You will have a great time.

Pachanga5

Original Poster
@Tony the Tigger highlighted what I think is one of the best things about SSR. "It’s a quieter resort, feels a bit removed from all the crazy."

That, for us, is a huge plus. SSR has five pools, beautifully landscaped grounds, nice rooms, and is quiet and feels un-crowded.
The proximity to DS is another big plus.
We have stayed there three times and will be going back. We have not stayed there in July, so I can't comment on how it would be in the oppressive heat, but it is a wonderful place in the Spring and Fall.
Here is a link to a trip report from a couple of years ago with plenty of photos if you would like to see some photos of the grounds.

Thank you for sharing this. The photos look beautiful and the resort seems nice and relaxing. The reflections on the water are gorgeous. I’m also intrigued by the House of Blues Gospel Brunch. Is this every Sunday?

Pachanga5

Original Poster
The theming isn't going to knock your socks off...unless it does, different strokes and all that.

The exterior walkways can wind up looking a bit shoddy - dirt and spider webs and debris have a habit of blowing in if the grounds crew isn't on its game.

The sit down restaurant is only open for dinner...but you're very close to DS so you have all those dining options a brief stroll or boat ride away (I'm all about the Breakfast Pizza @ Wolfgang Puck Express in the Marketplace section).

Rooms are nice, both feature pools are nice, the quiet pools are nice. I guess they no longer offer boat rentals, that's a drag.

It's a fine resort. I've never regretted any stay we've had there, it's just that compared to some of the other resorts, it doesn't scream "DISNEY!" But again, depending on your tastes and mood, a more subdued theme might be preferable.
Do you happen to know if they still have bass fishing excursions here? That is something my husband would enjoy.

Pachanga5

Original Poster
I looked at availability online, too. For a Deluxe Studio (and I'm assuming the OP is getting a studio, I could be wrong), there are currently 3 nights that are booked solid - 7/3, 7/4 and 7/18. But of course, if the OP's dates coincide with any of those, it only takes one night to screw up those plans.
Our dates are 7/13-7/19. We are booked in a deluxe studio preferred.

epcotisbest

Thank you for sharing this. The photos look beautiful and the resort seems nice and relaxing. The reflections on the water are gorgeous. I’m also intrigued by the House of Blues Gospel Brunch. Is this every Sunday?

Yes, every Sunday. One of our favorite things to do. Have gone multiple times and loved it more each trip. The food is fantastic, the entertainment fantastic, just an all around good time if you like good food and uplifting music.

Here is a link:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom