San Diego > DLR transportation options

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So we're looking to take a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Diego and want to cap the trip off with a few nights at DLR. Any recommendations on getting from San Diego to DLR?

truecoat

I went to SD in 2014 with my wife as she had a conference. We had rented a car and my son and I drove 3 days in a row up to DL. It was about an hour and a half drive but if traffic scares you then I’d skip doing that.

I loved the drive. The Camry I rented did 80 up and done the hills and corners so I didn’t mind the drive at all.

TP2000

If you've got good roller luggage, and assuming your ship docks at one of the northern berths, you could walk from the ship to the wonderful Santa Fe Depot. If it's a trek or you just don't want to walk, an Uber will get you there in 3 minutes.
Voit_Santa_Fe_Depot_Exterior_t670.jpg

Then you take one of the dozen-per-day Pacific Surfliners from San Diego to Anaheim. They leave every 90 minutes or so. It's wise to make a reservation, and spring for the extra 13 bucks for "Business Class". You don't get a whole lot of extra service in Business Class, aside from a free drink and a USA Today, but the car is quieter and there's more leg room and you have a better chance of having space in the luggage racks for your bags. Business Class is worth it for the luggage convenience, and reservations put your mind at ease. https://www.amtrak.com/home.html

Sit on the left side of the train for great ocean views from Del Mar to San Juan Capistrano.
la-tr-thanksgiving-amtrak-pacific-surfliner-train-20161107

Two hours later you are at Anaheim's ARTIC station, go out front and get an Uber to your hotel.
Document

The whole thing will take about three hours, maybe four depending on train chosen, from ship's pier to your Anaheim hotel.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom