Samsung Pay @ Walt Disney World

FrostyNaples

Device used: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - AT&T

Successfully used Samsung Pay @ the world a few weekends ago for all purchases.

NFC & MST transactions worked flawlessly.

Green Mickey's every time for the NFC transactions, and MST worked great at a few of the non-Disney owned retailers with mag swipe only terminals.

If you are not familiar with this technology and have a 2015 Samsung flagship phone, I highly recommend using the service.

Works were Apple Pay does not, due to the MST tech (any mag swipe POS terminal, where as Apple Pay requires NFC capable POS terminal).

Mobile payment tokenization, zero account information is transmitted during the one time use transaction, no way for thieves to skim your info. Safer that using credit card alone, even the newer chip kinds (which in themselves was a step in the right direction).

Started using this everywhere now, Publix, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, pretty much all my offline purchases. :D:cool::p

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Were you able to use MST at any Disney operated locations? The official line is that Samsung Pay MST is not accepted at any Walt Disney World location. Only the NFC system is supported - same as Apple Pay.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Were you able to use MST at any Disney operated locations? The official line is that Samsung Pay MST is not accepted at any Walt Disney World location. Only the NFC system is supported - same as Apple Pay.

All of the Disney owned locations had NFC up and running, so I never had a chance to try MST on them.

It's very possible they are locked out, even with NFC when paying with phone, you have to tell the CM first, they push a button, and then its ready for the transaction to take place. NFC would not work unless the CM got it ready, which to me was odd, but i'm sure they have an extremely complex POS system.

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

All of the Disney owned locations had NFC up and running, so I never had a chance to try MST on them.

It's very possible they are locked out, even with NFC when paying with phone, you have to tell the CM first, they push a button, and then its ready for the transaction to take place. NFC would not work unless the CM got it ready, which to me was odd, but i'm sure they have an extremely complex POS system.

Just activated Samsung Pay - what's MST?

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Just activated Samsung Pay - what's MST?

MST is the tech that a normal credit card uses during a physical swipe.

Samsung Pay is equipped to use this tech, you hover the phone over the magstripe reader on the POS terminal.

This is was makes Samsung Pay so versatile during the transition of POS terminals from old school MST to NFC and beyond.

Every other mobile payment method currently requires updated POS terminals of NFC capability, Samsung Pay can handle virtually any credit card terminal old and new.

Read more but searching how Samsung Pay Works on Google and youtube. Plenty of info out there.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

@FrostyNaples any idea if this works with the Note 4? I believe it was the only device of the last generation that shipped with NFC.

ETA: I can't wait for integration of device NFC into MDX (you know it's coming). It'll be legit to be able to use my phone for everything and not even need the MagicBand, let alone my wallet or any other admission media.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
@FrostyNaples any idea if this works with the Note 4? I believe it was the only device of the last generation that shipped with NFC.

ETA: I can't wait for integration of device NFC into MDX (you know it's coming). It'll be legit to be able to use my phone for everything and not even need the MagicBand, let alone my wallet or any other admission media.

As of today from Samsung's support site:

Supported Devices:
galaxy-s6-edge-plus.png
note-5.png
galaxy-s6-edge.png

galaxy-s6.png
galaxy-s6-active.png

At one point I was sure they might include older models at least for the NFC capability, but then I realize they probably want you to buy the newest phone like any other marketing scheme. Apple does it, and these two large companies seems to imitate one another.

Now of course, once all POS stations are upgraded to NFC, the MST side of what Samsung offers will be a mute point, but that will be years, for sure at least in the US.

As far as I've seen from large US retailers, they are only 'complying' with the latest credit card 'chip' POS terminals, and only smaller companies are actually doing NFC capable.

Walmart for example, no NFC, they just upgraded all the stores around me for credit card CHIP reading, but that was it. What a waste in my opinion, you have the opportunity to invest in future tech, just do it already.

So MST will be around for a good long while, and you can bet going forward all Samsung flagship devices will be equipped.

We are not that far off from 2016 flagships landing this spring, so another whole slew of Samsung Pay customers added to 2015 lineup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crawdaddydoo92

I've bee loving Samsung Pay for awhile now. I love teaching folks about it, especially those that are like "oh we don't take apple pay here". The one place I often need a real card, and I'm curious about WDW being the same way, is at restaurants. Some have those tabletop payment systems but otherwise you're usually out of luck.
By the way for those who "don't speak geek" the terms he's been using are
MST - Magnetic Strip Technology
NFC - Near Frequency Communication
The first is unique to Samsung Pay and basically just means the phone sends out the information to the strip reader that it's looking for from a swiped card. I don't know if that can be turned off as much as not turned on so that the system was ready for a card to be swiped.
The second is what all non card payment systems were built around and is just a wireless conversation between a device, like your phone or a mobile speed pass, and a payment console, like the register, credit card terminal or gas pump. Thing is each payment system speaks a different language and the register needs to understand it to accept it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom