wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A look outside and inside

Salt-and-Straw-Disney-Springs_Full_47146.jpg

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I will miss Ample Hills, but this will be a solid replacement. A Kelly's would have been awesome option given the local tie. But, Salt and Straw is a unique offering for Orlando. So, all in all, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Epcot82Guy

I stopped by last night. There was a line, and they were using a virtual queue system. But, we got called back in 5 minutes, and they were churning people through the line quite quickly. (The team was HUSTLING - huge shout out to them!) The ice cream was pretty good. Some interesting flavors, no doubt. And, the quality itself was decent. It's quite pricey as expected. All in all, I think I liked Ample a bit better, but it's not a bad replacement given the circumstances surrounding Ample's bankruptcy. And, again, the staff were top notch!

SpectroMagician

I would say no ice cream place "wants" you to try everything for free. That means both higher costs for the business and more work for the employees. They certainly want you to just order what you want and move on. In fact it is really taking advantage of them to try more than 1 or 2.

Frankly you should test zero - you are an adult, make a decision. If it ends up being the wrong decision and you do not like it suck it up like an adult and move on with your life.

Epcot82Guy

I would say no ice cream place "wants" you to try everything for free. That means both higher costs for the business and more work for the employees. They certainly want you to just order what you want and move on. In fact it is really taking advantage of them to try more than 1 or 2.

Frankly you should test zero - you are an adult, make a decision. If it ends up being the wrong decision and you do not like it suck it up like an adult and move on with your life.

At this point, I would disagree. No less than three team members encouraged people to taste things. Making clear you are very welcome to try everything. I agree with your business assessment, but that's not the model Salt and Straw is pushing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

No. The management made it quite clear to us that they want people to sample, and it doesn't matter how many. Company policy - they are aiming to be different.

And... they even have a sign.

DSC08117-1.jpg

tcool123

No. The management made it quite clear to us that they want people to sample, and it doesn't matter how many. Company policy - they are aiming to be different.

And... they even have a sign.

View attachment 634664
I am glad that they do this, every location has local flavors alongside other flavors that some may consider exotic.

Nobody is clamoring to try Vanilla but flavors such as Pear & Blue Cheese, Arbequina Olive Oil, or Honey Lavender likely would not get as many sales if samples weren't allowed due to their more unique flavor. It makes business sense to allow samples, sure there may be some that don't buy anything but the benefits outweigh the costs.

JAB

They definitely appear to let you sample as much as you want. The Trackers went to S & S, and 8 minutes of the video (so probably at least 10 minutes of actual unedited time) is just them standing at the counter asking to sample every single flavor.

SpectroMagician

They definitely appear to let you sample as much as you want. The Trackers went to S & S, and 8 minutes of the video (so probably at least 10 minutes of actual unedited time) is just them standing at the counter asking to sample every single flavor.
That sounds both horrible for the employees, the business, and other customers. I assume they charge outrageous prices to make up for all the free stuff given away and the slow moving line that turns away customers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom