Sailing like a Celebrity -- a non-DCL cruise report

Zipadeelady

Depends. Classic covers up to $10/drink. Premium covers up to/$17. So your drinking habits will dictate happiness ;-) In either scenario if your drink of choice exceeds your limit then you just pay the difference and gratuity. So if you’re talking Blantons, Angel’s Envy, and Macallan you need to pay the difference with classic. Not a big deal though. If you’re a big martini drinker then Id recommend the Premium. Plus the premium covers all the smoothies, bottled water, and premium coffees.

I think premium is worth it, it is also cheaper to upgrade it before you get on the ship.

The packages also cover wine by the glass, and a lot of the nicer wines are between $11 and $17 a glass (go figure)

The "healthy" smoothies in the Solarium area are also covered with the Premium, which are pretty nice (At least I think so, they have a lot of vegetables, and seeds in them, if you are into that sort of thing)

Well *insert word here*. All the Memorial day sales are over. I'll watch for the next set of sales and upgrade. Got to keep the Husband happy.

Last edited:

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I'd sailed out of Bayonne, but I'd forgotten that we could see the Statue of Liberty from port.

IMG_20230506_142329328.jpg

IMG_20230506_155203853.jpg

IMG_20230506_163946885_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230507_061412742_HDR.jpg

This is the most famous piece of artwork on the ship, so I had to pose with it.

IMG_20230508_170522978.jpg

Phonedave

Well *insert word here*. All the Memorial day sales are over. I'll watch for the next set of sales and upgrade. Got to keep the Husband happy.
It is not really a sale on the upgrade. It is what it is. If you upgrade the package now, it is a certain amount. If you upgrade it on the ship, it is more. That is just how it is.

KeithVH

Thanks so much for this report. Finding solid info on other lines that I trust is difficult. I'm most curious about the food quality overall. Admittedly, haven't been on a sailing since an EBPC late 2019. But, in all my cruises up to till that one, never had an issue with the food. Nothing, inedible, over- or under-cooked, etc. Nowadays, after C19, it seems all lines are missing the mark to one extent or another (if ALL the trip reports are to be believed.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
. I'm most curious about the food quality overall.

The food quality in the main dining room and in the Tuscan Grille (the only specialty restaurant that we tried) was almost always very good to excellent. There were a few "meh" entrees in Cosmopolitan, but only one or two. The only thing that was inedible was the blueberry crumble dessert early in the cruise. It was truly terrible. But other than that, almost everything was very good to excellent. All of Kathryn's lamb dishes were excellent. Some of the soups/appetizers were just ok. The Caesar salad (which is on the menu every night) was serviceable, and I had it multiple times when the appetizers were not to my liking.

The buffet food at Oceanview Cafe, and the quick-service food at the poolside grill were ok. Certainly not as good as the buffet food that we had on Princess when we sailed to Hawaii. But better than what we had on the NCL Breakaway. It was fine, with a couple of unfortunate things that I've already commented on. (The way-too-spicy Mexican station, and the weird fruit pancakes.) The poolside grill only serves hot dogs and hamburgers, so it's hard to mess up, but not all that interesting.

I do regret not spending the money to try Qsine. It looks like a wonderful experience, and I'm really curious about the show that's projected onto the table.

Phonedave

Thanks so much for this report. Finding solid info on other lines that I trust is difficult. I'm most curious about the food quality overall. Admittedly, haven't been on a sailing since an EBPC late 2019. But, in all my cruises up to till that one, never had an issue with the food. Nothing, inedible, over- or under-cooked, etc. Nowadays, after C19, it seems all lines are missing the mark to one extent or another (if ALL the trip reports are to be believed.
I have sailed on the same ship that ChuckElias was on both pre and post COVID - in fact I had one cruise on that ship postponed twice because of COVID.

My experience.

Buffet was pretty much the same before and after.

"quick serve" was the same as before

Tuscan Grill was just as good (if not maybe better) than pre-COVID. The portions were smaller, which was good, because you could then sample multiple things, as opposed to trying just one item.

We were upgraded to Aqua class on this last cruise (mainly because of the 2 COVID postponements) so we ate in Blu, not the Cosmopolitan, so I really can not compare. Blu food is "different" it is more with an eye to being healthy as well as more worldly favors. Many times the people in my party did not want that, so they ordered off of the Cosmopolitan menu (which they said was very good). Me however, I like all that stuff, so I ate the Blu food the entire Cruise. Which was excellent, but I cannot directly compare it to the Cosmopolitan.

Phonedave

I do regret not spending the money to try Qsine. It looks like a wonderful experience, and I'm really curious about the show that's projected onto the table.

I did Qsine before they introduced the table show. The food the was very good and very innovative.

Now it seems more pedestrian and limited (so that they can make it work with The Little Chef).

They don't do the "whimsy" stuff anymore , like the Meatball Trilogy, Sushi Lollipops, Slider Party, Crunchie Munchies, or Painters Mignon. Those were all really cool plating and services.

I'm sure the little chef show is cool too, but the first iteration was neat.

Phonedave

I remember the art on the Summit just being weird. With that said, the art is one of the things I really like about Celebrity. There were a couple pieces on the Edge I really liked.

Art can be very subjective. I always liked this one on the Summit. The art the Summit (and other Celebrity ships have) may not speak to everybody, but it does provoke thought and conversation.

1686932596497.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom